Racing Rituals? (Read 706 times)

Do you have any racing rituals/ superstitions? The night before a race, I always eat a little bowl of ice cream, shave and shower, and lay out everything I need for the race - shoes, socks, skirt, sports bra, shirt (with the number already pinned), watch, hat, chip, etc.
    2009: BQ?
      You mean other than praying for the speed demon in me to kick in? I get everthing ready just like you, and shower, so I don't have to have wet hair if it's going to be cold in the morning. And I get my post-race bag ready, with nourishment, sweat pants and shirt, etc.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Scout7

Right before the race, I have to get my focus. That usually involves going off, maybe stretching a little, and getting the head in the game. Sometimes music helps.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The night before a race, I always eat a little bowl of ice cream, shave and shower, and lay out everything I need for the race - shoes, socks, skirt, sports bra, shirt (with the number already pinned), watch, hat, chip, etc.
          Ditto...I make sure my chip is on my shoes, too. The morning of the race I make sure my coffee is fully consumed a good 90 minutes before gun (preferably 2 full hours before)...cleans everything out so that I haven't yet had to hit a port-a-john during a race. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, my main ritual would have to be about 4 trips to the crapper, because it doesn't matter how many times I've taken care of business. Once my nreves get worked up, there always seems to be more. It slmost seems to violate the Law of Conservation of Matter. Then, there's the pre-race yawn. I almost always yawn at the starting line. It's a combination nervous thing plus not sleeping well the night before. Someone once showed me a snapshot of me yawning before a high school X-C race that I did well at. Dude said, "No wonder you ran so well. Look how relaxed you were." I said, "No wonder I was yawning, I only slept 3 hours last night." Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Well, my main ritual would have to be about 4 trips to the crapper, because it doesn't matter how many times I've taken care of business. Once my nreves get worked up, there always seems to be more. It slmost seems to violate the Law of Conservation of Matter.

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

so true

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

Imminent Catastrophe

I always crumple up my race bib really good, a bunch of times, until it looks like it's been laundered. That way it's like cloth and not "stiff". Also, my wife and I both try to find a dog to pet before the race, because our two dogs are our running partners.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Before every race I buy a new pair of Dri-fit socks from Niketown.
                      I start of with evacuation and a bowel moment before getting some fibrous cereal and a pint of water. Other than that I really have not been paying attention as my focus is making it to the starting line. I have found eating an hour or 2 before going out makes a difference with how I feel at the finish line. Dang, we got some tall skinny folks on here.

Vim

shonan marathon, girl

Trim and cut my toenails, then rub my feet with vaseline. Make sure I am wearing my phiten titanium necklace. I also crumble up my race bib so that it isn't stiff.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!