I have to get ready in two months for my test for the police. (Read 219 times)

New runner

Hello guys. I just found these forums and created an account. I hope I can get some crucial help here. It's very important to me.

I'm Kemal, btw, and live in Denmark. I've finished the classes and courses I need for the police academy, took me 2 years, and now the only thing holding me back is cardio.

I have to be able to run 1.5 miles (2.4km) in about 10 minutes. I can do 12 minutes now. I just don't feel like I'm improving much so I need some of your knowledge. What can I do?

Right now, I'm working out (lifting) 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) and run 3 times a week (tue, thu, sat). I do the thing that's called 10-20-30, don't know if you have heard about it, but it's

basically just HIIT. I jog (or walk fast) for 30 seconds, run at moderate speed for 20 seconds and sprint for 10 seconds. I do this 5 times, for a total of 5 minutes, after which I take a 2-minute break and do it again twice.

A total of 3 sets.

Some days, I just tried to run at a pace and keep it for the entire run. Like this, I run about 4-5km.

I'm 29 years old, male, 176cm tall and weigh about 81kg.

I don't know if I'm holding back on some important information, but please do ask, if that's the case.

I have to be able to get this before middle of December. The tests will be any time after December 17th.

I really hope this is the right place and that you can help me. I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong here. This is my first post.

Sincerely, Kemal.

- Kemal Kinali

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think there's a very good chance you can achieve this goal by Dec.

I'm no expert [but if I say something dumb others are guaranteed to chime in], but I would suggest you do this:

First 3 weeks:

1) work up to running 4mi a day at least 3 days a week.  Say M, W, Fr

2) On Sunday, warm up for 2mi.  Then do your HIIT workout.  Except eliminate the 2min break: jog/walking for 30second should be plenty.  Do a 1-2mi cool-down jog after your reps.

On the last week do a time-trial instead of your HIIT workout: warmup for 2mi (very slow).  Then time yourself for 1.5mi.

2nd 3 weeks:

1) add another run on Thursday.  4mi

2) On Sunday: 2mi warmup.  Rest.  Then do 6x400m at the pace you need for you 1.5mi run.  90sec rest between (or until your breathing stabilizes).  Work to make the last 400m even or slightly faster than the 2nd (the first one is often a bit slow).  Then 1-2mi cool-down

Two weeks out from your test you should do a time-trial again.

The week before the test just do the 4mi runs, and rest the day before.

I think you should be fine.  Good luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

New runner

I think there's a very good chance you can achieve this goal by Dec.

I'm no expert [but if I say something dumb others are guaranteed to chime in], but I would suggest you do this:

First 3 weeks:

1) work up to running 4mi a day at least 3 days a week.  Say M, W, Fr

2) On Sunday, warm up for 2mi.  Then do your HIIT workout.  Except eliminate the 2min break: jog/walking for 30second should be plenty.  Do a 1-2mi cool-down jog after your reps.

On the last week do a time-trial instead of your HIIT workout: warmup for 2mi (very slow).  Then time yourself for 1.5mi.

2nd 3 weeks:

1) add another run on Thursday.  4mi

2) On Sunday: 2mi warmup.  Rest.  Then do 6x400m at the pace you need for you 1.5mi run.  90sec rest between (or until your breathing stabilizes).  Work to make the last 400m even or slightly faster than the 2nd (the first one is often a bit slow).  Then 1-2mi cool-down

Two weeks out from your test you should do a time-trial again.

The week before the test just do the 4mi runs, and rest the day before.

I think you should be fine.  Good luck!

You can't imagine how comforting your answer has been to me, sir!

I greatly appreciate it.

I will follow your plan very, very strictly. Some places, I read that you should run 6 days a week etc. You suggest 3 days and later, 4 days. I think this sounds more realistic, not because I want to slack, but recovery wise.

But when you say "work up to run 4 miles, three times a week," do you mean, even if I can't run 4 miles a day yet, I should work my way up there?

About eliminating my 2 min break. Are you sure? I mean. After those 5 minutes, I feel like I'm dying. I'm not sure I could go another 5 minutes, let alone twice more.

And the warmup for 2 miles; should I just run it very slowly?

Last question, I'm sorry. I don't understand what I'm supposed to with the 6x400m pace run. Should I just run the 400 metres at the pace I think I need for the entire 2.4km test? And do it with 90 sec rest in between. Not questioning your plan at all, just want to know the strategy behind this to better understand the whole approach. Maybe it's just to make it faster for every 400m, as an interval-like training? Smile

Sincerely,

Kemal.

- Kemal Kinali

Some days, I just tried to run at a pace and keep it for the entire run. Like this, I run about 4-5km.

Kemal,

I get from the above that you might be running your aerobic runs at a faster pace than necessary. Aerobic runs should be run at a comfortable pace where I believe you can work up to 4 miles. Slowing down and increasing the distance works wonders.

About eliminating my 2 min break. Are you sure? I mean. After those 5 minutes, I feel like I'm dying. I'm not sure I could go another 5 minutes, let alone twice more.

And the warmup for 2 miles; should I just run it very slowly?

Try it and you may be surprised that it does not get any worse than the feeling you have at the end of your first 5 minutes before the 2 min break, as Jeff says (likely paraphrasing it very liberally) it's the perception of pain of the pain to come, not the actual pain of the moment which is always tolerable, that limits our workout.  The 10 second sprints don't have to be all out, but at 95% of your top speed should be fine.

Don't worry about the pace of the warmup, do it at a pace that stabilizes your breathing and you are sweating a bit by the time you are ready for your workout.

Last question, I'm sorry. I don't understand what I'm supposed to with the 6x400m pace run. Should I just run the 400 metres at the pace I think I need for the entire 2.4km test? And do it with 90 sec rest in between. Not questioning your plan at all, just want to know the strategy behind this to better understand the whole approach. Maybe it's just to make it faster for every 400m, as an interval-like training? Smile

I believe the idea is to get the pace dialed in and its not a shock to your body on race day, and run at that pace for similar distance of your race but with the breaks in between.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I will follow your plan very, very strictly. Some places, I read that you should run 6 days a week etc. You suggest 3 days and later, 4 days. I think this sounds more realistic, not because I want to slack, but recovery wise.

But when you say "work up to run 4 miles, three times a week," do you mean, even if I can't run 4 miles a day yet, I should work my way up there?

Others have answered the other questions.  6 days a week of running is certain best.  For new runners I wouldn't go above 5 days a week, with a rest day after the HIIT workout (your hard workout for the week).  The plan I gave was very conservative mostly because I can't gauge how "new" you are to running and how fit.  By your picture, I might have low-balled it.  Damn.  Also not sure how much your lifting taxes you.  Working from 4days to 5days would certainly be preferred, but I think you could hit this goal with 4days.  The 3 assumed you had very little fitness.

And yes, up to 4 assumed you might have trouble making 4.  If 4 is not a problem, then you could safely start there and make one or two a 5mi run.  Most likely you're running them too fast, though.  Everyone does this.  You should be running these 4milers at a pace were you could tell a story without pausing to catch your breath.  That slow.  The HIIP day is when you tear it up.

As for the HIIP, I misread that you do 5xSet then 3 sets.  2mins is still a long time.  I'd work it down to 90secs between the 5min set.

The 6x400 should be run at the same pace you're targeting for the 1.5mi test.  So, 10min target is a 6:30 mile (1600m).  So, that's a 97sec 400m.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

New runner

You guys are the best. I love these forums already. Thank you all a million times for the nice, warm and helpful replies!!

I will read everything over a few times, since there are many things I really WANT to understand completely, to make better use of your advice. And then I will combine everything and start following everything that's been said.

Have a nice rest of the day and a wonderful weekend, everyone. You're the best!

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking of taking a break from lifting (which I love, but running is more crucial for me these two months) and just focus on running. Both for better recovery and better focus on my priority that is running.

- Kemal Kinali

#artbydmcbride

On the day of the test, be sure to warm up thoroughly, maybe a half mile jog and a number of strides. 

Runners run

New runner

On the day of the test, be sure to warm up thoroughly, maybe a half mile jog and a number of strides. 

Don't worry, they are gonna torture us for the warmup before the physical tests. 25 minutes of various exercises like burpees, bearwalks, jumping jacks, some running and things like that.

Hopefully, I won't be drained too much Big grin

- Kemal Kinali

JanaLamb

A lot of new runners learn immediately that the more they run, the faster they can get. Just by running more should help you in getting closer to your goal.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

A month old, maybe too late but here's my take.

You need to run a 6:40 pace for 10 minutes to hit 1.5 miles. Really? Is that to max the test or just to pass? That seems really fast. For comparison, that' pace is just about a max score on the US Army PT test except the Army requires 2 miles at that pace, age varies but it's close to that.

I didn't catch a goal date to hit in your post. That could change everyone's advice quite a bit. I'm assuming it's mid December and you have one month to go.

My advice is to run 1/2 mile repeats at that pace on a treadmill with 1-2 minutes of recovery running at a 9 minute pace or so in between just to see if you can cover the distance at that pace. Then you'll have a good gauge of pace/distance.

What others have suggested looks to me like just running fast with a couple of 4-5 miles easy and hoping for the best.

I'd focus more on running the pace needed to hit the goal. Do that every three days with one 4-5 mile run thrown in. Keep lifting if you want but those weights should be so light that your body is not taxed. Sacrifice your lifting until you meet the running goal if it's that important.

Just puttin' it out there...Less time posing, more time running.