Insanity and running? (Read 486 times)

drwarden1986

I am 220 pounds and am trying to lose weight so I want to Ryun at 5:30am then do the insanity program.

Is this a good combination to start out with?

Undecided

drwarden1986

I am 220 pounds and am trying to lose weight so I want to Run at 5:30am then do the insanity program.

Undecided

Not dead. Yet.

I am 220 pounds and am trying to lose weight so I want to Ryun at 5:30am then do the insanity program.

Sounds like too much too fast.  Those programs are great, but you basically need to be mostly fit when you start to get through them.  You will most likely crash and burn.

Go lighter and slower.  That kind of workout is unsustainable for most beginners, especially if the wake up at 5:30 part is a change as well.  The goal is to change the way you live so that fitness can be a part of your daily routine.  Thats the only way you are going to lose the weight and keep it off .  If you try to do too much too fast you will most likely burn out and give up.

If running is new to you, start with the Couch to 5k  (google it) program and build from there.  Running burns off hella calories.  Once you get fit you can pick up Insanity.

PS.  You also need to eat healthy.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Better I Leave

And to piggyback on what sdizazzo has stated, a bit more info might help. You're 220lbs, but what's your height? Your age? Your existing level of fitness? You're at 220 and want to get to what? How fast? What does your current diet look like?

RHABDOMYOLYSIS - Military (and now crossfit, insanity, P90X, etc) have observed extreme cases of rhabdomyolysis - up to renal failure. Fitness (eg. gradual buildup) is protective. Programs like Insanity, that encourage do everything all out from day 1, are not the best idea.

Apart from that danger, which realistically isn't that big even though if you as new to exercising and a bit overweight you'd be at highest risk, these types of workouts are more energy demand than strength building. Build strength & cardiovascular endurance first

Run - build into it gradually. You will get better, and your body will adapt to the stresses (including impact)

Work out - Go ahead with weights if you have easy (and cheap/free) access, if not you can probably do quite well with body weight exercises for a while. Push ups, crunches/situps, squats, lunges, pull ups... add a couple dumbells or some rubber bands, alternatively do isometrics and you can probably do a pretty complete strength workout.

+ a gazillion on the eating. As big an impact as anything you can do for activity, and you can easily counteract any amount of exercise with food.

i run because i am insane, does that count?

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

GoRunDad

I agree with the comments above.  In addition, Insanity requires complete dedication for it to be of any value.  I did not miss one day in the 60 day cycle and was impressed with the workouts and results.  There is absolutely no way that Insanity can be combined with running without burning out quickly, injury, or significantly reducing the effort (= no value).

I do have to say that Insanity is the only workout program that I had ever purchased at the time.  Was very skeptical but the commercial reminded me of doing all out Tabatas.  It was that and a heck of a lot more.  Kicked my tail.  I recommended it to a couple of friends who both had high fitness levels and could dedicate the 60 days.  Both saw great results.  One stopped talking to me after week one was completed but came back around at the end of the program to liking me again.  Again, these guys were athletes and already serious runners.

It also had a great impact on my running as my fitness level went from decent to very good.  I have since purchased P90x and had great results with it as well.  That program I modified to insert running on the cardio days.  Probably gave up some benefits by doing so but I absolutely hate working out indoors.  Trail run or sweat in front of a TV - hmmm.......

some call me Tim

considering that Beachbody is a bunch of bozos out to make a profit with little regard for anything else, i think it's the better question

insanity and running? why yes, but slightly less so.

GoRunDad

Wow, couldn't disagree more.  Their customer service has always been fast and polite.  No hassle when I wanted to return something.  Their website does a great job of providing forums and chats with the various instructors who do the videos in order to provide direction, support, and encouragement.  I found both Insanity and P90x to be well done and above expectation.

They do harp on selling the accessories such as gear and drinks etc but what company doesn't?  I tone that out or opt out just like I do with all the emails I get from companies that I have done some business.

As far as "just iout to make a profit" goes, I would certainly hope so.  Otherwise, their products and support would cease to exist.  That is hopefully the goal of Nike, Brooks, New Balance, and every other company I choose.

some call me Tim

Lots of companies manage to do ok without slimy mlm business practices, and also turn a profit while being driven by other factors... I never said they weren't allowed to make a buck.  I am familiar with some of their products and I agree - they're good. I think they encourage the type of training that inevitably leads to injury, but whatever... they're not alone and that's not my beef. Having lived through family and friends being involved in all manner of mlm, I have a pretty low tolerance for that kind of thing.

L.Chang

I absolutely agree. Maybe you could incorporate some intervals into your running (like intensify it a bit), but that Insanity is...well, pretty insane! Smile

Sounds like too much too fast.  Those programs are great, but you basically need to be mostly fit when you start to get through them.  You will most likely crash and burn.

Go lighter and slower.  That kind of workout is unsustainable for most beginners, especially if the wake up at 5:30 part is a change as well.  The goal is to change the way you live so that fitness can be a part of your daily routine.  Thats the only way you are going to lose the weight and keep it off .  If you try to do too much too fast you will most likely burn out and give up.

If running is new to you, start with the Couch to 5k  (google it) program and build from there.  Running burns off hella calories.  Once you get fit you can pick up Insanity.

PS.  You also need to eat healthy.

Running Chick

if you are starting, you could do a run/walk type of thing....  one of my friends does the insanity thing - and has had great results.  it has to be what motivates you to get fit.  i'm a runner, but i recognize not everyone is - and running may not be there way to get fit.  i would try the run/walk to start.  if that seems doable, then go with it.  if it is too much like work, switch over and see if you like the insanity workout better.  both at the same time - especially on the same day - seem like that could cause you to burnout quickly.....  good luck!  love.

KeepCalmRunOn

Maybe you should consider trying a beginner product from Beachbody. I've done Power90 while training and I really enjoyed it.  You might want to compare the products to see which would be best for you to start with while running- http://www.beachbody.com/category/fitness_programs/compare_fitness_programs.do

running metalhead

of course it does!!! A good dose of insanity is a pre-condition for running...

How else do you explain getting out for a run when it's pouring down cats and dogs?

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

running metalhead

Undecided

NO.

First cardio and then more cardio ?

Not good. Too much to start with.

Just run for cardio, makes you loose a lot of weight and it's cheaper ... and then add some normal strength training days. Both trainings, running and strength work together very nicely: One makes you loose weight, the other makes you stronger so that you can loose more weight and gain some muscle.

Note that cardio will NOT male you gain muscle, it's weight training what does and exactly slow weight training with low reps and heigh weight. I don't recommend that you do that but you could start with high reps and moderate weight, slow controlled reps. I assure you it is not only excellent in terms of training, but it can become more relaxing than yoga. The advantage is that you won't burn out as quick as doing these silly Hype Intensity workouts.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)