Calf cramping on long run; lingering pain for days after (Read 114 times)

onefatchick

and I am now one week away from my 2nd half marathon race.  Training had been going extremely for several weeks prior to this long run but started getting some minor aches and pains, but nothing that a good nights sleep didn't help.

So this cramping started during my last scheduled long (easy) run last weekend,--two weeks away from race day.  I was on mile 8 when I started getting twinges in my left calf.  I stopped, stretched and massaged till it felt better.  Resumed my run, but 2 miles later the calf started cramping.  I stopped again, massaged and stretched and resumed the run; a half mile later the cramping becomes severe.  I stopped running and tried to massage it.  That didn't help.  Thinking I may have torn something I decided not to try stretching it.  I hobbled the 2 miles back to my car.  When I got home I took a hot bath in Epsom salts; wore compression socks the rest of the day.  The next morning it was still very sore so put in a call to see the doctor.  Dx was bad cramp; he did ART and said to give it a few days of rest till the weekend but to stretch it. 3 days later it felt pain free but I followed Dr. advice and gave it the additional day.  So yesterday I went for a short easy run.  Calf felt great first 3 miles then started to get angry.  I ended the run; stretched, and then foam rolled it later in the day.  Rubbed in Ben Gay  and took Ibuprofen.  24 hours later it is still sore, just not as bad as the week before.  Been foam rolling it and stretching.  I have a follow-up session already scheduled with the Dr. for more ART, but not till Tuesday. Have a regularly scheduled therapeutic massage on Wednesday.  I am guessing I will be pain free in a couple of days.  My concern now is in running the half marathon race a week from today.  I am so worried about it cramping during the race and not being able to finish.  I had been hoping for a really good race considering how well my training had been going, but now I am losing confidence to even start the race.  Any suggestions to get me through this and help me run pain free next weekend?  I appreciate any and all advice!!!!

Well this sounds supremely annoying. I feel for you and therefore wish to say something useful but I've never experienced calf issues like that. But here are some thoughts:

why did this start now? New shoes, or worn out shoes? Have you been wearing heels lately? I know that heels piss my calves off something fierce.

what can you do about the race? Tough one. Do you wear compression socks while running? Maybe that wd help the cramping issue. The smartest thing to do would probably be to pass on the race and run one after you've figured out the calf thing, but I know that is easier said than done.

People swear by all kinds of supplements for cramps: magnesium, potassium, salt tabs. I don't know if any of it is supported by actual evidence though!

SMART Approach

Sounds more like a slight pull vs cramp.I have had those in past. Each time I tried to come back in 3 days it would come back. When I gave it a full week, it healed and was fine. This would be my suggestion. Also, don't overdue all the rollers, massage, ART etc. this is a minor injury. Needs a bit more time. Before your next run or race, soak your calf in hot bath or hot towels to warm up area. Walk 5 min before your run. If a race, do a mile warm up jog 20-30 min before. Easy stretching ok but only after area is heat d up. Ice after activity.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

onefatchick

Thanks for your reply runharrietrun!

My old pair of Nike Pegasus had served me well for ~900 miles and I retired them in mid-June.  I got two new pairs of shoes then--another pair of Nike Pegasus and decided to give the Hoka Bondi's a try for intermittent soreness in my knees. Had been alternating the two pairs up till mid September (close to 200 miles on each pair now). Neither pair ever felt quite right on any of my runs and I think both are a half size too large. (Went from size 10 in the Pegasus to 10 and 1/2 at different running store suggestion).  The Hoka's seemed to aggravate both my achilles.  Mid September I decided to purchase another pair of Pegasus in my old size and also purchased Mizuno Enigma.  Both pairs have felt really good on my runs but have been mostly running in the Mizuno-- now at  55 miles.

Have not run in compression socks as of yet-had them around mostly for recovery purposes for the Achilles issues I was having.  If I do run the half next week I will most likely run in them even though I have never run in them before.

I do take potassium, magnesium and Vit d supplements; drink plenty of fluids (up to 2 liters/day in really hot weather and sometimes add in a Nunne  tablet).  For everyday shoes I wear Ariat work boots which are pretty worn out.

Tempted to try a heel lift in my left shoe.

onefatchick

Thanks TChuck!

Race is one week away and feel like I should at least run one or two easy runs this week, but also don't want to set myself back if what I really need is a full week of no running. At this point I don't think I gain anything by testing it out.

SMART Approach

Yeah, you need to decide how important the race is. I would probably try a 3 mile jog the day before if I was doing the race. Keep in mind, jogging 13 miles is much different than racing 13 miles, but if your healed your healed. We just don't know exactly how long you need.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

onefatchick

Last Saturday did an easy 3 miles, no cramping in the calf, no soreness in the calf.  However did feel soreness creeping in in my quad and knee.  Chiropractor addressed this by doing additional ART on my anterior hip, which was tight, tight tight; 4 semi-easy miles on Wednesday (2 very easy and 2 miles at half marathon pace + 15 seconds), no cramping or soreness.  ART on Thursday addressed hip, quad, calf and ankle. Feel like I can finish a 13.1 mile race.   Plan on another very easy 3 miles today; race is on Sunday.   At this point I think I can make 4-6 miles with no issues, what's in store after the 6 mile mark is a question.  I'll be questioning my loss of fitness, will my calf start to cramp? will my quad start feeling achy? what about my knee?  Wish I could put these negative thoughts out of head and just run the damn race.

Ynnam

How are you & were you able to run your half? I am interested in knowing as I have been experiencing similar symptoms. Thanks.

onefatchick

How are you & were you able to run your half? I am interested in knowing as I have been experiencing similar symptoms. Thanks.

Yes, I was able to run the race!  No cramping in my calf.  At mile 9-10 I started to get really tired and achy in my hips and left quad, but no pain in the knee or calf.  My time for the race was 30 seconds slower than my first half that I had done earlier in the year so was satisfied with that.  I was pretty happy to come out of the race with no injuries. I am still seeing the chiropractor on a twice weekly basis-he's working on chronic pain issues I've had with my upper back and shoulder and still addresses the hip/knee/quad as needed.  He did give me exercises to do for the quad/knee (which I fail to do when it isn't hurting) but should be done daily.

Since the race my weekly mileage has not resumed to a level that I had hoped to be at by now.  Did one 5k race a couple of weeks ago that told me I'm really losing fitness (won my age group but was not a good race for me); caught a nasty cold after that race,  and just now starting to feel like I'm ready to start rebuilding my fitness and will see how the body holds up when I get to 30-35 miles/week.

Ynnam

Thanks for the update. It is good to know that things are getting better with you. Good luck on the build-up.