Ideas for 5k training (Read 838 times)

My goal is to get to a 21 min. 5k. Unofficially my best time yet is (as of last night) 23:30. I haven't been concentrating on training for my 5k goal because I've had longer races to train for. After Sunday's Broad Street run I won't have any long races planned so I want to focus on my 5k time. What is the best way to improve on a 5k? I think that I have best noticed improvements when I include more speed workouts in my training. I'm not sure why though. While I ran yesterday I forced myself to keep the same speed throughout, including during the 4 hills in my course. I'm thinking it might help if I force myself to speed up those hills rather than maintain the same speed. Any ideas on that? I also have been trying to do my usual 5k course and then continue on at a slower pace for another 3 or more miles. I was wondering if it would be better to concentrate on doing less mileage faster. Also, does it help to have markers throughout your run to time yourself against. Like to say this time I'll try to get to the blue house by 4 minutes instead of 5...or something like that? One house on my run is the dreaded white house, it is right at the bottom of the hill on the loop I do twice. I thought of using that but then the hill is right there. Any ideas?

Michelle

Oh...and running at the track is not really an option. The local track is kept locked up. Not sure why.

Michelle

Chris UK

I'll be interested in any replies you get as I have a 5k run coming up on July 1st. It is a charity run rather than a race but as this will be the first time I have lined up with other runners in some 30 years I would like to try and do the best I can. Although I don't expect to be a speed merchant at my age, training for longer distance events suggests at this stage of my training that I should be able to break 25 mins under racing conditions. Awaiting replies you may find these links of interest - http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/longdist/tp5k.htm http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/longdist/5ktaper.htm http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/pred5k.htm

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Wow. Lots of information in those links, thank you very much. Funny, I never realized that running was so complicated. Smile That's exciting about your running a first race since 30 years! I can't wait to hear how you do. Why did you wait so long?

Michelle

Scout7

Run alot. I know that's a little trite, but it holds true. Others on the this site can attest to that.
            JakeKnight

Run more. I know it sounds overly simplistic, but I'm now a complete convert to the mileage-mileage-mileage school of thought. If I were you right now, I'd do nothing but build up to 40 miles per week or so. 95% of it slow and easy. Maybe 100% of it slow and easy. I would definitely *not* "run less but faster." I'd do exactly the opposite. Then once you get to higher steady and consistent mileage, and stay there for a couple months, pick the 5k you're aiming to use as a goal run, and then maybe do 6 weeks of speed work leading up to it - if you think you need it. Which I don't think you would. But I'd put the mileage first. Actually, I'd make all your runs slow and easy for a while, except for a tempo run 1-2 times a week. With easy recovery runs in between. Not that I don't love the speed work. I'm aiming for the very same goal you are this summer, and I plan to do a whole lot of hard 200s/400s at the track. But that's on 40-50+ mile weeks. I wouldn't do it if the mileage wasn't in the tank already. And I'm doing the speedwork more to work on form and efficiency than on the muscles. And cuz I just love doing. Mileage works. And it keeps you injury free. I'm absolutely convinced that the answer to most running questions is: go run more. At least for us average runners. For whatever it's worth, I actually set a 5k PR a week before the CMM. On no real speedwork. I'd just run a bunch of 50 and 60 and one 70 mile weeks .... almost all of it at 9:00 pace or slower. But the weekend before the marathon, I ran a quick 5k, just to keep my legs sharp, and although the course wasn't certified, it was at least a 30 second PR. At least. All on lots of slow miles. And done pretty easily. Truth is that I think I could come close to a sub-21:00 today. All because of the mileage. I'm running a real 5k in a couple weeks, and I'll let you know if I'm right or not. We'll see. (And between now and then, most of my running will be 10:00 plus pace recovery runs ...) Run more. My 2 cents.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Run alot. I know that's a little trite, but it holds true. Others on the this site can attest to that.
                Sheesh. I'd say "great minds think alike," but that would imply that one or both of us have great minds. Which is clearly not the case.

JakeKnight

By the way, here's a 6-month old thread in which I ask the very same question. It's worth reading, if only to make fun of me. Look at how resistant I am to the (gasp) idea of running base mileage of 40-50 miles per week ... and 6 months later, that doesn't even seem like much - and I'm preaching the very same gospel. I don't even recognize some of the things I'm saying in this thread as coming out of my own mouth. Hard to believe how much I've changed my perspective in six months: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/8eb63b08a4f742578f9775307ad40e4e/0 And speaking of Scout and his great mind, look at this from that same thread:
                  To add something here..... I have a friend, who is currently getting ready to taper for a marathon in which he plans on BQ'ing. He just did a 5K yesterday. He managed to destroy his previous PR on the same course (he did about 20 min, this time around he did about 18 and change). So, there's a lot to be said for having a lot of miles, as well as improving short distance times while training for a marathon.
                  Yup. Mileage is king.

Getting in more mileage per week makes sense. I guess I find that I'm a bit short with patience with my 5k goal. I've been saying that my goal is 21 minutes for a couple of years now but I haven't had the right motivation or training to do it. Being able to stay injury free would be awesome. I have noticed such an improvement with how I feel during and after running and now it makes sense since I'm running more miles now than I ever have. Having the firm foundation of a long distance running ability would certainly open my chances for great improvements with shorter races. This is the time when having someone to run a program with would be ideal. Having guidance on when and how much to run is something that would help me greatly. Thanks JK and Scout

Michelle

By the way, here's a 6-month old thread in which I ask the very same question. It's worth reading, if only to make fun of me. Look at how resistant I am to the (gasp) idea of running base mileage of 40-50 miles per week ... and 6 months later, that doesn't even seem like much - and I'm preaching the very same gospel. I don't even recognize some of the things I'm saying in this thread as coming out of my own mouth. Hard to believe how much I've changed my perspective in six months: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/8eb63b08a4f742578f9775307ad40e4e/0 And speaking of Scout and his great mind, look at this from that same thread: Yup. Mileage is king.
                      Looks like there will be plenty of good advice in that thread. I'll go back later and read over it. Thanks again JK! BTW - Nice new pic in your profile.

Michelle

Chris UK

That's exciting about your running a first race since 30 years! I can't wait to hear how you do. Why did you wait so long?
                        Motorbikes/racing, football, metal detecting, beer, girls, marriage, kids, work.... etc. Just too many other things going on in my life. But now I'm making time for it again - the last throw of the dice you might say. Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Motorbikes/racing, football, metal detecting, beer, girls, marriage, kids, work.... etc. Just too many other things going on in my life. But now I'm making time for it again - the last throw of the dice you might say. Wink
                          You've got lots of throws left!

Michelle

Scout7

Heh.....Blast from the past right there.....Thanks, JK.
                              Wish I had some good advice but seing as I've yet to start my speedwork (2 more weeks) I have no experience. I do agree about more miles though!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Why is it sideways?

I don't even recognize some of the things I'm saying in this thread as coming out of my own mouth. Hard to believe how much I've changed my perspective in six months: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/8eb63b08a4f742578f9775307ad40e4e/0
                                Yep--Jake basically exploded my suggestions in that thread with his recent training. Scout and mikeymike don't have to eat crow. I do. I started listening to them (and read a lot of stuff online--google "Hadd training"), and now I'm no longer afraid of two things I used to be afraid of: running easy and running every day. Make yourself into an aerobic beast and you will run fast. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes. Aerobic strength is speed in distance running.