starting doubles (Read 1513 times)

A Saucy Wench

Oh good sweet lord. Could we stop the petty bickering and focus on the original question that was asked? Its not fair to the OP to hijack his legit thread with all this...nattering. I swear, its like being in a nursing home of old married folks.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Sulli42

Oh good sweet lord. Could we stop the petty bickering and focus on the original question that was asked? Its not fair to the OP to hijack his legit thread with all this...nattering. I swear, its like being in a nursing home of old married folks.
      I thought R2W answered his question quite well, not only that R2W, unlike Lord Nobby, has the observable stats to back up his advice.

Look; I didnt' mean to "attack" him; obviously, some people took it as an attack and he seems to have been offended.
        My problem isn't with the advice. I've done that sort of training before and probably will again. In fact, as a suggestion it wouldn't have bugged me. What bugged me was specifically calling me out and stating that my advice was no good and the underlying assumption that there's only 1 way to train. I just like to answer people's questions with personal experiences if I can to show when something I say has some basis in having been done as opposed to just being a theory. There are advantages and limitations to training once per day or training multiple times per day.
        However, I worked directly with a guy by the name of Arthur Lydiard (I hope you recognize this name)
        Name dropping is more impressive when its your own name.
        Nobby - I can't imagine what Blaine might have said to offend you, but attacking a person on a message board because you think you're more hardcore than them is pretty sad.
        I don't think that was what he was necessarily doing. I just found it humorous that he called me soft (whether he meant to or not) and I'm a competitive alpha male type person (My business is called Run to Win, after all!) so I like taking the obvious opportunities to assert myself now and again.
        Blaine - I'm from Maine too. Maybe I'll see you at a race sometime.
        If you race in Southern Maine, I'll be around all season. With my goal marathon being on May 4, I doubt that I'll be racing at Sea Dogs but will probably be there to volunteer some time. If you are near Portland, I'm one of the sponsors for the Back Cove weekly racing series on Wednesday nights, and for the past 2 years I've been at all but 2 of them (missed 1 in 2006 because I was on my honeymoon, and 1 in 2007 because I was at a conference which I thankfully returned home from on my anniversary!) That's usually a manageable crowd for finding folks at and the races are a lot of fun even if you just treat them as workouts.
        Oh good sweet lord. Could we stop the petty bickering and focus on the original question that was asked?
        This is a good situation for where private messages would be nice. Then I could have stuck to how I integrate doubles into my current training cycle here in the thread (which is what was being asked how to do, after all) and responded to the personal attack (intentional or not) privately. But as such, so it goes. I had fun for a few minutes.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I truly don't think Nobby is being arrogant. My Dad once told me that when he first started his business he would meet other business owners who have been in business for 25-30+ years and he would always feel that they were very arrogant. He said he realizes now after owning a business for 25 years that they weren't being arrogant at all but they had been there and done it and truly knew much more than he did. Nobby has trained with the absolute best and I can almost guarantee he is more knowledgeable of running than any other poster here. Sure it may not have been the kindest thing to say to Blaine but I don't believe that he was trying to attack him. Even if you didn't like what he said you can still learn a lot from him and there is no need to take what he says personally.

Sure it may not have been the kindest thing to say to Blaine but I don't believe that he was trying to attack him. Even if you didn't like what he said you can still learn a lot from him and there is no need to take what he says personally.
            I think that's the general consensus. If it isn't, it should be. I still find Nobby's comment about me being soft extremely humorous, whether intentioned or not.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Think Whirled Peas

I'm thinking about incorporating doubles (running twice in one day) into my training. I've been running between 25 and 30 miles a week for about 5 years. Over that time, my weekly mileage has increased at times when I was training for a half marathon or marathon, and has decreased to about 20 miles/week when I play hockey in the winter. I run 5 days a week. I've been pondering adding a sixth day, but I thought I would try doubles first. I would like to add the doubles to help me in my goal of decreasing my 5k (21:59) and 10k (47:29) PRs, which were both set in 2004 during half marathon training. Last summer, I ran mostly 5ks, and most of my times were around 22:45, with one 22:26. In the last few months, I've been pretty consistently running 5 miles 3-4 times a week at lunch, and then getting in one more run on the weekend. I'm thinking about taking one or two days a week and dropping the lunch mileage down to 3 miles and adding another run after work. Does anyone have any advice on adding doubles? Does my plan seem reasonable, or do you think I'd be better off with a different approach? I've got about a month before my summer track workouts start, and I'd like to figure out a plan for the summer by then.
              I'm starting doubles too, and I gotta tell ya, so far I really like them. I don't have a huge block of time per day to put in runs of 7-10 miles, but would like to increase my weekly mileage into the 45-55 range, so I figured doubles it is for me. I plan on doing them 3-5 times a week just to get some easy miles in after dinner. My biggest reason for doing it then is so that I don't start picking after dinner. I'm trying to get my weight down and have been sabotaging myself by roaming the kitchen all evening. Running a short 30-45 minutes after dinner suppresses my appetite and keeps me from snacking. I hope you give doubles a shot, I think you'll find them enjoyable. Let us know how they go too! (But maybe in a new thread!) Peace, Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>