Getting it back.. (Read 114 times)

mkatrun

Hi All! I use to run everyday for about 10 years and than completely fell away from it. I have tried many time to get back into it and it has been a complete struggle! Any words of wisdom?

Latent Runner

Hi All! I use to run everyday for about 10 years and than completely fell away from it. I have tried many time to get back into it and it has been a complete struggle! Any words of wisdom?

I had a six year layoff due to a badly broken leg and a partially torn off foot; the sturgeon [sic] who screwed me back together told me I'd walk with a limp for the rest of my life and that I'd never run again.  Like I said, it took me six years to figure out how to prove him wrong.

So, words of wisdom:

• Run slow, and if you think you're running slow, run even slower.
      • If possible, find a dirt trail or a golf course or some other soft surface to run on (at least initially).
      • Try out the various C25K (Couch to 5K) programs out there; they have proven to be a good way to help folks progress up to running roughly 30 miles straight.

Keep us posted on your progress.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      GinnyinPA

Following a beginner's program can be a good way to make running a consistent part of your life.  C25k is a good one, but there are others out there.  For motivation - pick a goal like a 5k that is 3 months from now.  Then make sure you're ready for it.  Do you have any friends or family members that would like to start running?  Doing it with someone can be motivating, as pride may keep you running on the days you might not want to.

mkatrun

Thanks! I think a C25K might be the way to go for now, I used to have a team which made it much easier to run. When I go it alone I tend to talk myself out it. Shipo- now that's motivation!

Would you say start by running every day, every other day, 3x a week etc?

Try to find a group to run with.  It is very motivating to get out there when you know someone is waiting for you.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt