Are you doing the full 3? (Read 382 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

OMG, this was a new one on me. I'm a back-o-the-packer, and during my last 5K, a young woman approaches me during the run. She asks me, "Are you doing the full 3? I want to know because I signed up for the walk but I want to do the full 3." I blink a few times, realize she means all 3 miles of the race *ahem* and politely tell her that yes I'm planning on doing the full 3. Roll eyes FWIW, the race course was long... closer to 5.5K. She definitely got her full 3 miles in! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

mikeymike

Were there rides back to the start/finish for those doing less than the full 3? Yeah that's a new one...

Runners run

I'm pretty sure that would have caught me off guard too, I probably woulda had the deer in the headlights look. My first official race was a two miler, and I was concerned about the distance. Three would have seemed like a marathon. I didn't know about the wonderful advice to be had on RA, so I was a complete and total bliss ninny. Did you give her your RA business card? We'll have her running the full 6.2 in no time.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My embarrassing story is that one of the first races I entered was a 1-miler in our town. I was just proud of myself for being able to run that far, and it never dawned on me that most people running it would basically be sprinting the entire way! Of course, I was way behind everyone else, and finished 117th out of 118 people (I beat a 6-year-old whose father was literally dragging him most of the way). At the end, all of these people I KNEW were cheering me on. Blush I'll never forget that.