Careful when you text? (Read 1223 times)

A Saucy Wench

It is illegal to use a mobile phone / cell phone whilst driving in the UK.  Not sure if it has improved accident rates or not.

Here (locally varies from state to state and county to county) it is technically illegal to text or use a cellphone without a hands free device.  I think it is pretty accepted that handsfree vs. talking makes very very little difference if any.  Also it is pretty much unenforced in my area unless you are pulled over for something else.  When the law went into affect I saw people make an effort for about a month, now still maybe 1 car in 3 has a phone in the hand. 

Although my friend did get pulled over for scratching her ear for an extended period of time.  But it was the end of the month and quotas were due.   Dont drive with your cell the last week of the month. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jfa

I got a ticket for it in our country republic state last summer. Cost me $135 USD.

Meanwhile, I see cops talking on the cellphone all the time while they're driving, and I can't even count the number of people I see texting while driving.

This is what a responsible person should do.  Legally liable if they don't?  Maybe not.

I'm not Skippy nor advocating for the plaintiffs, but ... if I'm in a texting conversation with my wife and I KNOW it distracts the bejeezuz out of her, to the point that she strays out of her lane, then I think it's reasonable to hold me partially at fault if I continue that conversation.  Apparently, there's some question whether the girlfriend knew he was driving as she continued to text with him.  The article wasn't clear whether it was a pair of texts or a larger conversation, though:

Right before the crash, Best said he glanced down at his phone to see who had sent him a message.

A time sequence of the exchanged texts that was read in court showed he was the last to text before the crash. Best texted Colonna seconds before 5:48 p.m. She responded 31 seconds later. Best texted her back, and seconds later he called 911 to report the collision.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Maggie & Molly

in my opinion the only person responsible is the driver.  He should have ignored his phone or pulled over. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I got a ticket for it in our country republic state last summer. Cost me $135 USD.

Meanwhile, I see cops talking on the cellphone all the time while they're driving, and I can't even count the number of people I see texting while driving.

To be fair, sometimes cops are using a full computer whilst they're driving.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AnneCA

She must be wealthy.  Because, why else add a 19-year old girlfriend, who won't even have auto coverage for the incident, as a defendant?  How many 19-year olds do you know with homeowners or umbrella?  Gotta be that she brings something to the table as a defendant that the driver doesn't, because otherwise Skippy's not going to get paid for this.

AnneCA

woops

On On

xhristopher

To be fair, sometimes cops are using a full computer whilst they're driving.

...and they don't need seatbelts either. Neither local laws or the laws of physics apply to them. 

jules2

It is illegal to use a mobile phone / cell phone whilst driving in the UK.  Not sure if it has improved accident rates or not.

Yet everyday I see drivers using mobiles. To hold the girlfriend partly responsible is crazy but if I were the motorcyclists I would be more than a little angry that the driver didn't get jailed for a year or two plus a long ban. Even using a "hands free" has been been proved to be more distracting than talking to someone. As for the emergency services say you are out running and are hit by a car ( driven by a driver who is texting ) would you be happy as you lay there bleeding to death to know the police / ambulance services are going to turn up too late because they are obeying all traffic laws including crossings, speed limits etc.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Feeling the growl again

As for the emergency services say you are out running and are hit by a car ( driven by a driver who is texting ) would you be happy as you lay there bleeding to death to know the police / ambulance services are going to turn up too late because they are obeying all traffic laws including crossings, speed limits etc.

That may be part of the job, but they don't restrict their usage to that. We had a serious accident around here awhile back where the officer was typing non work related emails at the time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maggie & Molly

Yet everyday I see drivers using mobiles. To hold the girlfriend partly responsible is crazy but if I were the motorcyclists I would be more than a little angry that the driver didn't get jailed for a year or two plus a long ban. Even using a "hands free" has been been proved to be more distracting than talking to someone. As for the emergency services say you are out running and are hit by a car ( driven by a driver who is texting ) would you be happy as you lay there bleeding to death to know the police / ambulance services are going to turn up too late because they are obeying all traffic laws including crossings, speed limits etc.

I think it is completely appropriate for police/emt's to use their sirens and lights to drive faster and to go through lights, etc when responding to a scene but I've seen cops texting just as much as I've seen random people texting - just as dangerous, the badge doesn't make it safer.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Some more good stuff from NJ.  You cannot make this up.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/nj-buckle-up-your-dog-cat-or-face-fines.html

This is good, because, now that we've solved all the other problems that we have in New Jersey, we can tackle un-buckled dogs in the car.

Jeff

jfa

Indeed.

That and we, as citizens of this state, are so effing stupid that Trenton must create all these laws to protect us (and now our pets) from that stupidity.

Yikes.