Race Day Gear help!! (Read 398 times)

OK, I'm a relative newbie with one 10K under my belt. I've trained hard for a half-marathon on January 13th and am shooting for my 1h:55m goal (my training partner's time in his first HM...yeah, I'm competitive). I need some help. The weather here in Mobile, AL will most likely be 35-45 on raceday morning, (not cold to many of you, but chilly to us Mobilians.) Has anybody had to start off with 2 shirts on (shortsleeved and longsleeved) and finish the race with one as it warms up? What can I do with it during the race? Tie it around my waist? Then where do I wear my number? Should I just start off cold with just 1 shirt to start? I HATE being cold to start running! Also, whats the lightest, easiest way to carry one-maybe 2 Goo Packets? Sorry if this sounds nitpicky, but I'm sure you experienced racers can identify......right??? Big grin Thanks, Nate in Alabama

undue monkey

]Has anybody had to start off with 2 shirts on (shortsleeved and longsleeved) and finish the race with one as it warms up? What can I do with it during the race? Tie it around my waist?
      You should be plenty warm early on. Get a cheap long sleeve T at Goodwill and just toss it. Better yet, suck it up Wink
      ]Then where do I wear my number? Should I just start off cold with just 1 shirt to start? I HATE being cold to start running!
      Since you're losing the top layer just pin to your singlet. If you're paranoid about tearing it off when you take off the top layer I geuss you're only option is the front of your shorts.
      ]Also, whats the lightest, easiest way to carry one-maybe 2 Goo Packets?
      Obviously not worth strapping on a belt. Pin them to your shorts, one on each hip and closer to the waistband.
      Mr R

If you're going to toss your top layer, make it a sweatshirt. You can find them really cheap at Target. They'll warm you up much faster and keep you warm while you're waiting for the start.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

If you are going to start running distance you should get a pair of shorts that have a place for the gels etc. Well at least that is what I did. Try here http://raceready.com/index.html