Personal Record Question (Read 761 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

A lot of Masters I know say they adjust their PR as they enter the next age group. So now, a PR at a half marathon could technically be slower than when they were 20 years younger, but you gotta take age into consideration. Everyone gets slower as they get older* (*after a point at least)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

The shirtless wonder

When I was younger I used to golf. I expected every shot to be perfect and got angry when it wasn't. I had very unrealistic expectations. I realized that I wasn't having fun and I stopped golfing. That was at a time when I was working at a pro-shop and could golf for free anytime I wanted. I didn't want to even when it was free! I ruined the sport for myself. When I discovered that I liked running I told myself that I would never let it become like golf. I told myself that I'd keep my expectations checked in reality and that I'd never let things get out of hand. I've been running races since almost the time I started running. I love races! I don't care for the competition but I love having lots of people around. It's just a really fun atmosphere. I've had a lot of really interesting conversations during races. My experience has been that most people running races are not there to compete with others. Some are competing against themselves (for a PR) but most are just there to run and if they get a PR in the process they are happy.
      xor

I was hella faster pre-chemo. Needless to say, I started my PR whiteboard over again.

I have enjoyed two "running lives"....ages 44-51 and 58-61. I kept separate PR logs for them. (They are here.) I will reach 70 years old in a few weeks and haven't been running much for the last few years. If I start a third running life in my 70's, I will begin a third PR log.

jules2

I'm lucky ( apart from being currently injured ) I only started running late in life so I can still record lifetime best PB's.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Right on Hereford...

I'm lucky ( apart from being currently injured ) I only started running late in life so I can still record lifetime best PB's.
              Me, too! I started in my early 30s and at 38 I expect to keep getting faster for a good many years... Cool

jules2

You have 20 over me so lots of time.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.