Buying a bike (Read 1355 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I looked at several bikes. This is the one I liked the best, the 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2: The fellow measured me at 53 cm, which means a 52 or a 54 bike. I liked both, but was a touch more comfortable on the 54. However, the guy (who seemed to know his stuff) told me that it is generally better to err a touch small than a touch big, since it can be adjusted away and too large means I will be stretching. Also, the 52 has the race handle while the 54 has straight handles (unless I want to pay $200 more for the 2007 model). Other details: Frameset Frame Alpha SL Aluminum Fork Bontrager Satellite Plus, carbon Wheels Bontrager SSR Tires Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, 700x28c Shifters Shimano Tiagra STI, 9 speed Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 Crank Bontrager Select 52/42/30 Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25, 9 speed Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Carbon Handlebars Bontrager Select VR w/BzzzKill damper inserts, 26.0mm Stem Bontrager Select, 7 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Tiagra STI levers Thoughts? Biking to and from work, riding with folks on the weekend from time to time, and with the kiddos around the neighborhood when they will let me.
    va

I don't know much about bikes but am curious (maybe a tri in my future). Can you race in a tri with this bike? What is the asking price? Can(did) you haggle?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Price is $749. I think you can race a tri, although Trek does have a line of tri bikes.
          That's a great bike and a good deal Trent. A decent bike for a starter racer and even better for your interest. You have made me so jealous now. I used to cycle/race and I want a bike again, NOW. Thanks Trent Cry Enjoy MTA: Just add a set of clip-on handlebars and get some 20cc tires and your set for a tri.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's a great bike and a good deal Trent. A decent bike for a starter racer and even better for your interest.
            did concurs. Now you need some fugly bib shorts and clipless pedals. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

did concurs.
              My impression is that this is a real solid endorsement. When it comes to bikes, think WWDD.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A friend suggests I buy a used bike instead. There are a couple of Trek 1000 series bikes available on craigslist for around $700ish. But they retail lower than the Trek Pilot. WWDD?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A friend suggests I buy a used bike instead. There are a couple of Trek 1000 series bikes available on craigslist for around $700ish. But they retail lower than the Trek Pilot. WWDD?
                  Hmmm...I'm guessing did would say that if you can get a good fit on the used bike, then go for it--but he had a very thorough fitting to make certain that he was on the right bike and in the right frame size. Kinda like buying running shoes from a running retailer--that extra attention during a fitting is worth the $$. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

A Trek 1000 for $700 (and no shop support) is not a good deal, and given what you're planning to do on it, you're better off with the Pilot. The 1000 has "race" geometry, which will put you more bent over, with more weight on your hands and shoulders and more stress on your neck and lower back. The Pilot will be more upright (but certainly not to the point of being an ice-cream ride bike); you'll like it. Definitely get the drop-bar version, though. Flat bars have only one way you can sit, drop bars you have 3 or 4 (on the tops, on the brake levers, and on the drops). Changing position helps keep you stay comfortable on longer rides. did

I have a Specialized "relaxed geometry" bike and I just put some aerobars on it for a Tri I'm doing in Aug. Sure it's not a Tri-specific bike but it will get the job done. My LBS adjusted it so when I do get on the bars, I'm in a good position. When buying a bike, I think it's more important to be comfortable no matter what the purpose or else you'll end up not riding it. Your butt will go through enough pain in the first few rides for you to not need extra pain on top of it from you neck and shoulders. Whether you buy new or used, make sure you try out both and not let saving a $100 be the deciding factor if the slightly more expensive bike feels a tad bit better.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post Also now looking at a Felt F80, 2006 model at $799 from $999 retail. (this is all for the 2007 F85, but it is similar I believe) FRAME Felt Exclusive 7005 F-Lite custom-butted aluminum tubing. Externally relieved integrated head tube, forged dropouts with replaceable hanger FORK Felt Carbon Fiber Fork with Aluminum Steerer DRIVETRAIN Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur/105 20-speed Shifters and Front Derailleur, FSA Gossamer Aluminum with ISIS BB with 50/36T Chainrings, 650c 53/39 WHEELSET Alex AKX 700c R2.0 wheelset, 700 x 23 Vittoria Action HSD Folding Tires; 650c Alex AKX R2.0TRI, 650 Felt Inertia COMPONENTS Felt Aluminum Bar with Ergonomic Drop, Felt 1.2 3D-Forged Stem, Felt 1.2 Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Felt 1.3 Carbon Seatpost, Dual Pivot Aluminum Brakeset with Koolstop Cartridge Pads
                          Felt, Trek, Specialized, Giant all make good entry level rigs. Just a matter of what feels best to you. The components on the Felt look a tad bit better. Just make sure you don't get the 650c wheelset.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ended up going with the Felt, but upgraded the wheelset to Mavic Aksiums front and rear, for just $30. Plus all the other stuff I had to get, including helmet, pump, simple repair kit and underseat bag, padded shorts, etc. Holding off on clips and shoes for now. Glad the bike was $200 off!
                              650s are smaller. They are good for sprint stuff (like short tris) but they aren't as efficient in climbing. Sounds like you got a good deal. For a good pair of shoes and clips, you're looking at ~$150-200. They are worth it if you ride a lot. If you check PerformanceBike.com, you can get a good sale occasionally.