Entering Distance for Splits Recorded on Garmin w/ GPS turned off (Read 110 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I run on an indoor track at times, and when I do so I turn off the GPS and manually press the lap button on my Garmin every time I complete a lap. Later, when I sync my data, I type ".125" into the distance field for each lap ... all 50-70+ of them. That's lots of typing.

Is there a way that I can change the distance field on a workout for every lap with one click or action - a global change?

Thanks.

(Most recent indoor workout is here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/workouts/019ba6eb0b324688bdd1a7fdefb3d3e7)

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

When I run with my Timex like this, I either 1) don't enter splits or 2) enter them more like...once every mile or five miles, hitting lap only those times.

I figure the odds of me needing or wanting to look back on really, really detailed splits are actually pretty low.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

HermosaBoy

I do not know of a way to do the global change (but would really like if there was).

After I put the first one in, I do a CTRL-C and then CTRL-V so I don't have to type every one of them.  That's my only saving tip...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

mikeymike

If the workout is 4 x 1200 then why are you hitting the lap button for every 200m lap?

I would just record the time for each rep and each recovery.

Runners run

kcam

OP, no way that I know of.  It would definitely be useful to 'fill' a set of distances (Interval/Recovery) rather than have to do them all individually.  I usually let my Garmin record my track workouts (though I hit the lap button manually) just so I don't have to fill each distance myself.  Obviously not an option on an indoor track.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

If the workout is 4 x 1200 then why are you hitting the lap button for every 200m lap?

I would just record the time for each rep and each recovery.

I've been known to lose track of how many laps I've done, particularly when running at 6am on a short track with no food in my gut and I'm getting slightly delirious. Plus, it helps me know, in real time, if I'm keeping on pace or not and how steady/consistently I'm running. If I look down after a lap and see that I've run 5 seconds faster than I ought, I know its time to adjust my pace.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

mikeymike

I think you should try it without the lap button. It's liberating.

On warmup and cooldown it doesn't matter much if you lose count, you know roughly how fast you're running so you can calculate distance.

On the intervals themselves you won't lose count. You can still look at your watch to see if you're on pace. You know what you want to run for laps, it's not hard to add it in your head ... I actually find it helps me stay calm.

Runners run

Agree with Mikey.  I run on an 200m indoor track as well and just record the entire rep instead of each 200.  The way you are doing it it makes it very hard to compare one rep to the next as you dont have a total for each rep.   Instead of seeing 4:30. 4:31, 4:28, 4:25, you have a bunch of meaningless 200m splits.

Say you want to run 6 min miles - each 200 should be about 45 secs, so take a peek every lap if you want to make sure you are on pace (:45, 1:30, 2:15, 3:00 etc...) Give it a try you may be surprised.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Agree with Mikey.  I run on an 200m indoor track as well and just record the entire rep instead of each 200.  The way you are doing it it makes it very hard to compare one rep to the next as you dont have a total for each rep.   Instead of seeing 4:30. 4:31, 4:28, 4:25, you have a bunch of meaningless 200m splits.

Why are they meaningless? Don't they tell him how fast he was going?

Don't a lot of people consider mile splits to be meaningful in races?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I know that some of you think clicking the "lap" button for each lap is silly. But it is a "lap" button, after all ... Different strokes for different folks, I guess. While I'm working it out it helps me to keep track of my pace if I can see the lap time displayed (I'm not good at math early in the morning while running), and having the lap count also helps me keep track of my total workout. It works for me. 

But, the debate on the merits of pressing the lap button for laps notwithstanding, we don't have a way of making a "global" change to the distance data for laps in Garmin data imported without GPS distances, do we?

mikeymike

Yeah sure it's just a lap button but it's creating an unnecessarily large data entry project for you.

And no, we don't.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

I agree it is a matter of opinion.

As I recall, before we had the GPS import function, you could manually go in and insert "laps" - which I did quite often.   Additionally, I believe that when you did it that way, it defaulted to whatever the original lap value was each time you added laps.  So, back then it was relatively easy if all your laps were of the same distance.

As for me, I use the lap button extensively because I like to see the splits.  Another reason for this is if you are doing varied distances during a workout.  As an example, 600 meter interval with 300 meter recovery.  In those cases, it is (at least for me) valuable to have the splits.  If I could globally say that the intervals were 600 and the recoveries were 300 meters -- that would be quite helpful...

Of course that's just my opinion -- I could be wrong!

Rob

mikeymike

I agree it is a matter of opinion.

You agree with whom that what is a matter of opinion?

The OP is trying to cut down on the amount of typing/data entry that he's doing when he imports a workout from his watch with 50-70 laps of zero distance each. It is a fact that once you've imported 50-70 laps with zero distance there is no way to globally change them all to some other distance.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

You agree with whom that what is a matter of opinion?

The OP is trying to cut down on the amount of typing/data entry that he's doing when he imports a workout from his watch with 50-70 laps of zero distance each. It is a fact that once you've imported 50-70 laps with zero distance there is no way to globally change them all to some other distance.

The opinion question is whether it is beneficial to have all the laps as data points (which necessitates manually entering all the data) or if it is liberating to not have all those laps.

I believe I responded to the OP as one of the first responses.

Rob

joescott

I know that some of you think clicking the "lap" button for each lap is silly. But it is a "lap" button, after all ... Different strokes for different folks, I guess. While I'm working it out it helps me to keep track of my pace if I can see the lap time displayed (I'm not good at math early in the morning while running), and having the lap count also helps me keep track of my total workout. It works for me. 

But, the debate on the merits of pressing the lap button for laps notwithstanding, we don't have a way of making a "global" change to the distance data for laps in Garmin data imported without GPS distances, do we?

What model watch are you using?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.