Swimming (Read 2098 times)

I've decided to put swimming into my exercise program. We just joined a local club that was the old YWCA. I went this morning for the first time. I plan to swim at least once a week to prepare for some triathlons next year. It's a harder than I remember. When I was young, I was on the swim team and fairly good. It's been over 20 years since I swam laps.
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      I agree. I find swimming to be very difficult when I first get back into it. You'll find that will go away quickly-you'll find your form and it will be easy again! Have you done a triathlon before? I'm also going to try one next year. Have been swimming for a while, but only recently added biking.
        I swam competitively in high school and for recreation in college and I really miss it! You're right --- it is REALLY hard to get back into, even if you are in great shape! Build up slowly and enjoy it Smile
        2009: BQ?

Sandi Sue

If you want to improve your stroke and work with a great group of folks, find your local Master's swimming group. You will learn how to do drills and techniques that will really improve your swim times in a triathlon.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I haven't done a triathlon yet. I'm going to sign up for one that's at the end of July. I have a friend in town that does them. I'll need to approach swimming like my running. Start slowly and build patiently.
            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

shonan marathon, girl

I recommend that all runners who are able to swim to use swimming as their cross training. You can keep swimming until you are very old, but running is difficult. Take your time and be patient with improving your swim. Swimming is the BEST! Triathlons are a blast. Good luck!

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Go Pre!

I am swimming now, and plan to a lot as i do not want to train for the next marathon with ITBS nagging me. So, my current dilema is feeling like I am not getting a workout from swimming. I have been doing 30 minutes, mostly front crawl and breast stroke. I check my heartrate occasionally and it appears to not be elevating. I guess I could try to go faster but I get arm fatigue. Any suggestions for getting a more aerobic workout?

Sandi Sue

Grab a kickboard and try some just kicking laps, no arm strokes. Start with 25 yards slow, 25 yards fast. If your arms are getting tired when you speed up, your stroke turn over is too fast. Try looking up some swimming stroke drills on google. You can get a great workout swimming, however don't count on burning the same amount of calories that you burn while running. Try this website for freestyle drills http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/Freestyl_Drills.htm. I think it also contains some backstroke, breast stroke and butterfly drills. Does your community have a master's swimming group. That's the best way to learn how to swim more effectively. I use swimming as a great cross training break from running. It's also great if you ever want to compete in a triathlon.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

The voice of mile 18

I am swimming now, and plan to a lot as i do not want to train for the next marathon with ITBS nagging me. So, my current dilema is feeling like I am not getting a workout from swimming. I have been doing 30 minutes, mostly front crawl and breast stroke. I check my heartrate occasionally and it appears to not be elevating. I guess I could try to go faster but I get arm fatigue. Any suggestions for getting a more aerobic workout?
                    did you know your max HR for swimming is lower than your max HR for running? because cycling and swimming are not weight bearing exercise typically the max HR for swimming and biking is around 10bpm lower than your running max HR

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'd suggest going for more than 30 mins. I also like the kickboard idea-I do quite a bit of kicking work. But if you're replacing running, you'll need more than 30 mins. 30 minutes is a good supplement volume, at least for me-really helps me stretch out.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Any suggestions for getting a more aerobic workout?
                        I recently went to a cross-training seminar at my local running store, and they strongly recommended pool running over swimming -- better workout, and it mimics running much more than regular swimming. Any thoughts from the runner formerly known as Pool Runner?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Any thoughts from the runner formerly known as Pool Runner?
                          Have you ever tried running in the pool? It aint easy dude.

Vim

shonan marathon, girl

At my triathlon swim lessons on Wednesday nights we swim for about 1:15:00. Look at my log. We start with 200m warm up, then drills such as kicking, sculling, sidekicks, catch up etc - our coach makes us do kicking without using kick board which is not easy, more aerobic i think. Then usually we do 50m x 4, then laps of 100m or longer or more for endurance and our main set. Our total work out is about 2,000 to 2,300m. We are fortunate to be swimming at a 50m pool so it is a different workout than swimming in a 25m pool. I think joining a masters swim class is the way to go. Great way to meet new people and it is easier to swim a tough menu when you are in a group than alone. Maybe I am different, but I find that if I burn plenty of calories from swimming. The next day after swimming my weight always drops and I am starved in the morning. Plus if you swim and run I think you have a more perfectly balanced body because your legs and arms are getting plenty of exercise. I am going to keep telling all runners to learn how to swim now. You can swim pretty much no matter how old you get, but the chances of being able to run at 85 years old and older isn't so likely.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Go Pre!

I am looking into Masters swim classes. I have a busy sked already, and was hoping to join this Yoga for Runners class as well. My wife asked me this morning, which I had a hard time answering...What the hell did we do to pass all that time before we ran???

shonan marathon, girl

I think yoga is excellent for keeping yourself limber and preventing running injuries. It will help ITBS. Also ITBS pain is usually generated from another place in your body, not the knee itself. I went thru ITBS. My problem was my running form. My upper body was not aligned with my lower. I was slightly slouching when I ran and heel striking/toeing off, not hitting the ground with my midfoot. The more distance I ran the worse it got. I had to re-learn correct posture, how to walk, run and change my form. I found out that my left hip joint is very tight which generated my knee problem as well. Everyone runs a different way, so correcting and retraining yourself isn't easy. I am sure that everyone here at RA has had issues with their body the more mileage they run. It takes time to figure out what is wrong with your running or what to change. This is why I keep telling everyone to swim, bike and find something else to supplement their running when they get injured or have to rest.