Hydration for a non-athlete? (Read 1143 times)

My wife's cousin is not an athlete but he is on the 'I drink gatorade because I sweat at work'. (Yeah, I know, it's got electrolytes!) I was telling him about the evils of non-athletes and sports drinks when he mentioned he is pre-diabetic. I was silently freaking out about his habits while he was discussing it. He sells heavy equipment and often works outside in the south while doing demos. He sweats a lot, thus the perceived need for gatorade. I bought him some nuun tablets and will advise him to drink water all day and do the nuun tabs after work or toward the end of the day. Also, maybe grab a bananna from the 7/11. Anything else I could give him? Thanks! TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Endurolytes, S!caps, sugar-free sports drink...any of those would be better than plugging himself full of HFCS, which he's not burning off.  Nuun is nice, too, since it's kinda fizzy, if a person likes soda.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Water?

Runners run

Water?

Mike--Yeah, I know but I wanted to try something flavored. Maybe Mio? Thanks, Kirsten! I'll run some of those past him. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

There's zero cal gatorade now.  I also prefer Nuun, though.  And while I'd say it's expensive, I guess if he's buying a Gatorade they're about the same price unless he's using the powder.

Water and a good meal are probably the best bets, but well, people with problem usually have problems with sane approaches.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There's some preliminary research that raises a question about artificial sweeteners.  The sweetness may be triggering an insulin response in the pancreas, even though there's no sugar to respond to.  Might not be good for a pre-diabetic.

Why is it sideways?

He might be surprised at how good water tastes when he's thirsty, especially if he hasn't had it in a while. Just stick it in a bottle with some cool branding on it.

loseweightblues0

According to researches, Gatorade produces a beverage primarily marketed toward active, athletic individuals as a means of quick rehydration during a workout or competition. It works quite well for that purpose, particularly in replenishing your body's stores of sodium and potassium, two electrolytes that can deplete when you sweat. However, over-consumption of Gatorade -- particularly by people who tend to be sedentary -- can potentially lead to excessive levels of these electrolytes, especially when drinking it in conjunction with other nutritional supplements.

There's some preliminary research that raises a question about artificial sweeteners.  The sweetness may be triggering an insulin response in the pancreas, even though there's no sugar to respond to.  Might not be good for a pre-diabetic.

I dumped Diet Coke for this reason. He knows he has to get rid of the sugar. He has a problem with low potassium and leg cramps (might be fixed with exercise...), hence the gatorade in the first place. I told him to drink water all day, end the day with nuun and grab a bananna or two from the 7/11. I fully believe the processed food/sugar industry are at the root of our obesity problem--and those companies know what they're doing. Thanks again, everyone! TC

"One cup of orange juice, a banana or a potato is sufficient to replace the potassium lost during one to two hours of hard exercise.  Athletes also may need more potassium to replace that lost from muscle during exercise and the smaller amount lost in sweat. " one banana has about .5 grams, while gatorade manages 30 grams in 8oz.

Bottom line is he shouldn't be drinking any full calorie sugar sweetened beverages beverages - and probably doesn't need anywhere near the potassium he gets from the gatorade, because sweat alone isn't the primary reason we need to replenish.

Source: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

northernman

Fight The Future

what's the data dissing diet drinks? I've been drinking a ton of diet root beer lately because of the heat. Am I making myself fat?

"One cup of orange juice, a banana or a potato is sufficient to replace the potassium lost during one to two hours of hard exercise.  Athletes also may need more potassium to replace that lost from muscle during exercise and the smaller amount lost in sweat. " one banana has about .5 grams, while gatorade manages 30 grams in 8oz.

Bottom line is he shouldn't be drinking any full calorie sugar sweetened beverages beverages - and probably doesn't need anywhere near the potassium he gets from the gatorade, because sweat alone isn't the primary reason we need to replenish.

Source: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

Gatorade has 30 milligrams--not 30 grams--in 8 ounces.

MTA: link.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

sapriati54

Hi TC!

I have had the exact same problem and like your wife's cousin I started on Gatorade. However once finding out about my diabetes i had to change products. Water was too dull to be sipping on, and after consulting professional advice i was pushed towards oral rehydration powders. I'm currently using Drip Drop Sport because the sugars in this are very small, but also they are 'safe sugars'. They have low glycaemic indexes which I am sure you are aware of being diabetic.

Not only are the sugars safe for me, the product also contains large amounts of sodium which is perfect for replacing the salts that I lose in sweat. Also it tastes of cloudy lemonade - something i've loved since i was a kid! Strongly recommend giving it ago!

CS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Water was too dull

Since when is your beverage supposed to entertain you?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Since when is your beverage supposed to entertain you?

Smiled at that.

steph