Does a PR count if it wasn't in a race? (Read 1150 times)

Running safely

I PR'd on the 5K today. When I went to bed last night I was feeling pretty good and started thinking that maybe this morning was my morning to put to rest a wasted opportunity I had a couple of weeks ago. Then I was running a 5K race and faded on the final kilometer. As a result I got a PR (by 1 second) over my previous time, but I knew I should have done better. This morning was my chance, though there was no race scheduled, I just ran it on my own. I had a PR of 26:09 that I was trying to beat. Today's goal was 25:30 (5:06 / Km). My Km splits ended up as: 5:03, 4:51, 4:55, 4:51 and 4:59 for a total time of 24:39! I beat my previous 5K PR by 1:30!! You can read more about it at my blog.

Just Be

Congrats on your PR. Smile Although it's not official, there's no reason not to count it if you're sure it was reliably timed. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I would, however, document all your 'official' PRs elsewhere. BTW, read my blog also if you want! I'm looking for some feedback, the only comments I've been getting recently are from spammers! Sad
        I just casually count my regular runs. For me its only a PR if its an actual race.
          It is up to you dude. I just look at races. The other question here would be what about when the said distance is shorter or longer than what say a garmin forerunner shows. My half marathon on Saturday was .3 miles longer.

Vim

i only count races. congrats on your very speedy 5k though. modal - assuming the course is certified, isn't it likely to be the garmin thats wrong not the course?
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The other question here would be what about when the said distance is shorter or longer than what say a garmin forerunner shows. My half marathon on Saturday was .3 miles longer.
              A Garmin should almost always measure longer than a race course. This is because because courses are based on the absolute shortest path (tangent lines) between the curves. If you're not on the absolute inside of a turn, or if you swing out in the slightest, you add distance (like running in an outside lane on a track). All of these add up over the course of a race. In fact, if your Garmin shows equal distance or measures shorter than the course, I would be concerned that the Garmin is janky or the course is screwed up. Unless the Garmin measured much longer than the course, and you ran some splits that made no sense (i.e. 8:00 pace the whole way, but a random mile in the middle that everyone ran in 9:30), I would accept the race course distance, and not the Garmin's. As far as PR's, your choice. My 1-mile PR (1600m actually) wasn't run during a race, but 4 times around a track is 4 times around a track. For a road course, use your judgement. Based on what I said above, since you broke your PR by 1:30, you likely would have PR'd on a race course.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I think you can call it a personal best for that course and save the personal record for the certified courses. I have found that many fun runs and local races are not always certified so there lies another problem should one run on only certified courses. I personaly would count it, so now you have a new PB and need to run faster on a certified course to prove that the course was not all that short.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Lazy idiot

I think everyone is going to have a slightly different answer for this, and that's okay. Some people only count certified race courses, and some people count training runs, etc. Wherever you fall, that's cool. Because in the end, only you know what you're running for. And as for me, I count anything reasonably measured (race course or using online mapping tools) as available for PR/PB. Good luck going forward!

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A Garmin should almost always measure longer than a race course.
                    GPS devices can drop the satellites for a moment or two and cut corners. In cityscapes, among big hills and under dense trees, the GPS signal can be especially flaky. If it drops signal and cuts corners, this will lead to the device reading a shorter course.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

A Garmin should almost always measure longer than a race course.
                      GPS devices can drop the satellites for a moment or two and cut corners. In cityscapes, among big hills and under dense trees, the GPS signal can be especially flaky. If it drops signal and cuts corners, this will lead to the device reading a shorter course.
                      Hence "almost". Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just Be

Plus if it drops your signal in a city situation and you're running on a straight block in a perfectly straight line and you didn't turn between where it lost you and where it picked you up again, your distance will still be accurate. Evil grin
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, well if you drop your Garmin on the out, and pick it up on the back, it'll measure short. And I suppose if you run though a multi-dimensional wormhole that instantaneously teleports you to the finish line, then you'll end up measuring short. Any other wise-asses out there not understand "almost"? Wink

Great job, David! I only count race times as PRs ... and really, with the adreneline pumping on race day, I bet you'll have an even FASTER time! .... I say: go register for a race! now! Smile go!
                            2009: BQ?
                            obsessor

yes, if on a certified course or a track with at least one witness and accurate timing. (those are my rules.)
                              obiebyke

I would only count races, myself. Momentary hijack. Hey jeffgoblue-- I've always wondered that about tracks without lanes (i.e. my local lovely dirt track). Is that true, that the 1/4 mile is measured from the very inside line all the way around?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)