Weight Training Plans for Runners? (Read 5186 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

I would like to know what that RockenMamof5 does to get that body. That is a training plan I'd be interested in Big grin
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    Scout7

Ahhhhh.....the age-old debate of weight lifting for runners. To the best of my knowledge, there has been no definitive scientific study and subsequent proof that shows that lifting weights either significantly improves or hinders running performance. That being said, I don't do it, and probably never will. Notice, however, that I said weight lifting. Strength training does not necessarily mean weights. Hills are strength training; plyometrics are strength training. I personally see no reason to try and make my non-running muscles an bigger than they already are. I'm already married.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is why I joined Jiggly Joggers...I am hoping the fear of not improving and all that will help motivate me. Cheers!
        You just don't want to wear the wet noodle avatar... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Very true! Not this week...though....two pounds gone....woot woot!
          If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no definitive scientific study and subsequent proof that shows that lifting weights either significantly improves or hinders running performance.
            Maybe not...but visible muscle tone looks hot. Or at least it fills loose post-kid skin in a more attractive fashion than does fat. I'm all about lookin' good for the slower slow-pokes behind me... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ahhhhh.....the age-old debate of weight lifting for runners. To the best of my knowledge, there has been no definitive scientific study and subsequent proof that shows that lifting weights either significantly improves or hinders running performance.
              I thought that one of the reasons that men tended to be faster than women was because of their muscle to fat ratio. Muscle contributes power- fat just goes along for the ride. So I'm curious, do you think it would be more beneficial for a woman to weight train in order to turn up her metabolism and help burn off more fat? Just wondering

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Scout7

Do I think it's beneficial for female runners to weight train? No, at least in terms of improving running ability. There may be other reasons to do it, such as the Zoomer suggested. I'm pretty sure there's more to the difference between male and female runners than a higher fat percentage. So, while it may be a contributing factor, I don't think it's a major one. It's all about specificity. To get better at lifting weights, you lift weights. To get better at cycling, you ride a bike. To get better at running, you have to run. You can strength train as an endurance runner. Running hill repeats are strength training. There's a number of drills you can do that could be considered strength training. But these are also running-specific strength exercises. Also, think about it this way. The bigger the muscle, the more energy it requires. There's a reason why those really fast Kenyans have almost no calf muscles, and little twig arms. They don't need them to run far at a fast pace. An interesting read on the subject: http://home.hia.no/~stephens/str&end.htm
                JakeKnight

It's all about specificity. To get better at lifting weights, you lift weights. To get better at cycling, you ride a bike. To get better at running, you have to run. You can strength train as an endurance runner.
                  And that is ultimately always going to be the answer to the debate. Whether - and how - you strength train or lift weights will depend on what your goals are. Yes - if you plan to compete with the Kenyans in the marathon, you'll need to lay off the bench pressing and embrace your inner stick figure. Personally, I'd much prefer to have actual arms and an actual chest, but I recognize that I'm sacrificing maximizing my marathon times. True story: a couple days ago, I was passed on the road by a real "elite" type. I'd guess he was "jogging" at about 5:30 pace, not even breathing hard. But he also had about a 26 inch waist, and even though he was at least 6 inches taller than me, he had to weigh 50 pounds less. And I realized looking at him that looking like that was very much not *my* goal. Good for him that he can probably run a sub-2:30 marathon. Meanwhile, he's asking his wife to open his ketchup bottles. If he tried to do a pull-up, his arms would break. No, thanks. My choice, my goals. For what it's worth, in terms of long-term health, it's probably smarter to balance endurance training and strength training. At the age of 80, I'm not sure either the stick figures or the real muscle heads are going to be in the best shape. Balance is key, Daniel-san. Go wax my car. Also for what it's worth, for most of us average joes, I don't think packing on some lean muscle mass is going to have that big of an impact on race times, at least at the middle distances. I plan on adding another 10-15 pounds in the next couple years, so we'll see how it impacts my times. I don't think it'll be much. If I was Jeff the Hippie, running that fast, it might. Me, not so much. Being a slowpoke rocks. One last comment: if you're asking for specific advice on using strength training to make your running faster, this is the place. If you want general weight lifting advice, you might want to go elsewhere. Asking runners about weight lifting is like asking muscle heads about running. If you want entertainment, go find a weight lifting board and ask a few running questions. You'll get the same answers in reverse. According to them, running more than a few miles will destroy your joints and make you a flabby girlyman. Like Scout says - it's all about specificity. Your goals, what you want.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Scout7

For the record, I do incorporate push-ups, sit-ups, and some other bodyweight type exercises. Some would argue that's not weight lifting, so I didn't really go into that.
                      So I'm curious, do you think it would be more beneficial for a woman to weight train in order to turn up her metabolism and help burn off more fat? Just wondering
                      The answer to that is YES! Muscle burns fat faster than anything. More muscle you have the faster the fat comes off. I guarentee you that my weight lifting does NOT interfere with my running. If anything my running interfere's with my weight lifting. With all the problems I've had with my body in the past (health wise), it's nice to see that I can change it for the better!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

True story: a couple days ago, I was passed on the road by a real "elite" type. I'd guess he was "jogging" at about 5:30 pace, not even breathing hard. But he also had about a 26 inch waist, and even though he was at least 6 inches taller than me, he had to weigh 50 pounds less. And I realized looking at him that looking like that was very much not *my* goal. Good for him that he can probably run a sub-2:30 marathon. Meanwhile, he's asking his wife to open his ketchup bottles. If he tried to do a pull-up, his arms would break. No, thanks.
                        The fact is, everyone should be allowed to make a decision on how seriously they take the sport or not. Getting to a position where you feel good about yourself is the most important thing. I guess I'm one of the 'stick figure' types that you so eloquently talk about. It's quite sad that you need to make negative statements about people just to feel better about yourself, I'm sure that as he passed you he wasn't having a little laugh at your expense. Anyways, got to go, I need to go fetch help as I fancy a pickled onion. Damn jars.
                        muse_runner

keep running.

Even if I tried I couldn't have twig calves. I have muscle there whether I exercise or not. Don't you think that the elite body type (twig calves) is just a genetic thing? I run just as much as my friend. I build muscle from running and she doesn't. Come on doctors, biology people, where is genetics in all of this! Smile
                          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                          JakeKnight

I guess I'm one of the 'stick figure' types that you so eloquently talk about. It's quite sad that you need to make negative statements about people just to feel better about yourself, I'm sure that as he passed you he wasn't having a little laugh at your expense. Anyways, got to go, I need to go fetch help as I fancy a pickled onion. Damn jars.
                            I had a feeling that comment would rufflle feathers. Unvarnished truth usually does. Sorry, chum. It was only a negative statement because you took it as such. There was no negativity intended. And if you think "stick figure" is inaccurate, you ain't paying attention. (And how come "muscleheads" was okay?) To repeat: its all about choices. You've made yours, I'll make mine. The muscleheads make theirs. Every choice has advantages and sacrifices. I'll never be as fast as you. Not that I have the genetics for it, but I could at least lay off the weights completely. On the plus side, I can help you with that jar. You should have just called me a slow fatass. It would have been more accurate. And funnier. I think the muscleheads have a better sense of humor.

Why is it sideways?

True story: a couple days ago, I was passed on the road by a real "elite" type. I'd guess he was "jogging" at about 5:30 pace, not even breathing hard. But he also had about a 26 inch waist, and even though he was at least 6 inches taller than me, he had to weigh 50 pounds less. And I realized looking at him that looking like that was very much not *my* goal. Good for him that he can probably run a sub-2:30 marathon. Meanwhile, he's asking his wife to open his ketchup bottles. If he tried to do a pull-up, his arms would break. No, thanks.
                              I bet that was Kevin Hill. He's a recent grad from med school doing his residency here at Vandy. For the record, JK, I used to do 100 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, and 100 dips a day. Weighed 135 and could bench 185 ten times. At the time, I could put down a sub 4:00 1500. If you'd like to have a pull-up contest, I'm game. Any time. To quote Trent: Just sayin'.
                              JakeKnight

The answer to that is YES! Muscle burns fat faster than anything. More muscle you have the faster the fat comes off. I guarentee you that my weight lifting does NOT interfere with my running. If anything my running interfere's with my weight lifting. With all the problems I've had with my body in the past (health wise), it's nice to see that I can change it for the better!
                                Pam, is there a thread around here somewhere where you outline exactly how you got those results? (I just noticed that Muse asked the same question ...) I'm particularly looking for a woman's experience. My fiancee has now dropped 45 pounds and gone from a size 12 to a size 2, but where she wants to go now is more towards body shaping, which you obviously know something about. She's been doing a lot of Pilates and Yoga, and runs about 20 mpw, and her diet is a hella lot better than mine. She's not looking for more mass, just toning and maybe a little definition (emphasis probably on abs, hips, and arms). So share your secrets somewhere. Maybe start a new thread, if it's too much high-jacking.