5K PR. Finally I have done it!!! (Read 981 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just got to share this with you guys, as I feel on top of the world, no exaggeration. For a while I have been thinking about if I could go sub 20 for the 5k, and tonight, I (foolishly, after a very hard track session last night), set out and had a go at it. So it was not an official race, it was a time trial on my own with my garmin.In actual fact I stepped out of the door with the intention of just going by feel, and to my suprise without even pushing it I did the first mile in 6:30. It was then I thought, well to run a 5k sub 20 I need to run at 6:27 pace, so it was only at this time that I decided to try for the 5k PR. Mile 2 was covered in 5:50. It was fast, too fast I thought, as I though that I was not going to be able to sustain the pace for the rest of the route. Mile 3 felt a lot slower, as I was tiring, breathig was laboured, yet more controlled. I was focusing on breathing from my diaphragm, and it helped. I covered mile 3 in 6mins flat. The last part of the 5k was uphill, and I gave it my all, and covered it in 37 seconds, very quick. I clocked my Garmin and screamed to myself, as it read 18:57!!!!!! That is 63 seconds under my 2008 goal! I have finally got it, and it want even a race, and I did it on the back of a really hard track session. I am not saying that if I was fresher I may have done better, or even in a race, but I would think it would be a bit quicker. Also it averages out at 6:06 mile pace, compare this to a race I did 17 Jan 2007, where I averaged 7:31 mile pace. Ayhow, who cares, I have done it, and I am over the moon. Whats next??? Sub 18? God, I dont think I will be able to do that! Please leave f/b. Thanks guys.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Congratulations, Eddy!

Amy

obiebyke

DANG! Shocked I think we need to call you Speedy G from now on.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Lazy idiot

that's awesome, Eddy. Now go register for a race and go for the jugular. Big grin

Tick tock

Nice work Eddy. Congratulations.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Pammie

Thats great Eddy. But remember you can have anything you want,
              evtish

Awesome!!! I'm inspired by your improvement since my 5k pace is at 7:39 and I want to run fast. Congratulations. I think you can hit 18:30 in a race now.

Now that was a bath...

Hey Eddy - that is awesome!!!! I expect we will be seeing great things from you this year. I'm benched again and it burns like hell so I am still living vicariously through the achievements of others. Run for England dude. Run like the wind.
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    Good lord!! Way to go!!! Shocked
                    ---- Cynthia

Slow-smooth-fast

Thanks for the f/b guys, really great to hear it. Hopefully I will be able to go sub 18 this year now. This is officially my new goal. I still am losing weight too, so hopefully that will aid me. Keep the comments coming, this is a milestone for me, which has been a long time coming.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Congrats, I can relate. After months of steady work it's pretty surprising how deep you can dig when it's finally race time again, eh?
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          Congrats. Can't wait to see your next race!

Michelle

Why is it sideways?

Eddy, I think you are still only scratching the surface of your running potential. Best of luck to you and keep it up! It must feel good to know that all your discipline paid off.

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy, I think you are still only scratching the surface of your running potential. Best of luck to you and keep it up! It must feel good to know that all your discipline paid off.
                              It feels great allright. How do you mean, scratching the surface? Do you have recommendations?
                              Congrats, I can relate. After months of steady work it's pretty surprising how deep you can dig when it's finally race time again, eh?
                              Yeah, it was you that got me into the Low HR training, it has paid off like you said it would. Going to keep chiselling away.

Why is it sideways?

It feels great allright. How do you mean, scratching the surface? Do you have recommendations?
                                Yeah. Keep doing what you're doing. If I remember right, you've only been at this for a year or so. If you stay consistent and keep working, you'll keep improving for years to come. As you've learned, making progress in running is a long-term endeavor with peaks and valleys. If you keep at it, you'll look back at this 5k just like you look back now at those runs a year ago...it's only in that sense that you are scratching the surface.