Running after blood donation? (Read 2794 times)

I will mention that I did a double donation of red blood cells last week and every run since has been a miserable experience. I went back in my training log and realized the times I have been most fatigued have come when I do a donation like this. http://www.bloodcenters.org/donating/double_redcells.htm I did some reading up, and it seems it will take 3 weeks before the red blood cells get back to "normal" level. I want my red blood cells back, I have a Marathon coming up.. ugh. I shoulda waited til after.

Member, Tangerine Meat Gloss Running Team

Lane

I'm surprised none of you mentioned donating certain products from your blood. I regularly donate plateletes, and have never felt flat, tired, or had to miss a run. In fact, it's the only type of donation I give. The downside to donating specific blood products is it takes much longer. Your blood is drawn into a machine with a centrifuge. The blood is "spun" which separates the individual products, then what's not needed is returned to you. Yep, returned through the same needle! They do give you some fluids in addition to your own blood back. This whole process takes up to 2 hours, where as before I gave plateletes, I could bleed out a pint or two of whole blood AND be sucking down a half dozen cookies in 25 minutes. I'm not an expert in how all of this works, but I do know how I feel afterwards, which is the same as when I arrived. Another difference in the two is how quickly one can donate again. The period between donations of whole blood is 8 weeks. The period with plateletes is 3 days! Yea, this isn't for the casual donor! One of the reasons I give is because not everyone can.
      You probably feel fine because you don't give anything that affects running performance; they return all of your red blood cells and give you all the fluid back. Now if this were a thread about blood donation and then how long you bleed after being cut, then it'd be a different story. Regular donors would be fine to cut themselves while shaving, though you would have a lot harder time stopping the bleeding.
        I am a regular donor who has trouble keeping my iron high enough to give. I am also fairly small, so personally I don't run after I donate. I have no problem doing it the day after (although I do feel sluggish at times) but I always heed the "no exercise or heavy lifting for the rest of the day" advice because I like to not pass out. It isn't really a problem for me; I just make sure I run earlier in the day if I am not due for a day off. If you can, running before you donate actually can improve your circulation so you're in better shape to lose a pint of your blood. Just my two cents Smile
          I actually had the low-iron issue twice prior to giving blood and got turned away. I now know to eat some of the following foods a day or two before my donation: dried fruit, nuts, leafy green vegetables and/or beef - to raise my iron levels. I have not had any problems since. So...start eating trail mix and spinach salad a day or two before you donation and try again! Big grin
            Answers to your Q's: 1. Donating platelets should not impact any kind of running performance. Platelets are used in blood clotting, so unless you massively cut yourself after donating, you won't have any side effects from this kind of donations 2. Double-donations - this is when a super concentrated of blood (instead of the usual 1 -pinter) is collected. the machine will separate red cells from plasma and then return your plasma. your are most likely DEFINTELY going to feel wiped after this one. Not only are you making a bigger than usual donation, but its purely your red cells, whereas a usual donation will take your RBCS AND plasma. YOur RBCS are what carries oxygen to all of your body so running or basicaly doing ANYTHING strenduous after this is really not recommened. I only did this once, doubt I will do it again, and it took me 2 days just to get back to myself. Iwasnt even running at that point so I dont know how that wouldve affected me. But I slept a long time in those 2 days!! 3. Good job BadDawg - I wouldve recommended NOT going out on your run, however, the measures you took before and during your run were PERFECT. Way to go!
            FastTalkingFatty

I will mention that I did a double donation of red blood cells last week and every run since has been a miserable experience. I went back in my training log and realized the times I have been most fatigued have come when I do a donation like this. http://www.bloodcenters.org/donating/double_redcells.htm I did some reading up, and it seems it will take 3 weeks before the red blood cells get back to "normal" level. I want my red blood cells back, I have a Marathon coming up.. ugh. I shoulda waited til after.
              So sorry coconut, I hope you can still run the marathon...

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

kcam

I donated a little blood the other day during my run Shocked Took a digger during an interval session going under an overpass - tripped over some dirt clods. Inadvertent blood donation (but I still got up and finished my interval and only lost 5 seconds - yeah baby!).

A Saucy Wench

dh nearly passed out trying to run after giving blood. I would wait a day. He usually takes the next day easy too..now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Just did this yesterday actually, 4K. Felt really bad about it, wouldn't recommend.

uncontrollable

Bottom line: less hemoglobin = less oxygen circulating through your body - hydration is great to replace lost volume but it does not replace blood components. Everyone is different & can respond differently. The only way to tell is to test it out yourself ... I just wouldn't do it close to a race that is important to you. You can modify a 'regular' run if you have to.

peace

I gave blood on Monday and just got back to running today and felt really faint after finishing. It just takes your body a little while to get your blood volume back up to par. I only did 2 miles, but I'm also coming back from an injury and have taken over a week off... so part of it may have been due to that. Anyone who gives blood regularly is pretty awesome in my book, and though I wouldn't do it before an important race, taking it easy for a day or couple of days is a small price to pay for the good feeling you get from giving Smile