Neil Armstrong has also run out of rope (Read 921 times)

xor

The small leap for a man became the biggest leap.

Makes me way sadder than anything Lance.

Neil Armstrong dies at 82.

Not a good week for Armstrongs.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Imminent Catastrophe

The small leap for a man became the biggest leap.

Makes me way sadder than anything Lance.

Neil Armstrong dies at 82.

Yep. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Not a good week for Armstrongs.

Stretch has reportedly gone into hiding.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Neil Armstong was the first English name I ever learned. I could barely speak in 1969 (I was 5) and I didn't even know there was something called America.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
            then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
            I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

xor

The Dallas Morning News went with the lazy version of the "one small step for man" quote this morning.

For those who don't know, Neil always claimed he said "That's one small step for *A* man...", which makes a bit more literal sense.  However, when he heard himself in the recording, he admitted it didn't sound like he said the "a", but he thought, he really really thought,  he really did.

So, smart people analyzed the recording and found a blip that was probably "a", but Neil kind of swallowed it.

Now Neil can ask Gus if he screwed the pooch or not.

This thread is cruel and unusual punishment.

xor

I apologize for my joke-in-poor-taste subject line.  Believe me, Armstrong and all the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo astronauts were my biggest heroes from the age of 0-10.

The subject line was really more about my view of the importance of the Lance stuff, most of what I consider to be BS.  From all sides.  About a dude who rides a bicycle really really well. 

Neil Armstrong was a special kind of guy.  BESIDES the Apollo thing, he was a test pilot, including dealing with all kinds of goofy NASA creations.  And... he always always gave credit to the whole program and the many people that worked together to make it be.  That is a special kind of awesome.

Sorry about the subject line. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Dallas Morning News went with the lazy version of the "one small step for man" quote this morning.

For those who don't know, Neil always claimed he said "That's one small step for *A* man...", which makes a bit more literal sense.  However, when he heard himself in the recording, he admitted it didn't sound like he said the "a", but he thought, he really really thought,  he really did.

So, smart people analyzed the recording and found a blip that was probably "a", but Neil kind of swallowed it.

Now Neil can ask Gus if he screwed the pooch or not.

I heard it originally as "one small step for a man", and was annoyed when the media left out the "a".  Admittedly, it was not very clear.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Godspeed, Commander Armstrong

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My ears were all filled up with amniotic fluid. It sounded super muffled and underwater-ish, so I can't really say whether I heard the "a" or not.
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My ears were all filled up with amniotic fluid. It sounded super muffled and underwater-ish, so I can't really say whether I heard the "a" or not.

250,000 miles, but it's those last few inches...

Imminent Catastrophe

PBS is now airing a show about the moon missions, especially Apollo 8 and 11. As a little kid I was glued to the TV for most every Gemini and Apollo mission and it still gives me goosebumps. What a great time it was to grow up. 

Little-remembered now is Neil Armstrong's Gemini 8 mission which almost ended in disaster, saved only by Armstrong and Dave Scott's quick reactions. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

And now, for some reason, the following is playing endlessly in my head...

Family Affair. Starring Brian Keith, and Sebastian Cabot as Mr. French.