2014 Sub-18 5K (Read 544 times)

Tweeeked

I'll sign up as well. 26m, no recent 5k PRs, but my equivalent times give me a low-19. My first 5k will be March 9th I believe, so that'll give me a good judge of fitness for the year.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
    • 10k: sub-36
    • Half: sub-76
    • Full: 2:45 in Boston

So I have a race planned for tomorrow.  Training has been spotty over the last month or so but things have been going well the last couple weeks.  If the footing is good i'm hoping to run in the 18:3x range.

run-chris-run

Sure, I'm in. Haven't hit sub-18 yet, I'm @ 18:08 right now but would love to break 18 as a side effect of some heavy marathon training. 28/M. Best of luck, all!

Good luck Ken.

I'm doing the same - an indoor 5000m on Feb 1 - for an early season fitness check. No idea where I'm at but aiming for 6min pace.

OK.  I have a race coming up Jan 25th.  It's a 5,000 on the track with my club.  I'm certain I won't be running 18 but maybe 18:45 which would be a decent start given my training of the past 5 weeks.

kcam

Good luck Ken.

I'm doing the same - an indoor 5000m on Feb 1 - for an early season fitness check. No idea where I'm at but aiming for 6min pace.

Thanks.  Good luck to you as well.  Lately, I'm even questioning 18:45 as I am still fat and out of shape.  I did a 4mile run last night at 6:55 pace with 2 mile warmup and 7 mile 'cooldown' (I ran home from work) and it felt way harder than it should have, especially the 7 miles after the comfortably hard 4 miles.  A couple months ago I would have eaten something like that for breakfast!  19:00, much less 18:45, is probably gonna be tough for me this Saturday.

Good luck, roots, Ken and kmark.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Yea big DNS for me,  sick kid.  Saw some pics after the fact and the footing looked terrible so not really broken up about it. May have another oppourtunity in Mid Feb.

kcam

19:28 for me this morning.  Hard to believe how far I've got to go.  When I ran my best 5K and 10K races I was at 147lbs.  I ran this morning at 157.3!  I didn't wear a watch so I don't have any splits.  Basically I started VERY conservatively and brought the pace down the entire race.  A good workout at least.  I won't be in shape to challenge 18 till the summer, if then.

Just notified that my indoor 5000m cancelled due to low turnout (only 22 entered, they needed 80 for break even for the facility.)

No 5k planned yet but will jump in one at first opportunity. If I had to guess what I might run this week I'd say 18:30-18:45ish, or 6:00 pace on a good day.

In the meantime, I'm working towards an April marathon and just finished 2nd week (of five) of interval-pace workouts. Lucky today I got in the local fieldhouse prior to closing as most every school here is closed with the frigid temps.

xhristopher

I've just updated the list. Not a lot of 5K running in January. Ken has a baseline. I do too. January 1st I ran 18:36 so I know sub 18 is within reach this year but could take some work.

JustinCanCook

Alright, I think I'm ready to set this as an official goal. I'm 32, never been sub-18. I'm confident that I can run 18:30, and I'm pretty confident that with a little more work I can hit 18. I know I can run at least 2 5:48s in training now.

My second biggest concern is being able to get out of the gates and be on pace. I feel like if I start at 5:55-6 for the first mile I won't be able to make up that lost time.

What's the fitness test that tells you you're ready to hit this goal?

You guys can do it,  just have to want it. is all.

Tweeeked

Alright, I think I'm ready to set this as an official goal. I'm 32, never been sub-18. I'm confident that I can run 18:30, and I'm pretty confident that with a little more work I can hit 18. I know I can run at least 2 5:48s in training now.

My second biggest concern is being able to get out of the gates and be on pace. I feel like if I start at 5:55-6 for the first mile I won't be able to make up that lost time.

What's the fitness test that tells you you're ready to hit this goal?

Here's a letsrun thread on that very question! (I was also curious about a 5k indicator so I hunted it down)

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5492115

My most recent workout was 5x1000m w/600m recoveries @ 3:47, 3:46, 3:45, 3:43, 3:37. Still a ways to go, but I can feel I'm making progress.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                            • 10k: sub-36
                            • Half: sub-76
                            • Full: 2:45 in Boston
                            kcam

My opinion (at our level) is that really what you need, rather than any 'indicator', is to get out and race.  There are plenty of them around so don't be shy of going out to see what you can do.  These ain't marathons where you like or need to plan them out 4 months in advance and recovery is easy as a race effort doesn't take much out of you.  Race, train, repeat.

xhristopher

My opinion (at our level) is that really what you need, rather than any 'indicator', is to get out and race.  There are plenty of them around so don't be shy of going out to see what you can do.  These ain't marathons where you like or need to plan them out 4 months in advance and recovery is easy as a race effort doesn't take much out of you.  Race, train, repeat.

I agree. Practice helps. I also think it's not unusual to intuitively know within 15-30 seconds where your 5K fitness is just based on feel at this level.