Tennis shoes appropriate? (Read 176 times)

mikeymike

I think the shoe-industrial complex (isn’t that what SJ calls it?) is invading your brains. I'll bet any shoe that’s okay for a 3 hour match on a concrete court is fine for the “rigors” of 5 mile jog in the neighborhood a few times a week. I know my shoes don’t protect and support me from much. They’re pretty flimsy neutral shoes.  Don’t see the harm in trying them out. If you’re feet hurt after a few goes, try something else. The Prince models I see online look a lot like “real” running shoes to me anyway.

Ding.

Runners run

mikeymike

How bad could it be?

Is that woman army crawling to avoid running in heels?? Good for her.

Runners run

Latent Runner

I've run a lot of miles and I've played many matches of tennis; some folks may not acknowledge there is a significant difference between purpose built running shoes and purpose built tennis shoes, but one would be ill-advised to use the incorrect shoes for the current activity.

From the sublime to the ridiculous department.  If you think running in tennis shoes is okay, you may as well buy a nice pair of bowling shoes and use them for every sport.  Joking

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        mikeymike

one would be ill-advised to use the incorrect shoes for the current activity.

This is solid gold.

Runners run

Thanks for all the good advice.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Really, what answer would be expected to the OP's question anyway? If you ask a bunch of runners what they think of running in tennis shoes that don't fit your feet, is it any surprise that most would suggest that's a bad idea? If you ask a bunch of tennis players on a tennis forum if you can play tennis in running shoes that are too big for you, can you guess the responses?

It's likely true that if you are just running a few miles a week, you can wear nearly anything. In the 1960s, my best friend's dad ran 2 miles around the park on grass in leather penny loafers every day. Didn't hurt him any. So wear what you want - it won't hurt you until it does.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Half Fanatic #846

You could go barefoot, too.

I'm gonna try this one.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I've run a lot of miles and I've played many matches of tennis; some folks may not acknowledge there is a significant difference between purpose built running shoes and purpose built tennis shoes, but one would be ill-advised to use the incorrect shoes for the current activity.

From the sublime to the ridiculous department.  If you think running in tennis shoes is okay, you may as well buy a nice pair of bowling shoes and use them for every sport.  Joking

Shipo -- I could have sworn that I saw you at the top of the Savannah River Bridge this morning.

Hat and all.  You must have a twin.

steph  

Latent Runner

Shipo -- I could have sworn that I saw you at the top of the Savannah River Bridge this morning.

Hat and all.  You must have a twin.

How did you recognize me; was I wearing bowling shoes?  Smile

As for a hat; I lived in Georgia back in the late 1970s and I cannot imagine weather cold enough to require the wearing of a hat for running.  Smile

The above said, no, sadly I didn't have a chance to do the Savannah River Bridge Run, I live in New Hampshire now and haven't even set foot in Georgia since the mid 1980s.  Sad

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                    mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My brother-in-law started training for his first marathon in a pair of K-Swiss shoes that, not knowing anything about that brand,  I'd bet were "tennis shoes" (they're much more of a "tennis family" than a "running family").  During his buildup, when he needed a new pair, he bought...another pair of the same shoe.  Said he liked them, and didn't see any reason to switch.

...and of course, he finished the marathon just fine wearing them, nothing wrong with his feet afterward.

He'd be the first to tell you, though, he did not run enough during that cycle, and I would bet that, even though his feet were "fine" running in those shoes, who knows how much better they would be in shoes built for that activity?

Same would go for any kind of equipment purpose-built for its intended use.  I can scrape frost off my windshield with a credit card...but an ice scraper sure makes the process easier.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I agree that the shoe industry is way overrated, so I don't make a big deal out of shoes, but I decided that most of you know more than I do. I'm pretty new to this. In fact, I just got my first 20mpw!! I'm very proud. Anyway, I decided to wear my old tennis shoes as street shoes and stick to running shoes for running.