Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

I'm going to have another pop at this on the weekend.

I've done 17:01, 17:05 & 17:05 earlier in the year so I'm close, but I've recovered quite slowly from my marathon a couple of weeks ago.  I'll give it a good shot anyway.

coach-T

This is my "life goal" as I plan to first run under 17 once, then begin a move up to the half marathon.  I would like it to be next thanksgiving (2012) so I will throw my hat in here hoping that will create the motivation I need to begin my way there since I can never seem to motivate myself to even break 100 miles in a month.... of course I need to break the 18 min 5k again first (note this is not in my log since it was in High School).

I'm going to have another pop at this on the weekend.

I've done 17:01, 17:05 & 17:05 earlier in the year so I'm close, but I've recovered quite slowly from my marathon a couple of weeks ago.  I'll give it a good shot anyway.

17:27 today - probably about what I expected given my current fitness.  I will try and see if I can get closer in the next few weeks.

Wasnt feeling it this morning. 750am start time is early for a Sunday.
          Mile 1: 535 (Garmin was off and this mile was long)
          Mile 2: 533 (Passing the two mile marker at 1058, right on pace!)
          Mile 3: 525 (Slight uphill section, about 600m long to make up for the slight downhill at the start)
          Point One: 22 (Actually 0.08 on the watch)
          Total: 1658 and second overall. Despite feeling like Susan Lucci, I'm pretty happy with everything from the pacing to the effort. Glad to have knocked out another running goal.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Cool as a Cucumber

Had a rough week of every kind of failure possible (overtraining, injury, extreme fatigue, undertraining). Came out this morning and ran 17:59, which was better than my goal of 18:30. I ran 18:23 last week, and this course was a little hillier (but hardpack instead of grass).

Mile 1: 5:33

Mile 2: 6:01

Mile 3 + 0.1: 6:25 (5:50/mi)

Couldn't be happier! I screwed up my mileage for this week, but now I'lll have more of a schedule so hopefully I can do some more 50 mile weeks and then a few 55 mile weeks. Two week break till my next race.

The pavement fears me.

coach-T

Congrats Parklife

mikeymike

Wasnt feeling it this morning. 750am start time is early for a Sunday.
                Mile 1: 535 (Garmin was off and this mile was long)
                Mile 2: 533 (Passing the two mile marker at 1058, right on pace!)
                Mile 3: 525 (Slight uphill section, about 600m long to make up for the slight downhill at the start)
                Point One: 22 (Actually 0.8 on the watch)
                Total: 1658 and second overall. Despite feeling like Susan Lucci, I'm pretty happy with everything from the pacing to the effort. Glad to have knocked out another running goal.

Great work!

Runners run

Thanks everybody.

The 70 mile weeks really helped as I wasnt feeling fast for my race, but if I find a pace I can really lock onto it these days. Of course stringing together 15 months of consistent training is nice too.

I never thought of myself as a "grinder", but my last two races were just that. I wasnt feeling great, but still was able to settle in and tick off those miles. Anyway, I've started to develop a special place in my heart for the the 5k.

I had another good week of training. 75 miles, including 5 x 1200 and 7 total tempo miles..  and still managed to take Sunday off. Taking Sunday off was nice in that I didnt feel like a slave to the mileage count. Plus, having four workouts (and no days off) on the schedule this week will be plenty.

I am trying to get longer tempos in as there is a half coming up that it would be really nice to do well in. Does this idea has any merit?

I had another good week of training. 75 miles, including 5 x 1200 and 7 total tempo miles..  and still managed to take Sunday off. Taking Sunday off was nice in that I didnt feel like a slave to the mileage count. Plus, having four workouts (and no days off) on the schedule this week will be plenty.

I am trying to get longer tempos in as there is a half coming up that it would be really nice to do well in. Does this idea has any merit?

Considering your half PR pace is slower than your marathon pace, you could make it a 8 mile tempo jog the rest and still PR...
                      mikeymike

Because what this place needs most is another Goal of X time for Y distance thread.

My story is that in the spring of 2004, after about 4 years of relatively consistent and progressive training and racing, I upped my mileage and had a breakthrough season. One day in May at a local yokel 5K, I ran 17 flat. Officially, anyway. The last numbers I saw on the finish clock before I crossed under it were in the 16:5X's and my watch, which I stopped a few meters after the finish line, read 16:59.xx, but the official results said 17:00.00, so there it was. Seriously, point zero, zero. I wish I were kidding. But no worries, I figured. Surely I'd just break 17 at some other 5K that summer or sometime soon. It was a given at that point. A lock. Well, later that summer my running took a left turn and I wound up taking a hiatus from racing and any real training for almost 2 years. When I started back at in in 2006, I'd lost not one step but many, many steps. It took a while and a lot of miles but I'm almost back to where I was.

There were two major pieces of unfinished business from that spring of 2004--a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. I checked off the marathon last October. So here we are. This may all end badly but I figure if I don't give it a serious go this year then I'll only be one year older when I do. Who's with me?

Bump for 2013.

Runners run

Bump for 2013.

Thanks for bumping Mikey. This is my one and only goal for 2013.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          coach-T

I like the bump... my goal 2 years ago was to have this be my goal this year; have not broken 18 in 12 years but for many reasons this should still be the year; I will me doubling my yearly mileage and I have not taken the winter off like I usually do so my hope is I can take that 26 seconds off a mile!

my hope is I can take that 26 seconds off a mile!

Funny how hard or easy x seconds / mile are to come by wherever you are on the training / experience curve. The above are my 5k times (there was no consistent running from 2001 - 2010). In 2011 I got 15 seconds or so, last year struggled to pick up 5 seconds. Sort of counting on accumulation of good training over last 2 years + focus on 5k + a little strength training + more consistent workouts + more racing to get down to 17...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              mikeymike

Yeah well I'm only looking for 0.3 seconds per mile off my 9 year old PR and 2 seconds per mile of my best 5k from 2012. It sounds a hell of a lot easier than it is sometimes.

Runners run