Bleeding Nipples (male) (warning - picture with bloodied shirt included in post) (Read 1781 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

This is why runners don't wear shirts.

ditto.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Menace to Sobriety

Geebus help you!

I use the paper type medical tape. I stays on through most conditions, and doesn't hurt to take off. I had to experiment a little with how long of a piece to use and vertical orientation of the longer dimension stays on better. I get mine at Target or CVS, it comes 2 rolls to a pack and they'll last 6 months or more running 5-7 days per week.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

This is why runners don't wear shirts.

Actually, according to "studies", wearing a properly made tech tee (ha-ha) wicking shirt, when it's hot, will be cooler to an individual than running with no shirt at all.

And no, I don't have any real cites to these "studies".  They are things I read years ago, and I'm not about to look them up.

Mainly because I always wear a shirt, and others don't.  And neither of us is going to change.  Plus I like to spew out ridiculous, unsubstantiated anecdotes.

Jeff

Why is it sideways?

Actually, according to "studies", wearing a properly made tech tee (ha-ha) wicking shirt, when it's hot, will be cooler to an individual than running with no shirt at all.

And no, I don't have any real cites to these "studies".  They are things I read years ago, and I'm not about to look them up.

Mainly because I always wear a shirt, and others don't.  And neither of us is going to change.  Plus I like to spew out ridiculous, unsubstantiated anecdotes.

I have read these studies, and because of them I tried running in a variety of technical fabrics. Nope, they are not cooler. Maybe they are in some other part of the country where running in the summer doesn't immediately soak everything in sight. Or maybe these studies had some funding from the tech fabric peeps. Not to be cynical.

But I will modify my original statement somewhat to read: "An easy solution to your problem is not to wear a shirt. You will find going shirtless is common among the running community."

I am not dogmatic. I will run with a shirt on. But there are really few feelings more glorious than running shirtless with some skimpy shorts across hot summer pavement in the middle of rush hour traffic. Purely anecdotal, of course.

Imminent Catastrophe

Medipore tape. I've used it in a lot of ultras and it's never come off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

duct tape Joking

for me, the nipple-bleed pattern on the left looks like a side-on view of a woman wearing a cocktail dress who's got a bushy hairdo.  the one on the right  is theneck and head of a phoenix on a sharp descent.

yuck 

no? oh...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Big grin I agree on all counts.

I am not dogmatic. I will run with a shirt on. But there are really few feelings more glorious than running shirtless with some skimpy shorts across hot summer pavement in the middle of rush hour traffic. Purely anecdotal, of course.

Big grin  Amen.

Though I am somewhat more prejudicial towards shirtless running; I am following this post since I have my first marathon coming up in fall - so will need to be aware of all strategies involving this painful issue. .  But you gotta love anecdotes and anecdotal evidence.Wink 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have read these studies, and because of them I tried running in a variety of technical fabrics. Nope, they are not cooler. Maybe they are in some other part of the country where running in the summer doesn't immediately soak everything in sight. Or maybe these studies had some funding from the tech fabric peeps. Not to be cynical.

But I will modify my original statement somewhat to read: "An easy solution to your problem is not to wear a shirt. You will find going shirtless is common among the running community."

Title IX requires men to wear a shirt, or at least a sports bra.

Hairy jiggling is illegal in 47 states.  I have a record.  

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Until recently, I had longer hair and doing the above gave me a distinct 70s vibe that made each run like trip through time.  Now, if I could only find mid-calf tube-socks (preferably non-cotton), I would be right in the groove.  Maybe a terrycloth headband.

Very liberating in a counter-culture sorta way.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I'll agree, these studies may have been done by shirt manufacturers.  I do like, however, that you actually tried running with a shirt on to see if that was better!  Kudos for you and your research.

But there is another issue. At least as far as I'm concerned.  Modesty.  And I really don't like going shirtless. Especially now, when I have one big honkin' gut hanging out with the man-boobs floppin all round. 

And, also, going shirtless isn't really an option in the late fall, winter, and early spring, when it's raining, and the bleeding is in full force.

Jeff

Big grin I agree on all counts.

Big grin  Amen.

Though I am somewhat more prejudicial towards shirtless running; I am following this post since I have my first marathon coming up in fall - so will need to be aware of all strategies involving this painful issue. .  But you gotta love anecdotes and anecdotal evidence.Wink 

It really all depends on the day, and you.

If you're proned to bleeding, it's something you need to be concerned about.  If it's raining...it's something you need to be concerned about.

As for me, I can't ever remember a day when it's been dry, that I've had an issue.  For me, it's always rainy days.

YMMV

Jeff

Title IX requires men to wear a shirt, or at least a sports bra.

OK.  That made me laugh.

Jeff

Until recently, I had longer hair and doing the above gave me a distinct 70s vibe that made each run like trip through time.  Now, if I could only find mid-calf tube-socks (preferably non-cotton), I would be right in the groove.  Maybe a terrycloth headband.

Very liberating in a counter-culture sorta way.

OMG.  At the gym last night, some woman came in wearing almost  knee-high tube socks.

And she was in her 20s.  Maybe that style is coming back! 

(I hope not....)

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

But there are really few feelings more glorious than running shirtless with some skimpy shorts across hot summer pavement in the middle of rush hour traffic. Purely anecdotal, of course.

I have no argument to this point, but in my case I just cannot subject the public to the sight of me running as you describe here.

Not at it at all.