Help me decide between the 205 and the 305 (Read 751 times)

mikeymike

Only an elite runner can train by effort? Criminy. mta: I guess I vote 205, since I own one. I use it sparingly but it's nice for doing workouts on the roads or for ad-libbing routes and still knowing how far you went.

Runners run

Dave

We ran 9:00/miles and his heart rate ballooned to 185 bpm in the first 5 minutes. That means that either he was running way too fast when he thought he was running easy or that he's a liar.
      Or the strap was too loose and he wasn't a good reading. Or it was an especially hot day. Or he couldn't judge his pace too well. Or he has an exceptionally high max heart rate. Or..... Good grief. I use a monitor and you just about talked me out of it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I got the 305 because it was only $7 more than the 205 after rebate (as w/zoomie) I use the HRM now and again, but not overly often. I'm considering getting a 205 for my wife, though, so then we'll have one of each. Big grin

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Insert witty title here

I ordered a 205 last night. With Amazon's free super saver shipping it should be here in time for Christmas!!

ThomasRuns Blog
          Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have a 305. I use the HRM daily, mainly as a means to keep myself from going too fast on easy runs. This is one of the better uses for heart rate. As an engineer, I almost hate to ignore any potential source of data. Two other things to consider that might steer you towards the 305. If you... 1) ...run indoors a lot (especially an indoor track) 2) ...plan on using the 305 as a biking computer ..you should get the 305. Why? Accessories. Garmin makes an accelerometer-based footpod that you can use with the 305 when it can't see satellites. I often run on a nearby indoor track , and at 12-laps to the mile, counting laps can get tedious in a hurry. With the footpod, no worries -- distance is tracked (as well as turnover, Scout) just like outdoors. There's also a biking accessory that can be used for cadence monitoring while biking (when cadence is actually a bit more meaningful). Neither of the above accessories is available for the 205 because it lacks wireless communication (like the kind used with the HRM). Food for thought.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

Wait. The footpad will track Scout? Damn, that's cool. Unless you're Scout, I suppose.