next training program? (Read 941 times)

Hi, New runner here – I’m a 46 yr. old female. I began C25K program this fall and am finishing week 10 of 12 on Hal Higdon’s Spring Training Novice program. I’d like to do a few more 5ks in the spring, and I have my sights on a 10K this summer and maybe a mini tri if I can get some bike work in. And if I can stick with it, maybe a half marathon somewhere down the road…. I’m wondering where to go from here for a running/training schedule. I know that I will do best with a formal list or program that I can refer to. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm no coach or expert, but I am a female in your age group and was a new runner just under 2 years ago, so the below is based on my experiences, which have included many false starts, unpleasant weeks, and aches & pains. While I realize you like the structure of a formal program, I'd like to encourage you to try just listening to your body and slowly increasing your mileage. I say this for two reasons: 1) most "programs" seem to include some kind of speedwork or other "high quality" runs, when all you really need as a relative newbie is to continue to work on your base 2) no one can say with certainty how much you can increase your miles from week to week and month to month - sure there are "guidelines" (increase by 5% or 10% a week, have an easy week every 2, 3, or 4 weeks, etc.), but only you can tell for sure what's working (hint: if you're hurting or feeling run down, you're doing too much!). Meanwhile, you can always go race just for kicks n giggles if you get bored. Try to stick to this for a few months at least. Once you're at a weekly mileage load that satisfies you, then consider choosing some "quality" workouts or a training program. You'll have time before then to learn what different types of workouts do for you. You will be surprised how quickly you can work up to 20, 30, or more miles a week and how double-digit long runs become no big deal. Just a little patience and persistence. Arla

Ex runner

gregjkm

The HHST ends the the the same schedule that the beginner marathon program starts with on week one. I am only on week 4 but my plans are to do the marathon training plan but cut back the long runs some, once i finish.

Beatin' on the Rock

The HHST ends the the the same schedule that the beginner marathon program starts with on week one. I am only on week 4 but my plans are to do the marathon training plan but cut back the long runs some, once i finish.
          I ditto HH's Novice Half Marathon Training. I used C25K, then OHR, now finishing the Half program - my race is in 3 weeks! - and I've found it to be very doable and fulfilling. Best!
          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
            A belated thanks for the input. I have a running "schedule" taped to my computer - but I also plan on listening to my bod & if I need to repeat a week or add milage at a slower pace, I've told myself that's ok! I did an indoor triathalon last week - it was fun! Big grin If I can keep up the running I'm hoping to do a short course Tri this summer........... Thanks again!
              Running is definitely a goal oriented activity and a formal schedule makes it much easier to stay focused. I'm a fan of the Cool Running training programs. They are generally a little tougher than normal and do a great job of preparing you for a race. I've used both the 10K and the marathon training programs. Tom
                I am a firm opponent of anything involving "Coolrunning." You can find better or comparable plans at Hal Higdon's site, Runners' World, or visit lydiardfoundation.org and learn the basics.
                  I am a firm opponent of anything involving "Coolrunning." You can find better or comparable plans at Hal Higdon's site, Runners' World, or visit lydiardfoundation.org and learn the basics.
                  To each his own. But really...Runner's World? The only decent information I've ever found there was fashion oriented. Tom
                    To each his own. But really...Runner's World? The only decent information I've ever found there was fashion oriented. Tom
                    Fair enough. Omit RW. I thought their basic "plan" was pretty much like CR, but what do I know? (plz don't answer that)