Cats poop is stinkier than before (Read 175 times)

xhristopher

Put the litter box on the porch, in the basement, or garage. Anywhere but in the entire room.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The very occasional vomit in the house when they eat something they don't like is epic though.

Cats may puke far more often than most dogs, but when dogs puke it's generally FAR nastier a job to deal with.

Related: when we bought our new house we went from a place with almost no carpeting to a place that is entirely carpeted on the upstairs floor (would have been more than that, but we had the seller install high-end laminate on the entire downstairs living area...stuff is friggin' bomb-proof and really pretty with beveled edges and texture that makes it look like the real deal).  Right away we invested in one of these and in a months time it has totally paid for itself...especially as one of our dumb feline boys has taken to eating potting soil out of a plant and yakking it up (only on carpet or area rugs, of course!):

We've got a Bissell pet hair-specific vacuum that I'm totally happy with, too.  They seem to have figured this market out.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

We have a Spot-Bot, too:

Not only will our Spot-Bot clean up cat puke, he'll clean up his own puke! The exhaust gases can be a little overwhelming sometimes, though. Joking

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not only will our Spot-Bot clean up cat puke, he'll clean up his own puke! The exhaust gases can be a little overwhelming sometimes, though. Joking

Ha, we have a cat that LOVES to eat other cats' puke, assuming the puke is simply poorly-chewed food.  Our late female had a really sensitive gut due to her overactive thyroid, so she was a regular puker.  Ikky would hear Lola retching and come running to clean up.  We frequently cheered him on. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

No Talent Drips

I'm officially nominating this thread for the "First World Problem of the Year" award.  And a nomination like that, on website for hobby-joggers, is no small feat.

Dei Gratia

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, another first-world problem.  Our cat likes to throw her litter as far as possible across the room, even though it's a covered Booda-Dome litter box.  Any suggestions?  Seal her and the litter in there permanently/

keeponrunning

My guess is the sudden switch made it harder for the cat's body to digest, thus the excess fumes.  I'm no vet, just had cats my whole life, and I'd suggest maybe mixing the foods to help the cat's body adjust more gradually.  If that doesn't work, it might just be the food and you may ahve to switch back.  We always fed our last cat Whiskas, but with these girls the whole basement reeks if we feed them it.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Okay, another first-world problem.  Our cat likes to throw her litter as far as possible across the room, even though it's a covered Booda-Dome litter box.  Any suggestions?  Seal her and the litter in there permanently/

There are litter boxes with a door or like a little curtain across the opening. You could try that, but I'm thinking most cats aren't going to be a fan and you risk a litter box strike! I believe permanent sealing of felines in small enclosures is frowned upon by animal rights people and general society.

as for zonykel's poop problem...yeah, I really don't see what you can do about that other than switch the food back. fwiw, I make homemade food for my cats (DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT MY CAT IS ILL AND CAN'T DIGEST COMMERCIAL FOOD) and their poop is not too stinky at all.

FSBD

as for zonykel's poop problem...yeah, I really don't see what you can do about that other than switch the food back. fwiw, I make homemade food for my cats (DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT MY CAT IS ILL AND CAN'T DIGEST COMMERCIAL FOOD) and their poop is not too stinky at all.

http://youtu.be/k2-15mYWpmA

Big grin

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Kalsarikännit

http://youtu.be/k2-15mYWpmA

Big grin

Apparently no one has learned a thing about railroad right-of-ways.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Apparently no one has learned a thing about railroad right-of-ways.

Boy, did that thread turn into a grease fire.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Briefly back to the original question, maybe giving your kitties some plain yogurt would get a helpful colony of lactobacillus going in their guts.  I'd try it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Briefly back to the original question, maybe giving your kitties some plain yogurt would get a helpful colony of lactobacillus going in their guts.  I'd try it.

Purina ProFlora is good stuff, too.  You can sprinkle it on their food or add a small amount of water and they'll inhale the stuff.  One of our old kitties has IBD (talk about some nasty shits!) and is on Prednisone liquid every few days.  We mix the steroid with ProFlora and a little water and he laps it up.  I think we could sneak a lot of liquid meds into him this way.

~ Sarah Kay

One of my cats an stink up the house.  She does't cover her poop.

The other one, is the opposite. He not only covers it, but he takes out half the litter in the process.  Every day, there is litter everywhere.

Litlte pooping bastards!

- Anya

I make my kids do it.

Well, I TRY to make my kids do it.

Oh, also, we actually have a gate to the laundry where the cat box is, because before we did, the dog would go in and eat the cat's poop.

My old Shephred mix would walk around with litter on her nose.   She would always try to get those little snacks!

- Anya