Where to start (Read 523 times)

reelslow

I know I have seen this topic before, but I cannot remember the rule of thumb.  I am building my base and run about 4 miles/day and was up to 22 mpw before some short layoffs.  If I have a short lay off period 4-7 days, what mileage should I start at again.  I am all over the place in mpw over the past 5 years.  I was up to 35 miles a week, having run  a 1/2, 15K, 10k's and several 5k's in the past.  I had some health problems over the past two years and as stated earlier, began again.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

day after day sameness

Based on what you've written is it reasonable to assume that your goal is more about health and general fitness than becoming a racing machine?

If so, my suggestion is to focus on time and not miles. Make your plan to be about time on your feet -- running, walking, jogging, skipping, whatever.  Set out to go for X amount of time (recommend 30  - 60 minutes each day) and do whatever combo of run and/or walk that works for you that day.  Some days you'll run it all, some days you'll mix, maybe every now and then you'll walk it all.

No need for MPW worries, just focus on that hour per day, or 4 hours per week, or whatever you find fits you.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

I agree about the running for time thing... I'm a big fan of that.  As for your original question, just pick up where you left off.  You're not going to lose anything in a week. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Prince of Fatness

I was injured and took three months off last year.  The only thing that I concerned myself with when I started back up was to make running a habit again.  That meant running most if not every day.  I didn't worry about how far I went.  I just started out at 20 minutes at a time.  That was in September, and now I am up to around 6 or so hours a week.

So my advice to you is do not focus on numbers, make running a habit, and be patient.  Good luck.

Semi-retired.