Getting dizzy on SHORT runs. (Read 1294 times)

pitrunner

I don't know what the heck is going on with my body right now, but I can't seem to get through my easy short runs during the week without getting really dizzy, cold, clammy, and out of sorts. I had originally guessed that it was a blood sugar issue, but I've really cut almost all processed, refined, white sugar out of my diet. I've tried attacking the problem in couple ways, but nothing has worked so far.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Not eating for an hour or so before I head out - still happens...

2. Eating something small before I go eg. last night I had a bit of mango and a couple crackers - symptoms were worse than ever only 1.5 miles in...

It's only really happening on my evening runs during the week and not during my weekend runs which are usually much earlier. But still, even before these morning runs I do eat something - usually an espresso and a homemade muffin.

Here's my usual diet during the day if it helps at all:

Pre Breakfast - big espresso

Breakfast - apple w/ peanut butter

snack - banana and/or homemade vegan muffin

Lunch - big salad or soup

snack - crackers or fruit (mango or watermelon lately)

Dinner - some type of vegetable - usually just steamed green beans or broccoli

I know I need to see a doctor...and I will, I just want to some input on what I'm even asking him to test for.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Here's my usual diet during the day if it helps at all:

Pre Breakfast - big espresso

Breakfast - apple w/ peanut butter

snack - banana and/or homemade vegan muffin

Lunch - big salad or soup

snack - crackers or fruit (mango or watermelon lately)

Dinner - some type of vegetable - usually just steamed green beans or broccoli

I would be light headed and weak trying to survive on this amount of food without trying to run too! Ok, so that wasn't really a constructive comment...but seriously, have you thought of increasing your calories a little?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

pitrunner

I would be light headed and weak trying to survive on this amount of food without trying to run too! Ok, so that wasn't really a constructive comment...but seriously, have you thought of increasing your calories a little?

Really? I feel like I eat a lot. I don't feel hungry except right when I wake up in the morning. By big salad, I mean an effing huge salad - it's loaded with black beans, corn, romaine, spinach, avocado, tomatoes, celery...pretty much anything I can find. And I put a decent amount of lemon tahini dressing on it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...that...and where's the protein?  Everyone talks about PB having so much protein...but a person would have to eat a LOT of PB to get a really measurable amount.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Really? I feel like I eat a lot. I don't feel hungry except right when I wake up in the morning. By big salad, I mean an effing huge salad - it's loaded with black beans, corn, romaine, spinach, avocado, tomatoes, celery...pretty much anything I can find. And I put a decent amount of lemon tahini dressing on it.

Well, if you don't feel hungry with what you are eating then that may not be it. But I would've probably guessed the blood sugar thing too. I def get light headed and weak if I am hungry (whether I'm running or not).

MTA - maybe just take a peek at the nutrition content of what you are consuming in a normal day and see if you are getting enough fat, carbs, protein etc.....

pitrunner

Yeah...that...and where's the protein?  Everyone talks about PB having so much protein...but a person would have to eat a LOT of PB to get a really measurable amount.

Ok, just to check I put my usual daily diet into spark people and I'm definitely fine on the protein. More importantly, I had blood work done a few months ago and my protein, iron, (and pretty much everything else) all checked out fine. I don't know what else to get my doctor to check for. A glucose test??

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Problems with blood pressure can cause dizziness. However, I think the others are on track with the calories though; since you are tracking it, do you know how many calories per day you are eating?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

+2 on too few calories

Watermelon for your afternoon snack and only veggies for supper? Watermelon is almost all water. One cup of diced watermelon is only 46 calories. I'd say you also need to add some protein to your diet, try a protein shack during the day and definately after your runs.

Do you keep a log of the calories you consume in a day and how many calories you burn? I would try that for awhile and increase your calories to a point where your comfortable on your long runs and not gaining weight from the increased calories. Fitday.com does a nice job at providing a free food and exercise log.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

pitrunner

Problems with blood pressure can cause dizziness. However, I think the others are on track with the calories though; since you are tracking it, do you know how many calories per day you are eating?

Looks to be about 1200-1500. Some of the foods I usually eat aren't in the database and I make a lot of homemade muffins and breads - I'm at 1100 without adding that stuff in, so I'm approximating.

That's about what I've always eaten and have been fine until now

pitrunner

+2 on too few calories

Watermelon for your afternoon snack and only veggies for supper? Watermelon is almost all water. One cup of diced watermelon is only 46 calories. I'd say you also need to add some protein to your diet, try a protein shack during the day and definately after your runs.

Do you keep a log of the calories you consume in a day and how many calories you burn? I would try that for awhile and increase your calories to a point where your comfortable on your long runs and not gaining weight from the increased calories. Fitday.com does a nice job at providing a free food and exercise log.

I really have considered that, but if that really were the case, wouldn't it also be happening on my weekend runs in the mornings? In the morning I'm even lower on fuel than my evening runs.

I can't keep a log. It leads to craziness on my part. I check in every once in awhile to make sure things are on track, but doing so daily would drive me to bad things.

Looks like your total exercising time has increase in the last two months from a June-July average of 12 hours to a August-September average of 19 hours. Could be lacking calories?

Maybe your overtrained, your body is stressed, exhausted and by the time you go on your evening runs. In the morning your well rested.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

pitrunner

Looks like your total exercising time has increase in the last two months from a June-July average of 12 hours to a August-September average of 19 hours. Could be lacking calories?

Well I guess it's worth a try. I was injured in June/July and wasn't exercising as much as I'd liked to - funny thing is, I managed to lose weight. Now that I'm getting back from injury and exercising more, I can't lose a stinking pound!

So who has recommendations on how to add healthy calories into your diet...when you're not hungry

Protein bars and shakes?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Well I guess it's worth a try. I was injured in June/July and wasn't exercising as much as I'd liked to - funny thing is, I managed to lose weight. Now that I'm getting back from injury and exercising more, I can't lose a stinking pound!

So who has recommendations on how to add healthy calories into your diet...when you're not hungry

Peanut butter is a good way but it looks like you are already getting a bit of that. Maybe some additional whole grains...that will give you good fiber, some carbs and protein. I don't have a clue how to eat as a vegetarian! 

I understand not wanting to obsess over everything you put in your mouth...but maybe track for a week along with how you feel on your runs.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Protein bars and shakes?

Is low fat dairy out???