Was this Jeopardy answer wrong? (Read 273 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just read this article, wondering what you guys think.

Short synopsis...it's "Kids' Week" on Jeopardy, and a contestant misspelled the Final Jeopardy answer, "Emanciptation Proclamation."  Judges ruled against him.  It put him in second place with a prize of $2000, which is exactly what he would have placed/won if he'd spelled it correctly.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, I saw that reported yesterday.  Seems to me it's a knowledge contest, not a spelling bee.  I don't know what their official rules say, but they have accepted trivial errors in oral and, I think, written answers in the past.

MTA:  Just read the article you cited: "Jeopardy is not a spelling bee game"

that depends on what the official rules say. If they say written answers must be spelled correctly then yes he was wrong (sort of like the pickiness of Wheel of Fortune answers).  Otherwise, the officials at Jeopardy need to lighten up...

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

That is a tough way to loose. Those judges should be ashamed of there show for being so fussy.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

What other words are they going to confuse "Emanciptation Proclamation" with anyway? Unless it is a spelling bee, I do feel sympathetic to the contestant.

Jeopardy does not penalize for misspellings, unless it changes the pronunciation of the word.  Imansipasion is ok, but emanciptation is not because its pronunciation is completely different from the intended word. In this case, the intent is obvious, but other misspelled words might not be so.  As long as they enforce the rules, the game remains fair to everyone.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Badly misspelled...?

Suck it, Trebek!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Not dead. Yet.

They did the same thing again last night to a woman.  She wrote "Waitin for Godot?"  (missing the 'g') and it wasn't accepted.  So at least they are being consistent.  I wonder if that rule changed suddenly to cover their asses though.  I seem to remember misspellings in the past that were accepted.

I agree that Jeopardy is not about spelling.  Both players should have received credit for their misspelled answers.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

That is a tough way to loose. Those judges should be ashamed of there show for being so fussy.

Technically, he only lost money.  He wouldn't have won between the 3 contestants.  The 1st place guy had some $66k of winnings (one smart dude) while he had some $6k or so before the right answer spelled incorrectly

MTA... now finally noticing the loose and there

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They did the same thing again last night to a woman.  She wrote "Waitin for Godot?"  (missing the 'g') and it wasn't accepted.  So at least they are being consistent.  I wonder if that rule changed suddenly to cover their asses though.  I seem to remember misspellings in the past that were accepted.

I agree that Jeopardy is not about spelling.  Both players should have received credit for their misspelled answers.

Yeah...the show's judgement strikes me as cruelly pedantic.  It's clear the contestants knew the correct answer.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah...the show's judgement strikes me as cruelly pedantic.  It's clear the contestants knew the correct answer.

We are talking about Jeopardy, aren't we? Not Family Feud, or The Price is Right...

How many wheel of fortune contestants got "screwed" out of winning for forgetting to pronounce something exactly accurate?  Many...

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Everyone gets a medal because we're all special snowflakes.

Life isn't "fair" kid, get a helmet.

You people have issues 

The King of Beasts

rough, just the way your mother likes it Trebek.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Trebek, what's the difference between you and a mallard with a cold? One's a sick duck and I can't remember how it ends, but your mother's a whore!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, the game is afoot. I'll take anal bum cover for 7,000. 

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.