Insoles (Read 1593 times)

How did you ditch your orthotics?

I wish I could tell you that it took something other than a lot of trial and error. I understand that some people have significant structural issues that require orthotics but I came to realize that my Superfeet Greens were over-correcting. I went back to a running store and tried the Mizunos and they just fit better. As Nobby has pointed out, the shape of the shoe is often much more important that the stability level. The Mizunos just felt natural. So, yeah, I ditched them and tried to ramp the miles slowly and allow my feet, ankles and lower legs to adapt and get stronger. At least that worked for me. And I'm hoping with a little more weight loss and more miles, I'll be able to run more in lightweight neutral trainers.

I also had plantar fasciitis and received a custom set of $400 orthotics from a podiatrists.  I wore mine for several years and finally got over my plantar fascitis.  I stopped using them because of how wide they were (none of my shoes fit them nicely) and the cost of having to replace them.  Even just retexturing old orthotics with new material would be $100.

I switched to FootBalance insoles from Road Runner sports about 6 months ago and they have been great.   If you have a RoadRunner sports near you, they basically pull out a flat insole, heat it up, then have you step over it while they mold it to your foot.  I think it takes about 10 minutes.  They are flexible and feel like regular insoles but have an exact fit to your foot.  Mine were about $70 which I feel is overpriced but they feel much better than cheap insoles and also better IMO than traditional orthotics.  Anyone else using these?

xor

I haven't tried those, but I have seen the Dr Scholls machines that make customized orthotics from forms while you wait.

At Wal Mart.

What will they think of next?

Half Fanatic #846

I haven't tried those, but I have seen the Dr Scholls machines that make customized orthotics from forms while you wait.

At Wal Mart.

I happened to spot one in WM last week and "tried it on".  I was disappointed when the machine misdiagnosed my foot type.  It did, however, recommend a particular insole for me. Just another sales gimmick IMO.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

dmfitz2

I also had plantar fasciitis and received a custom set of $400 orthotics from a podiatrists.  I wore mine for several years and finally got over my plantar fascitis.  I stopped using them because of how wide they were (none of my shoes fit them nicely) and the cost of having to replace them.  Even just retexturing old orthotics with new material would be $100.

I switched to FootBalance insoles from Road Runner sports about 6 months ago and they have been great.   If you have a RoadRunner sports near you, they basically pull out a flat insole, heat it up, then have you step over it while they mold it to your foot.  I think it takes about 10 minutes.  They are flexible and feel like regular insoles but have an exact fit to your foot.  Mine were about $70 which I feel is overpriced but they feel much better than cheap insoles and also better IMO than traditional orthotics.  Anyone else using these?

After suffering from achilles tendonitis for the last two weeks, I decided that I needed to go grab a new pair of shoes.  Went to RoadRunner and picked up the Brooks Ravenna II and some FootBalance insoles.  So far, I love the Footbalance.  I've used SuperFeet for the last 3 years and thought they were a good/cheap alternative to custom orthodics.  Once I got molded for the FootBalance I could instantly tell the difference. 

I would recommend to anyone who lives near a RoadRunner to go in and get custom molds **FREE**...if you don't like the feel of them, they can heat them down and make them flat again, if you like them...$70 and they're yours.  Apparently, they have upgraded their molding system for this year and the insoles are now a bit more "comfortable" with some padding.  They are supposed to last  aprox. 1,500 miles, so you can get 3 pairs of shoes out of them, roughly.

Fitz

00:20:20 5k (2008)

1:47:00 Half Marathon (2009)

4:00:45 Marathon (2011)

2013 Goals

Steelhead 1/2 Ironman 8/4/13 (6:32:24)

Sub 4:00 Chicago Marathon 10/13/13