Classical Music (Read 649 times)

Revenge of the Nerd

I would be remiss not to mention Gustav Holst's The Planets.  Like many, my favorites include the familiar 5/4 hammerblows of Mars (the Bringer of War) and the stately processional of Jupiter (the Bringer of Jollity).

As for a favorite composer, mine is Bach.  After reading this thread I listened to The Art of Fugue while on the TM.  Although there is some controversy as to its origin, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is our soundtrack to Halloween pumpkin carving.

If it ain't Baroque...

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

I love that harpsichord.  Wow!!!

Myself, I am a guitarist who has just switched to violin.

And I am smiiten with the thing... So expressive.

I love everything Bach.

And my current other favourite is Heifetz's transcription of  the Prokofiev March.

Wow.  So, like go from Baroque all the way to Contemporary in one shot.  Forget about that Classical and Romantic stuff.

Jeff

Jeff

Prokofiev, Debussey, Shostakovich, Satie and Arvo Part. And definitely yes to Bach and Beethoven.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Brahms are among my favorites.  Big ups to the guy who mentioned The Planets.  My all-time favorite pieces that I've played are Sibelius Symphony #2, Beethoven Symphony #9, and The Ride.

Well played on the PDQ Bach mention.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would be remiss not to mention Gustav Holst's The Planets.  Like many, my favorites include the familiar 5/4 hammerblows of Mars (the Bringer of War) and the stately processional of Jupiter (the Bringer of Jollity).

As for a favorite composer, mine is Bach.  After reading this thread I listened to The Art of Fugue while on the TM.  Although there is some controversy as to its origin, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is our soundtrack to Halloween pumpkin carving.

If it ain't Baroque...

Good choices.  Having played horn on The Planets, I can say that it's awesome from the inside, and there is no piece quite like it.  As for Bach, well, pretty much any composer must bow before him.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Harpischord is actually why I can't listen to Baroque music.  It grates on my nerves for some reason.  But, I play sax and people say the same thing about the sound of saxes so I don't have much room to talk I supposed.

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

Tchaikovsky definitely! I'm mostly partial to the nutcracker, but maybe that's because it is almost Christmas. but I love him all year round. also my favorite to play on the piano is Chopin, but it isn't as interesting to listen to.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

Harpischord is actually why I can't listen to Baroque music.  It grates on my nerves for some reason.  But, I play sax and people say the same thing about the sound of saxes so I don't have much room to talk I supposed.

Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Jackie McClean, Paul Desmond, Stan Getz,Frank Morgan.....etc......etc.......

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If it ain't Baroque...

We played "Mars" as the opener to our halftime show this year.  The kids of course had never heard of it previously, but they fell in love pretty quickly!

The meter wasn't the "hard part" for them, as I anticipated, it was the dense harmonies.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

We played "Mars" as the opener to our halftime show this year.  The kids of course had never heard of it previously, but they fell in love pretty quickly!

The meter wasn't the "hard part" for them, as I anticipated, it was the dense harmonies.

Odd meters like 5/4, 7/4, etc. are no big deal if the band is floating from set to set.  Trying to do them anything 8-to-5 based starts to get pretty tricky.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I run with 5 count earworms.  My breathing pattern is inhale 3 steps, exhale 2.  I may try running to the Planets/Mars.  BTW, Venus was beautiful rising with the moon a couple of mornings ago.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Odd meters like 5/4, 7/4, etc. are no big deal if the band is floating from set to set.  Trying to do them anything 8-to-5 based starts to get pretty tricky.

It was a question of which foot they're stepping off with for the different sets.

Set 1 - stepoff w/left foot, go 15 steps

Set 2 - stepoff w/left foot, go 25 steps

Set 3 - stepoff w/left foot, go 30 steps

Set 4 - stepoff w/right foot, go 15 steps

Set 5 - stepoff w/left foot, etc....

Like I say, they handled it better than I thought, it just took more thought as we learned drill than it would have if it had been a duple meter.

MTA: Probably helped that we marched "Moonlight Sonata" last year.

You a band director?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You a band director?

No, just a college marching band geek that's been in recovery for the last 20 years.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Oh...I'm sorry, I had no idea.

Don't worry, many college band members have gone on to live very...very fulfilling lives.