Comment notifications (Read 841 times)

Eric,

Great job with the site. I continue to love using RA. I especially enjoy the comments feature as it's added some fun to track friends and make training more fun and accountable. One suggestion though...can the comment logo up top also provide alerts when someone comments back to you on their workout?

For instance, I comment on a friends log with a question about their training. They comment back on their log answering my question. Currently I have to just remember to go back and check their log post to see if they commented back. Any way to alert me once they (or someone else) comments on that same workout log? Almost like a subscribe feature...

Thanks,

Brian

does it do that already?  I don't even know.  I imagine most people rarely go back and look at their workouts.  I know if somone commented on mine I'd probably never know without some notification. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If person B comments on my log, I get a notification. If I answer in a comment on the same workout, I myself get a notification. That's what happens now (from experience). The OP's suggestion sounds like it would actually make more sense (but probably involve extra coding over what exists now).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

does it do that already?  I don't even know.  I imagine most people rarely go back and look at their workouts.  I know if somone commented on mine I'd probably never know without some notification. 

Just for your enjoyment, I commented on one of your workouts.  You should get notified about that.  I think the OP is saying that if you respond to my comment, I won't get notified.  Isn't that right, AP?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If person B comments on my log, I get a notification. If I answer in a comment on the same workout, I myself get a notification. That's what happens now (from experience). The OP's suggestion sounds like it would actually make more sense (but probably involve extra coding over what exists now).

Why would you get a notification about your own comment (or am I misreading this)?

I was wondering the same thing.

I think he's (Brian) asking if he makes comments on Billy Bob's log then Billy gets a notification.  Billy Bob replies back, but then Brian doesn't get notification of Billy's reply.   In order to know if there's a conversation, Brian has to remember to go back to Billy's comment to find out what's the follow up.

Or

Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third--.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why would you get a notification about your own comment (or am I misreading this)?

Probably because from the coding POV, it makes perfect sense -- you get notified when someone comments on your workout. The someone might happen to be you yourself.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

"run" "2" "eat"

you get notified when someone comments on your log, including yourself. the comments are (as far as the system knows) simple and unrelated notations on a workout. the system does not account for your having commented on your own log.

you do not get notified when anyone comments on anyone else's log, including if that comment is in response to your comment, because these are not message threads, they are simply unrelated (as far as the system knows) notations on an individual workout. 

the comments do not function like blog comments nor do they function like message board threads. i believe i might have mentioned this, but they are unrelated (as far as the system knows) notations on a workout. 

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

it would be nice, though, if the list of comments were sorted in reverse date order so that the newest were on top.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it would be nice, though, if the list of comments were sorted in reverse date order so that the newest were on top.

+1

I think he's (Brian) asking if he makes comments on Billy Bob's log then Billy gets a notification.  Billy Bob replies back, but then Brian doesn't get notification of Billy's reply.   In order to know if there's a conversation, Brian has to remember to go back to Billy's comment to find out what's the follow up.

Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about.

R2E, I see what you mean from a coding standpoint that the workout comments are not treated as a message thread. Just seems like if you comment on someone's workout you could "subscribe" to that workout so if there were future comments you could get notified too.

I think it'd be a nice feature to enhance the community aspect of virtual training partners. Just a suggestion.

Nutmeg

I agree, this would be a great feature for communicating with others and one I would love to see.

It would also be nice to be able to see comments when you hover over an entry in calendar view.

"Most great performances come when you're not trying to do it. When you try to do something special, it usually backfires." -Jack Daniels