Hi everyone...newbie here (Read 1058 times)

I second that! I may have given birth to over 11lbs worht of babies , but there were 2 not one and I ended up having a c-section.
    I'll go out on a limb here and say...if you can do that, you can run a hundred miler! Lynn B

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

somewhat unrelated to running/racing...if there are any places i would leave Hawaii for...Aotearoa is one of them..awesome people, awesome country, awesome surf...if only the ocean is warmer.. Where are you located Claire ? I spent a few weeks driving around the North Island studying volcanic deposits from Mt. Tarawera... p.s. for the guys who is feeling left out with all these if i can give birth i can do anything motivation...if you can endure the whole labor and birth process (without pain relief) you can also do anything, just not nearly as well as your better half Big grin

Now that was a bath...

Lynn - I've read a few of your posts on my lurk-fest. Kudos to you for terrifying me. Since when was running 100+ miles within the realms of normality. Total respect! I guess if you were female - you'd probaly birth during a race whilst pausing only momentarily to lick the child clean and throw it in a backpack for the rest of the race. What would be a good pace for crowning I wonder? Actually - I also gave birth to an 10lb 12oz baby at the side of the road, outside a mobile phone shop on a rather busy London roundabout. Maybe i'm an ultra-birther. Ok, that's a slight exagerration. I was in an ambulance - that screeched to a halt at the side of the road outside a mobile phone shop. Men should birth to. then we women could stop whinging about it Wink rockenmamof5 - what an amazing physique!!!! You are in great shape girl. Thanks for the tips, I am trying to learn as much as possible at the moment and it's been great finding this site. phat-runner - I'm in Papatoetoe (pronounced papa toy e toy e) it's in South Auckland. My aim is to one day end up in Mount Whanganui - the cutest darn little surf town with a fab beach that wraps around the base of an old volcano. I am so glad I married a Kiwi! London was a smelly place. Much nicer here! Maybe some of you can pop over here and run the October 2007 Marathon with me, lol. Lynn probably won't need to fly. He can run here and say Hi, then run home again. Goota run (not literally), my doctor's appointment is beckoning. Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

Well the doctor's appointment went great. She checked my blood pressure - totally normal, my BMI was 23 (I was shocked that I have actually creeped up in weight to 150lbs!). Doc says she would like to see me maintain that weight as it is the low point of normal for 5ft 10 - just to replace some of my body fat with muscle. I had every blood test known to mankind - liver, thyroid, FBC, platelet etc. that was amusing because I don't have any veins left after all the ITP testing. After a few pokes they gave up and pricked my fingers instead. It's hard to type with plasters on your finger tips! Doc said that the ITP shouldn't be an issue. They will increase my platelet tests to keep an eye on me. She said the one risk will be that if all the high impact exercise causes my liver to bleed and I am not clotting properly. Apparently there is a good chance that running will improve my condition. Two weeks ago I had surgery on my hand after a fight with a Pheonix palm and the ensuing infection caused my platelet levels to soar. Doc said that running could have the same affect. Putting my body through trauma might be a catalyst to make my body produce more platelets. That's great news. I am totally happy that the Doc is behind my running. Better go, I've got a teenage daughter to kill...I mean talk to. Claire xxx

Prophet!

yay for the running clearance.
            My aim is to one day end up in Mount Whanganui - the cutest darn little surf town with a fab beach that wraps around the base of an old volcano. Claire xxx
            i've gone through Papatoetoe...did you mean Mt. Maunganui near Tauranga ? or is Whaunganui the local way of spelling it ? If so I've been there. Its a neat little town. Its nice that you get surf on one side and a nice protected bay on the other side for calmer water sports... I also paddled outrigger canoes and saw bunch of them down there. I'd like to buy a house there someday. aloha steve

Now that was a bath...

LOL - yes I meant Maunganu (I still have problems with the place names here, i'll defer to you more often!) - I have relatives in Tauranga, nice but a bit suburban. Papatoetoe is a peculiar little place. We have an unusually large amount of lady boy prostitutes and hip hop is the language of choice. We live here because my elderly father in law is here. My soul however is elsewhere. Claire xxx
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just wanted to post an introduction as I have been lurking on your forum, trying to get some tips. I recently decided to run the Auckland Marathon next October and I am trying to gather as much information and knowledge as possible between now & then. I am running in my first race (a quarter marathon) in January, the 'Wharf2Wharf' - Waiheke Island Fun Run, here in New Zealand. I am only going to do the 12k race is it is a particularly difficult and hilly course and I am a complete novice to racing. I am 35, a mother of four and a passionate runner. I run every day at the moment (get up to run at 5am befoe the kids get up) and have a ten week schedule to the first race which starts this week. I am looking at doing a second quarter marathon in March, followed by a half marathon in July - which should incorporate into my Marathon training. I have a few questions for you all! *What shoes are you running in? *Women - have you had any issues training alone? *What sort of distances will I be running when I will need to take fluids with me on the run? (currently I only run 5-8km a day and I manage by drinking before and after the run) *Any tips? I look forward to learning from you all! Claire xxx
                Thus the madness began...
                JakeKnight

Thus the madness began...
                  Obviously excessive wine causes fits of nostalgia.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------