Marathon kids: Too young to run? (Read 1047 times)

Found this interesting. Thought others might as well. Would be interested in hearing people's thoughts: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071109.wlmarathon09/BNStory/lifeMain/home
    PWL

Has been

17-year-olds don't concern me a whole lot. 10-year-olds on the other hand--I don't know? Confused

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Go Pre!

We go with the adage that 1/2 M for teens (semi-fully-grown) and no more than 2 per year. 18-ish or fully grown before tackling the full M (this goes for training beyond the 1/2 M distance too) It's a common sense thing I think, which a lot of parents living through their children seem to have trouble with!
          We've talked about maybe doing the Disney Marathon someday and my 10 year old wants to try the half. Disney has an age minimum of 12 (IIRC) and several other races require 13 - so we told him 12 is the earliest we would think about even letting him train for it. I agree with 17-18 being a minimum for the full marathon.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm far more worried about all the kids who are obese than the few who want to race. Of course heavy training at a young age is probably a bad idea. But the definition of "heavy" really depends on the individual -- some kids could probably race a marathon without overly stressing themselves, even at age 16.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A 15 year old is registered for Monkey.
                A 15 year old is registered for Monkey.
                That's child endangerment Big grin

Vim

Marathonmanleto

It really depends on the child. I f the child wants to do it and puts in the time training then good for him. He should do it. There have not been any studies to my knowledge showing that this is in some way risky or damaging to a childs development. Far more unhealthy is the child who sits in front of a TV staring at video games.
                  Scout7

I think the biggest limiting factor is the commitment. Training for a marathon is difficult, requires a fair amount of self-discipline and time. How many younger kids are able to grasp that and devote the time required?
                      That's child endangerment Big grin
                      Only because of the danger of the flying monkeys.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

It really depends on the child. I f the child wants to do it and puts in the time training then good for him. He should do it. There have not been any studies to my knowledge showing that this is in some way risky or damaging to a childs development. Far more unhealthy is the child who sits in front of a TV staring at video games.
                        Agree 100%.

Runners run

Go Pre!

Yes we are all more worried about the kids sitting in front of the TV but that doesnt mean we allow the dedicated ones to over-train and run marathons when they're physically not ready and yes, there have been studies.

Why is it sideways?

... to over-train and run marathons when they're physically not ready...
                            Says the man who ran a marathon with ITBS... Wink

Anyone have pizza?

I did my first when I was barely 19. Still to date, the greatest experience I ever had!!! Cool

Marathonmanleto

Show me the studies.