Blister treatment? (Read 663 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so I have this sizable blister that is over a week old. It's on the side of the base of my big toe. It has not "deflated" at all in a week's time (and I haven't run since Sunday due to a bad chest/lung bug, so it's not that the area has been continuously rubbed). I'm not keen on the idea of popping it, since I know that can lead to infection, but I'm getting sick of looking at it and knowing that I will have to cover it to run. I have a tub of Blister Shield that I will start using preventatively (at least with my favorite pair that has caused the issue after they were already broken-in and trouble-free for the first 75 miles), but I'm not sure what to do with this blister in the mean time.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ignore it. Or pop it. Does not matter. And NO. It won't get infected.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I might pop it, then. Heh...sounds fun! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

If it's big, then do it somewhere easy to clean up (like the tub). I usually heat up a safety pin. Or just grab it between my fingers and twist. Depends upon the mood that I'm in.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I remember my mom popping blisters after heating a pin/needle in a flame. Now I just need to find a pin. I suppose one of the random safety pins hanging off my race bibs would probably do the job. Should I at least use a little rubbing alcohol on the popped blister and a band-aid with some Neosporin overnight? k

~ Sarah Kay

It wouldn't hurt, but you probably already have some new skin growing underneath if it has been a week.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Which word of "it won't get infected" did you not understand? Big grin Blisters are seperations between two superficial layers of skin, and even the deeper layer is still good solid skin. It may be raw. It may hurt. But it is enough to serve as a barrier against infection.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which word of "it won't get infected" did you not understand? Big grin
                  Bah, I'm still a creature of conventional wisdom... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

As far as I know the flame is not to heat the needle but to sterilize it. We (my mom when I was a kid, and myself now) would always just put rubbing alcohol on the needle and the blister with a cotton ball. But yes, pop it and put it out of its misery. That will let it dry out and quit putting pressure against the edges of the blister where the layers of skin join - that's what makes them painful, in my observation.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As far as I know the flame is not to heat the needle but to sterilize it.
                      Ah, yeah, I shouldn't have used the term "heat," it's definitely for the purpose of sterilizing. Popped that sucker last night...looks fine today, just a patch of dead, loose skin where the blister was. I'm hoping to do a run tomorrow in the culprit shoes, but with some Blister Shield powder in that sock. k

~ Sarah Kay