cross training... does anything compare to running??? (Read 610 times)

O.K. I need help. BADLY. I've been told by a doc to not run (left a previous post last week), hurts like hell to run (on heel strike)... so I temporarily joined a gym-- L.A. Fitness (meat market, where girls wear cute outfits, wear makeup to work out, primp in the mirrors, **sigh**). I've tried the elliptical and the bike, the treadmill doing hills (walking, remember, hurts to run)... nothing even comes close to the workout I get when running. NOTHING! And, to top it off, It's just a really stressful time in my life (believe me, there's not enough room to explain) and I NEED a good hearty sweat, the endorphins, the heart rate, the... everything. Has anyone come across a workout, no impact, that even comes close? Swimming? Spinning? ANYTHING??? What am I going to do? Ripping my hair out, K.C.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Stairmaster maybe... or you might try rowing. Since you're a runner, rowing ought to tire you out pretty quick. Wink And a good spin class is great running x-training and you can set the resistance as hard as you want, while the environment of the class helps you keep the intensity up. If they have it, give kickboxing a try... picturing someone's face on that punching bag is great stress relief, IMO. Wink Evil grin But what about your yoga? I see from your profile you're a "yoga-er." Perhaps an extra yoga workout before bedtime might help too? Don't be a stranger... I think 95% of the people here have at one point or another torn their hair out for not being able to get a run in when they felt they really *needed* one...

Roads were made for journeys...

Prophet!

i thought swimming is pretty exhausting...the longest i've managed to swim continously was 45 minutes and i thought i was gonna drown. I do my swimming out in the ocean, with the currents and the waves, it adds to the workout. Oh and my wife used to do those core workouts with the ball thingie..i tried to do the short intro 20 minute workout and can barely do it.

Dog-Love

I really like spinning! Its great for me when I can't run. You need to make yourself work hard though and if you can go with a buddy and keep the cadence high...an hour goes by pretty quickly...But...there is nothing like running!
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Scout7

Spinning and swimming.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

A Nordic Track ski machine can give you a satisfying workout. A good rowing machine will do the trick too.
                RunningHammer

Have you tried road cycling (rather than on a gym bike)? Exhilirating if you can handle the earache on a windy day!
                  JakeKnight

Anything martial arts-related, either the harder varieties (karate/taekwondo/wushu) or softer (judo/jujitsu) will give you a workout beyond compare - and even runners in very good shape are usually shocked at how they feel after a 3:00 round. Boxing/Kickboxing are just as good, and you can find something that suits you, with as little - or as much - impact (and contact) as you like.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

I have always found the same thing- an elliptical or bike just doesn't have me near as sweaty as a good run. I love cardioboxing/kickboxing and find that if the instructor is good, I get a fantastic workout. Same with spinning. But this totally depends on the instructors. Personally, I find I have my best workouts when I'm doing something I love. In the summer, I hike, rock climb, and kayak. Winter I ski- consistently, both downhill and cross country. I have a theory as to why these work best for me- with the elliptical/stationary bike/etc, I don't find a reason to challenge myself. I never pay attention to how fast I go because that involves staring intently at the screen and that's boring. With running, even on a treadmill, I can easily pay attention to my pace and notice improvement along the lines of distance, pace, etc. I don't get that with any other stationary equipment. But I get a similar competitive feeling out of outdoor sports- I can always find harder trails to hike, and I am consistently working on form in skiing, taking harder trails at a faster pace. Since I know I'll be able to measure and see the improvement, I personally work a lot harder. Not sure if that makes any sense, but I do see where you are coming from.