Marathon Setbacks! (Read 169 times)

Jenga007

Hi All,

I decided last August as a birthday resolution to run a marathon in 2015.. easy right? (Clowning around ... training started well but seems to have been a culmination of set backs since last December.

I suffered from heavy calfs, runners knee, a sprained MCL (still have no idea how I did that one) and now that i'm back up and running after being injured (and after entering the Cork marathon yesterday.. Murphys law!) seem to have contracted something not too unlike shin splints in my right leg (everything seems to be with my right leg).
    I don't think it is shin spints as it's pain shooting through my shins, calf, knee and up as far as my thigh.. So back to physio fingers crossed for a quick appointment!

I'm wondering has anyone any advice? Or have experienced this before? I started doing crossfit as well to start building up muscle strength but clearly it's not helping! Are there supplements or measures I should be taking that could help?

Linda

I'm not 100% sure that this is a "real" question but just in case...

Jenga:  It sounds like you might be someone who hasn't run a lot and decided to run a marathon.  That is certainly do-able, but it isn't something that I would attempt.  Just run for a year or two.  Run two consecutive years of 1200 miles or more, and then use any beginner marathon plan and you'll have better results.  I just pulled 1200 from the top of my head.  You can make it 1400 or 1000.  It doesn't matter.  Just be consistent for a couple of years and your body will respond better to training.

If you just want to get this off your list, you can walk/run and probably get it done.

If you want to add running to your lifestyle, what is the point of getting hurt, be patient.  Increase your mileage slowly and give your body time to adapt.

Also, you haven't given enough info for anyone to give you specific advice.  (age-running history-miles per week-training plan)

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

you started a new marathon training plan  &  you started crossfit as well??

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'm not 100% sure that this is a "real" question but just in case...

Jenga:  It sounds like you might be someone who hasn't run a lot and decided to run a marathon.  That is certainly do-able, but it isn't something that I would attempt.  Just run for a year or two.  Run two consecutive years of 1200 miles or more, and then use any beginner marathon plan and you'll have better results.  I just pulled 1200 from the top of my head.  You can make it 1400 or 1000.  It doesn't matter.  Just be consistent for a couple of years and your body will respond better to training.

If you just want to get this off your list, you can walk/run and probably get it done.

If you want to add running to your lifestyle, what is the point of getting hurt, be patient.  Increase your mileage slowly and give your body time to adapt.

Also, you haven't given enough info for anyone to give you specific advice.  (age-running history-miles per week-training plan)

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/