What Must I Do To Run Faster? (Read 2334 times)

Scout7

Wanna get faster? Run as often as possible.
      At no point in time does the human body ever produce lactic acid.
      What do you mean by this Mike? I always thought the lactic acid building up was what caused my muscle soreness.
      Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
        YOU ...have also given me advice, but have delivered it in a scolding and condescending manner. Who the heck are YOU that I should be shaking in my boots eh? Roll eyes Shocked Roll eyes
        I think you are confusing "scolding and condescending" with direct. When you ask for advice on a public forum you will receive good advice, bad advice and everything in between. You have the right to agree or disagree with that advice as you see fit. You do not have the right to publicly reject or discredit that advice by stating you have no intention of following it or by posting articles to contradict it as you did with the advice I provided along with that of several others. That is both insulting and a total waste of time for all involved. Hopefully that's not being too direct. It's quite possible that if you spend more time following the excellent advice you've received and less time challenging it you will indeed get faster. I hope it works out well for you. Tom
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Some thoughts - 1. Run more 2. Run further 3. Run slower for most of your miles 4. Run faster for some of your miles 5. Run consistently week in, week out, year in, year out 6. Don't look for shortcuts like whatever latest fad or dietary trick is out there 7. The next point is the very most important point I can make. 8. Don't make it complicated...just run.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh. And what Jake Knight said. Repeat.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hefty, I strongly recommend that you listen to these folks! I have, and their advice has done wonders for me. I will be running 30 miles this week, 9 of which will be my long run. If you knew me, you would realize that this accomplishment approaches miracle status for me! I'm still slow as molasses, but at least it's warm molasses now - I'm getting faster without trying harder. I have NO soreness, and my lungs never burn. Good luck! Please don't push too hard and hurt yourself. Teresa

The Greatest of All Time

Simple patented two-step JK program to make you faster: 1) Every time you're tempted to Google, read, or post a study on how to get faster without running more - go run 2 miles. 2) Repeat. You're welcome.
                Dude, did you read my book ?
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  Simple patented two-step JK program to make you faster: 1) Every time you're tempted to Google, read, or post a study on how to get faster without running more - go run 2 miles. 2) Repeat. You're welcome.
                  Running twice a day might just be the way, yes. On the weekends and before work, I have certain responsibilities that leave me with some computer time. I have some time after work, about an hour or so to dedicate to training. One of the reasons for my slowness might be my size 13 feet, along with weighing over 200 lbs. Taking shorter faster strides seems to help. This person is taking shorter strides and running a 5 minute mile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RImOmcjitxg
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The time has come. Make your log public.
                    mikeymike

The time has come. Make your log public.
                      Why?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why?
                        He implied in his latest post that to run more, he would have to double. I'd like to see the log. It might help tailor the advice from the "run more" to "run more AND on Tuesdays".
                        mikeymike

He implied in his latest post that to run more, he would have to double.
                          Well true. But he also posted excerpts of "scientific" articles to refute some of the most basic principles of endurance training. He posted pictures of lung tissue (I think). He posted video of a high school kid running an indoor mile with a strikingly ordinary stride supposedly as evidence that shorter strides help. (Help what he didn't mention.) He has you and Globule debating the validity of a study on the effects of garlic on VO2max. I think you've got enough to work with without seeing his running log. Just sayin'.

Runners run

Paging Dr. Dilligaf.
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

At no point in time does the human body ever produce lactic acid.
                              False. Lactic acid (or lactate) is produced when glucose and glycogen are broken down via glycolysis (pyruvate is formed first, but is readily converted to lactate.).
                              What do you mean by this Mike? I always thought the lactic acid building up was what caused my muscle soreness.
                              Lactate is actually used as an energy source, and is not a metabolic waste product. Your body's ability to handle and metabolize lactate is a key component to athletic performance. Lactic Acid Is Not Muscles' Foe, It's Fuel
                              "Lactic acid will be gone from your muscles within an hour of exercise," he said. "You get sore one to three days later. The time frame is not consistent, and the mechanisms have not been found."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

chrimbler

Hefty...just go run, stop reading Crap on the internet and JUST RUN!! Run fast if you want to, get your lungs burning if that turns your crank, but just run!! Oh, if you do run all your runs fast, let us know what happens...in the Health and nutrition section maybe???
                                Run like you stole it!