Different Map than Google Maps (Read 997 times)

Hi Eric, I notice that the maps we get on RA are different than the ones on Google Maps. Compare those two maps. Zoom in on the Mont-Royal Park, notice that the main trail is only drawn on Google Maps but is absent from the RA maps. Google Map RA Map I also noticed that the map originates from two different sources. One is Navteq, the other is Tele Atlas. I thought that was quite weird and is actually a bit of a problem for me since I often run on park trails (that one for instance) and it's often hard to figure out the trail from the satellite picture because it's all trees. The issue is probably not on RA's side, I was wondering if in the GMap API there would be a setting on which map data source to use. Cheers, - R
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is google's doing. Google has two different map sources, as you pointed out. It makes one available for its main google maps and the other available for its gmap API, which is the one RA uses (as do all other gmap websites). There is nothing RA can do, this is a google thing. That said, RA also has USGS maps, USGS satellite and will have other map sources in the future (such as the one from Microsoft).

Imminent Catastrophe

It should be "different from", not "different than". Trent, I'm surprised you didn't catch that. Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Gig

I've noticed that the two were slightly different for a long time, and I've been wondering if one of them is more correct than the other. "Different from," huh? Okay.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. Each is more accurate in some places and less accurate in others. I guess one must have fewer errors overall, but I do not know which.
              It should be "different from", not "different than". Trent, I'm surprised you didn't catch that. Wink
              Come on guys. English is not my first language! Let me see how good your French grammar is Big grin - R
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Il n'est pas terrible.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It should be "different from", not "different than"
                  A quick google turns up a page purporting to cover, very briefly, "different than", "different from", and "different to". http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/098.html It is extremely terse, but does give a nice illustration of the subtle difference in the examples of How different this is from Paris vs How different this is than Paris (The first conveys that the comparison is to the city, whereas the second conveys that the comparison is, probably, to something that happened when in the city.) See also: http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxdiffer.html which has a nice statistical breakdown. Based on that statistical breakdown, it seems to me that anyone claiming that "different than" is wrong, accomplishing as much as a person standing at the shore, spitting into the wind.... Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Il n'est pas terrible.
                    Pas terrible du tout Wink
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Merci bien. J'ai habite une annee a Paris 'l'y'a une fois. Big grin