Chip timing mistakes (Read 477 times)

I was wondering if anyone had experienced goof-ups with chip timing. I ran the Toledo, OH Race for the Cure today, and when I checked my age group results, I was listed first, but there was no way with the large field! My posted time was accurate though. Then another runner in my age group looked at the times, and couldn't find his name. He was upset because he knew he ran a couple minutes faster than the posted winner (me!), and because he couldn't get his official time. I told him I was the "winner", then offered to go with him to the race officials to straighten things out, but he didn't want to bother, being most interested in his official time. Anyhow, he was cool and we had a few laughs about it. But I felt pretty bad.
      I've never had any problems. Did his chip not register at the start mat, so the race organizers went with gun time? In my race this morning there were RFID tags on the actual race bibs. Instead of a timing mat there was a wire hanging over the start/finish lines. Pretty neat... not that this would have helped with your race mix-up.
      vicentefrijole

That's a bummer... the last thing you want is to take someone else's place! I've never witnessed a problem with chips, but I've read on some sites that there were lots of problems when they first came out. I'm sure it's inevitable that they malfunction from time to time. Still, good to have them generally. Smile
          Did his chip not register at the start mat, so the race organizers went with gun time? I don't know if his chip didn't register, but the race organizers didn't check gun times.