Favorite Marathon Workout? (Read 961 times)

Just curious what your favorite marathon workout is.

Last week I did a long interval session that is a mix of easy, tempo, and marathon pace running. I have done it once or twice before and have decided it is my favorite (though really hard) workout. Here it is:

• Warmup (1 mile+)
    • 20 min @ MP
    • 2 x 10 min Tempo
    • 15 min easy
    • 2 x 10 min Twmpo
    • 40 min @ MP

(2 min rests between intervals)

My last big workout before my goal race is probably going to be 10 easy followed by 10 @ MP. I hear that is a classic, but I haven't tried it yet.

What about you? Any favorites?

--

Nashville, TN

Here's my favorite workout (see attached for map):

2 Mile Warm-Up

6x Hills (steady pace a bit slower than MP up, 5k pace around the top, recovery down)

2 Mile Cool-Down

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/37042b4aefd24d4f91c6949a626dbaf7/workouts/302e5a8ab14648e1b5f7fc305442961c/map

I guess I'd call it a Hills and 200s workout, but I've never followed a marathon training plan so I'm not sure if you would call it a marathon workout.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Michigan" style workout: 
        1mi @ HMP 
        1,000m @ HMP-MP 
        1200 @ 10mi 
        1,000m @ HMP-MP 
        800 @ 10k 
        1,000m @ HMP-MP 
        400 @ 5k

But, if I were doing this on my own, I'd probably also do the ladder back up.

Or just 10x800m @ 10K->5Kpace.  Nice and simple.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

Just curious what your favorite marathon workout is.

A good confidence building tune up race.

2 mi warmup,

1 x 13.1 mi @ HMP

2 mi cooldown.

Runners run

runwietecha

2-3 mile warm-up, 4x5k a little faster than MP with 1000m steady jog recovery, and if you're feeling froggy, take another 1000m recovery jog after your last 5k and then do 1000m nearly all-out, 2-3 miles cool-down.

2-3 warm-up, 10-12 miles of 1000m or 800m of on/off, with the "on" being about 10-15s faster than MP and the "off" being 10-15s slower, 2-3 cool down.

joescott

2 mi warmup,

1 x 13.1 mi @ HMP

2 mi cooldown.

Smile  This would appear to be what I call a race.  Actually, I plan on doing this particular marathon workout here in a couple of weeks.  I'll let you know if I think it is my favorite, too.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Smile  This would appear to be what I call a race.  Actually, I plan on doing this particular marathon workout here in a couple of weeks.  I'll let you know if I think it is my favorite, too.

Yep, something tells me you are going to crush that marathon workout in a couple of weeks.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I'm a fan of the 60-90 minute easy run. Lots and lots of them.

warmup, 10 at MP (starting at a little slower than MP, down to a little faster), cooldown.  I am actually not a cooldown kind of guy, but hey. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ymmv

2 mi warmup,

1 x 13.1 mi @ HMP

2 mi cooldown.

The day before the marathon? That's just Goofy.

jeffdonahue

Now, would that be 60-90 minutes for everybody, or just for you.  Only ask because by your log, your long runs are at about a 7:00 pace, while others may run 9-10:00 pace.  So that means for you 60-90 minutes woudl be 8.5-13 miles long, but for slower runners that may be only 6-9 miles long.

Queen of 3rd Place

What exactly is this? 

I really like HM races in general, but I sure wish there were slightly longer races around, 15 or 16 mi would be perfect.

Ex runner

xor

Some of you have more complicated workouts than others of you.

Now, would that be 60-90 minutes for everybody, or just for you.  Only ask because by your log, your long runs are at about a 7:00 pace, while others may run 9-10:00 pace.  So that means for you 60-90 minutes woudl be 8.5-13 miles long, but for slower runners that may be only 6-9 miles long.

I'm not Jeff but he means for everybody. And he's talking about easy runs, not long runs.

What Jeff is saying (and I agree with) is that the changes you need to make to your body in order to run a better marathon can only be made a little bit at a time, and that very frequent 60 to 90 minute runs are the best way to make those changes. This is nothing revolutionary or unconventional, by the way. It's bread and butter.

Runners run