Cherry Blossom 10 miler 2016 (Read 248 times)

Julia1971

I ran today, too!

Despite the cold wind I still enjoyed myself, just remembered to relax and speed up whenever I saw the sun in the East.

It's too bad the blossoms were mostly blown away; this was my first time running, so I am not sure what it looks like most years. Luckily I  am local so I had a chance to enjoy the blossoms in March. Even without the blossoms the Cherry Blossom course was still very scenic!

I finished around 1:21, which was a surprise new 10 miler PR for me over the Army 10 miler last Fall despite the winds and crowds. Next goal is break 1:20!

Congratulations!  I've run at least eight CB10Ms at this point and don't remember a lot of races where the blossoms have been in full bloom.  But, it's a beautiful city to race around...  Good luck breaking 1:20!  Maybe at this year's ATM?

Congratulations!  I've run at least eight CB10Ms at this point and don't remember a lot of races where the blossoms have been in full bloom.  But, it's a beautiful city to race around...  Good luck breaking 1:20!  Maybe at this year's ATM?

That's the goal! Or sooner if I can find another 10 miler I want to do (GW Classic might be too tight a turnaround)!

Congrats on your finish as well. Sounds like 1:13 isn't a PR for you, but a very respectable finish nevertheless, especially with today's conditions and coming off an injury!

kilkee

runktrun

Nice work!  I ran too and I think that was the windiest race I've completed.  I was out in the front and was running by myself quite a bit.  I'm not as fit as I was in 2014, but for comparison, I ran 3mins slower but placed 10 places higher and snagged 10th American.  That's some wind!  And Meb finished 30 second and about 4 people behind me and I had no idea!! I could have slowed down and run with him across the line!! Waaaa!  But I talked to him after the race and he even took the time to sign my singlet Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Julia1971

I posted a race report on my blog.

BetsyG, Good luck at the Army Ten Miler!  Is the GW Classic sold out?  I feel like that's a popular race even though it's one I've never done.

Kilkee, Congrats on the great placing in such a competitive race!  It must have been rough running by yourself.  Cool that you finished so close to Meb.  I would think the crowd was probably going wild.  How did he end up signing your bib?  Does he just carry a pen around all the time.  Wink

onefatchick

Loved the race report Julia!   "It's just wind." ... I'll remember that

Wow Kilkee!!  Congratulations on the great placing!

BetsyG Congratulations on your PR!  And that you managed to have fun while doing it!!

kilkee

runktrun

Thanks!

Ha, he actually did have a Sharpie in his pocket.  I packed one too, knowing that I would likely see him in the elite tent before or after the race, and when I whipped out my sharpie after the race, he already had one :P

runlikeagirI

Were you at the elite/VIP dinner with Meb & Joanie the night before the race? They rode up the elevator with me after, lol! That was pretty cool.

Thanks!

Ha, he actually did have a Sharpie in his pocket.  I packed one too, knowing that I would likely see him in the elite tent before or after the race, and when I whipped out my sharpie after the race, he already had one :P

kilkee

runktrun

Aaaah, so cool!  No, I was staying with my brother up in Petworth and didn't bother to take the metro down.

Were you at the elite/VIP dinner with Meb & Joanie the night before the race? They rode up the elevator with me after, lol! That was pretty cool.

Julia1971

OFC, Glad you enjoyed it.  Smile  I'll take wind over freezing rain or heat + humidity any race day.

Kilkee, LOL! that he does actually carry a Sharpie with him.  Cool that you got him to sign your bib.

RLAG, I need to try harder to find the hotels where the elites stay.  I think I shared a hotel elevator with Ryan Hall at 2013 NYCM.  I was trying to be cool so I didn't ask but I'm 99% sure it was him.

runlikeagirI

I stayed at the Renaissance Downtown which was the host hotel for the race.  That's also where they held the dinner the night before, I think a post-race brunch as well, etc.

RLAG, I need to try harder to find the hotels where the elites stay.  I think I shared a hotel elevator with Ryan Hall at 2013 NYCM.  I was trying to be cool so I didn't ask but I'm 99% sure it was him.

I look my best blurry!

Wow! Impressive!!! Sounds like you all had a great race regardless of the wind! 10th American!  Very cool.  I was the 7th old lady in the age group that I am days away from moving out of.  Good enough.  It was by far not the windiest race I've run.  Ocean Drive Marathon 2 weeks ago was much much worse.  And Boston last year was windy, rainy and cold.  That was worse too.  Anyway, I loved the race and the course.  I was in the seeded coral which was an honor but only for about 2 seconds before the start because I didn't feel worthy. The people waiting in there looked too fast for me!  I looked and looked and didn't see Meb and was bummed about that.  Once I got into a grove though, I had a great time.  I was passed by and ran with Joan for about 3 min in the middle of the race, which was really cool. I had a nice even race the whole way.  I just went with the flow and was grateful for the sunshine.