delayed ankle sprain ? (Read 671 times)

Prophet!

anyone ever had this happened to them ? I did an 8 miler on Sunday and everything was fine. Then I went to a football game and as I was watching my University of Hawaii destroying Arizona State with our aerial attacks (5 TD passes in the second half) i felt my ankle stiffened up and then started to swell and by the end of the game i can barely put any weight on it...i had to ice it and the next day its still slightly sore but feels better..it was weird..plus its on my right ankle, which is the one that never really gets sprained.
    derek

I haven't had that happen with my ankle, but I have had it happen with my knee (I think it was the IT band to be exact). It would be fine while running, but 1-2 hours later, it would start to hurt a lot. I read that pains that occur after running are usually an early warning sign and as it gets worse, it would start to hurt "while" running so be careful.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is this the coconut ankle? I have had some similar issues in recent weeks...fine while running or maybe a little stiff/sore/weak when first starting to run, feeling fine for most of the run, then a few hours later pain. Things seem to be better now, but for a few weeks I was really worried that something was wrong. I didn't have the swelling and need to ice, though--that would concern me greatly. Can you get into your doctor in the next day or so? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

It sounds pretty similar to how my injury started. Fine during the run, then to begin with I would get this nagging weakness after runs which I just ignored. I kept running and did a 7 mile hill run with no trouble at all as my last run. Later that day I started limping and my leg became painful. I haven't been able to run since. The good news though is that I am feeling great today (11 days without running and with physio). I agree with the advice of checking with a doc as you don't want to do what I did and make a minor injury one that prevents you from hitting the roads. Like Derek said - my pain, that started as pain post-running turned to pain during a run within 11 days when I went out and managed only a couple of minutes before the pain was unbearable. Of course it could just be a minor twist and may already be well on the road to recovery but it can't hurt to check with the experts. Love the new pic of you and bubba! Heal quickly! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Prophet!

nope its not the coconut ankle. It feels a great deal better now...i was gonna go for a run but daycare people is closed today so took the day off from work and hanging out with my boy until my wife gets done from work. I'll see how it feels after this afternoon's run. Its just odd that i didn't feel it happening till later and its on my (relatively) sturdy ankle.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

You might want to take another day off even though you're feeling better now. Really! Especially because you don't know what caused it. And, if possible, when you start back, make at least your first run on a TM so that you can stop right away and don't have to hobble home if something comes up. Black eye

Roads were made for journeys...

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I turned my ankle during a run, but right away it felt fine and I finished my run no problem. About 7 hours later it started swelling up and I could barely walk to my car from work. I iced it for a couple days and gave it about 3 days off, and it was fine. Taught me not to keep running after a little turn, though! Hope it's all better soon.
                1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Prophet!

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I turned my ankle during a run, but right away it felt fine and I finished my run no problem. About 7 hours later it started swelling up and I could barely walk to my car from work. I iced it for a couple days and gave it about 3 days off, and it was fine. Taught me not to keep running after a little turn, though! Hope it's all better soon.
                  did a 3.5 mile run today and everything is fine. What's weird is that I never felt like i turned it during the run...i would've known had i turned it since it was on my healthy ankle. I'll just have to chalk it up to one of those weird running thingies.