Water belt suggestions? (Read 846 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm looking into getting a water belt for my long run. I thought it'll be easy to just pick one with a decent review online and be done with it, but I soon realized there are so many different kinds of brands and setups that I'm no longer sure what I'm trying to get. I'm hoping I may be able to get some good inputs here.

First off, what practical differences (pros/cons) are there between the kinds that holds 1 large bottle versus those that holds several smaller bottles? I'm going to need water/gatorade for my long run (>13 miles) so I think the ones that hold only a single small bottle will not be sufficient. I imagine that the 1-large bottle setup may bounce around? I like the idea of have 1 large bottle as it seems to be more convenient (for using and cleanup), but I'm worried about the bounce.

I'm not inclined to consider the hand-held bottles right now. I used to hold my cell phone (mp3 player) but I found out I just don't like holding things while running and I ended up getting a spibelt to hold it.

What about the camelbaks? Are those good for running?

I appreciate any suggestions on what works and what doesn't so I can narrow down my search.

Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

I bought a double water bottle Nathan setup and I wore it for 4 miles.  It slowed me down a good 30sec/mile and I hated every step.

Perhaps a single bottle would be better....IMHO any more weight and it's going to get uncomfortable.  The weight, not the bounce, the one I bought did not bounce bad.

Camelbaks are not all that bad.  I wore one a few times, didn't like the sloshing, but it was ok as long as I was not trying to run fast.  Better than the waist belt setup.

Personally I'd try to figure out some way to avoid having to carry water for the whole run.  I've gone to making drops or running partway with a handheld, then stashing it and looping back to it a time or two.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I used a Fuel Belt two-bottle last summer (not really anywhere to stash bottles on my one-big-loop route).  It never stayed low on my hips, so I just got used to wearing it around my natural waist.  Very little bouncing once tightened appropriately, even with both bottles full and keys in the little pouch-thing.

If you're not too far away, I've got a Fuel Belt 4-bottle, size large and in a blue/grey color scheme, that's pretty much never been worn/used.  Yours for a song, so to speak.  (Sorry if that's salesy; just trying to help.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Wing

Joggaholic

Not sure if my running speed would affect the bounce? I'm fairly slow, about 10 min/mile. I'll keep in mind to stay away from very large bottles, I haven't thought about the weight itself having an effect, thanks for the note.

My weekend long run involves going from my house to the end of a trail, and then running back to my house (it's almost like a straight line out and then back), so stashing water bottle may not be the best solution.

With regard to the camelbaks, it is easy to clean with all that hose and stuff? Does it get your back hot and sticky? (It reminds me of old school days carrying my backpack, not the best experience to draw a parallel of)

Thanks

I'm not a fan of the waist-pack camelbacks or bottle holders. I much prefer a hand-held bottle with a strap - like the ones by Ultimate Directions. To me, this is very different than having to maintain a grip on something.

I have started running with the Nathan HPL-20, and while I do like it for the capacity, and the storage pockets, I still like the hand held best. Having said that, I'm still planning on working the HPL-20 into more long runs this winter. I'd like to get used to it enough that I feel comfortably with it when I want or need to be hands free.

Also, try to use whatever system you choose a lot over a couple weeks before switching. It took me several weeks to get used to running with a handheld. Now, I barely notice I'm carrying it. I've recently started carrying two handhelds for long trail runs, and it's like starting over. I'm guessing after a couple more weeks, it'll feel normal.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wing

Joggaholic

I used a Fuel Belt two-bottle last summer (not really anywhere to stash bottles on my one-big-loop route).  It never stayed low on my hips, so I just got used to wearing it around my natural waist.  Very little bouncing once tightened appropriately, even with both bottles full and keys in the little pouch-thing.

If you're not too far away, I've got a Fuel Belt 4-bottle, size large and in a blue/grey color scheme, that's pretty much never been worn/used.  Yours for a song, so to speak.  (Sorry if that's salesy; just trying to help.)

Thanks for the offer Clive! I think I should decide what I want/need first though before I steal from you Smile

Wing

Joggaholic

To me, this is very different than having to maintain a grip on something.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant, can you elaborate a little? The reason I hated holding on to my cell phone was probably the grip, I kept having to switch hands because I felt like my fingers were getting locked and rigid after even a short while. Maybe my hands were just getting tense subconsciously for not wanting to drop the phone...

Oh roo roooo!

Wing, I think what Bonkin means is that many handheld bottles have a fabric or neoprene "suit" that surrounds them, and this has a handle built in.  Does the picture below help illustrate what I mean?  Anyway, you don't really have to keep a "grip" on this in the sense of "I'll drop it if I relax my hand"; it'll pretty much stay put w/minimum effort.

That said, I hate to have anything in my hands either and use an Amphipod water belt as being the lesser of all evils as far as my personal taste goes....

Wing

Joggaholic

Anyway, you don't really have to keep a "grip" on this in the sense of "I'll drop it if I relax my hand"; it'll pretty much stay put w/minimum effort.

Ah ha, I see. Thanks!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd guess that with both belts and backpacks, the chafing potential probably varies from person to person, so for that reason (amongst others) you may get different recommendations depending who is talking.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Queen of 3rd Place

Have tried at least three types of belt systems, two different camelbaks, an REI backpack with bladder, and a nathan vest. The nathan vest wins because the weight is distributed both to the front and back. The end result is that it feels very light - no chafing, no sensation of bouncing. I absolutely love it.

This is the model I have, to me it's more for long trail runs where you might want to bring a couple of sandwiches, a jacket, a water filter (you get the idea), but it's so comfy I wear it during hot-weather long runs in town when I want to bring a lot of fluid:

http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/race-vests/hpl-020

Ex runner

I too have tried many different types - My long runs are slow and I'm carrying plenty of my own extra pounds, so the weight of the belt makes little difference to my pace.

I have one of these and love it.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottle-waistpacks/profile-lite-series/profile-lite-32

Amphipod Profile-Lite 32

It sits tight around my waist (as most things around my waist do), no bounce and holds 32oz of water or beverage of your choice.

PS. If you are looking at Amphipod, do not get one of these.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottle-waistpacks/full-tilt-series/full-tilt

Full Tilt

These are great at first but after a while are the hydration manifestaion of crapiness:

The bottle leaks and, after about 2 months use, falls out all the time. Angry

"Bottle pack of the year" my @$$!

2017 Goals
                          1) Run more than 231 miles
                          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring