that commercial about the cloud (Read 858 times)

Cloud sounds sexier than off-site data center...    a good photographer can even make them look sexy.  Smile

Running all that cable/power/fiber:  not sexy.

JPF

I like to log my runs in "the cloud."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I like to log my runs in "the cloud."

On a foggy morning...

MrH

About half of the customers for the software my company develops are in the 'cloud'.

The cloud in this case is a series of bomb-proof windowless buildings operated by Equinix.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Equinix.

AAAhhhhgggg....  sorry.  PTSD response. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The cloud.

Yeah, so anybody know anything about this? I have DropBox. Wife has DropBox. Kiddo has DropBox. We each have our own free tiny accounts. We are thinking of getting a real, grown up paid plan, $100/year. Can we share that across all of us, but each of us have our own private folders?

ymmv

Photoshop has been doing this magic for a couple years now.

--- More harm than good in my personal opinion.. In the bigger sense I am talking about.   You can't trust that any photo these days is genuine, thanks to photoshop.

--- Besides, I had to sit there until all us siblings had the discipline to sit still for 3 seconds at the same time, and if I had to do it, then by gawd my kids are going to be forced to do it too!

And in closing:  A photoshop 'cloud' picture.   What a nice sunset picture.  No, wait, it is a hoax.  ---Or is it real?   Who knows?... And that is my point. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks guys, but how does that answer my question?

---Personally I have never heard of dropbox, not technologically savvy, so I can't comment on that.  Someone should come along soon with more knowledge on that subject...

Yeah, so anybody know anything about this? I have DropBox. Wife has DropBox. Kiddo has DropBox. We each have our own free tiny accounts. We are thinking of getting a real, grown up paid plan, $100/year. Can we share that across all of us, but each of us have our own private folders?

just checked out the help centre and it seems the paid DropBox storage allowance only applies to one user account (only DropBox for Teams gives a shared quota amongst user accounts).  so as you suspect, a large shared folder within the paid account could well gobble up the available allowance of the free accounts joining the share.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

On 'the cloud'....

I work in communications, and our business for years has talked about 'the telco cloud' - telecomunications provider. We have cable plant, our own telephone 'exchange', but not our own site to site links - that was contracted through the telco cloud. The funny part is, the airport commercial IS use of the cloud with that definition. The difference nowadays is that things stay in the cloud until you ask for them instead of just moving through it, and use of the term has become common, but only for server-based storage and thin-client computing.

it is a buncha big hot boxes in a warehouse on the ground somewhere.

I need the address for this warehouse

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

zonykel

Is that a technical term? :-)

wah-lah 

"Wah Lah"

Is that a technical term? :-)

- It is an interjection.     It is listed in the Lousiana dictionary, same meaning as "Voila' !"  Approve