So want to do 5k in 25 minutes (Read 691 times)

Gains will become exponential....but unfortunately exponentially less.

18 min 5kers probably run their first attempts at 5k between 25-30 mins while been out of shape and over weight.

I wish you well but first things first.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Just to add my two cents, think about sustainability. What can you consistently do for the next year? Sure, you can build up as you go, but it's gotta be day in day out. Numbers are just that, numbers. I assume you are doing all this activity for your health, and jumping around and pushing yourself in all sorts of directions to make yourself proud of your numbers has nothing to do with health. Relax and enjoy just being active.

npaden

flat out for 3 miles right now would be around 33 minutes or just under that figure  and I still have a few pounds to lose to get down to 60kg so gains will be expanential. In 14 months I will be closer to 18 minutes for 5k than 25... 

You would be well served to actually listen to the excellent advice given to you in this thread instead of being arrogant and thinking that somehow you are smarter than the guys with years of experience.

As an example, I started out fat and out of shape and my first 5k race was a 30:23 for a 9:46 avg pace back in November of 2010.  I started running more in 2011 and got fairly serious about it in 2012.  It took me 2 years and 3,000 miles logged to get to my current PR which is a 21:27 which is a whopping 3 seconds closer to an 18:00 5k than a 25:00 5k.

I did run under a 25:00 5k within a year after starting running fairly seriously but to get faster you need to really work at it.  AND you need to actually follow the advice that more experienced runners give you.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TheMysteryOne

You might find it helpful to run more than 6 miles per month.

Ya I been injured so took 2 weeks of just walking and swimming managing 4 miles a week for those 2 weeks but didn't log it here as it was walk not run. I done around 9 miles this week albeit 2.6 of those where a walk, did 5.2 miles today, 2.6 run 2.6 walk, only managed to time 2.1 of those 2.6 I ran due to messing up the timing on my phone when I crossed roads, did that in order to get the legs first used to just doing 5 miles before I try to run 5 miles when my tightness heals up further, I seem to be able to get some running in now without further hurting my leg so thats a good sign, going really slowly mostly trying to keep the leg in reasonable condition, so I can run more and so it heals up before the race.

TheMysteryOne

You would be well served to actually listen to the excellent advice given to you in this thread instead of being arrogant and thinking that somehow you are smarter than the guys with years of experience.

As an example, I started out fat and out of shape and my first 5k race was a 30:23 for a 9:46 avg pace back in November of 2010.  I started running more in 2011 and got fairly serious about it in 2012.  It took me 2 years and 3,000 miles logged to get to my current PR which is a 21:27 which is a whopping 3 seconds closer to an 18:00 5k than a 25:00 5k.

I did run under a 25:00 5k within a year after starting running fairly seriously but to get faster you need to really work at it.  AND you need to actually follow the advice that more experienced runners give you.

Blah Blah. Read what you wrote, but really this whole thread has mainly been dafties reading the word pb as if I was pushing hard when I did them. Only silly thing really was getting injured in a warm down but at that stage I had to reassure my self that I did not have lung disease as I had been unable to run for weeks due to the initial injury and had a letter from the doctor another thing you like many in this thread haven't read, I have now stated it three times . I did have a plan once I had got injuried but injury did not heal so had to write out another one, managed to basically stick to it this week in week 1 of my plan, though had to do only 9 miles this week instead of the 12-13 I had pencilled in as its crucial to build up fitness but not re injure my leg. Each pound I lose seems to exponentially boost my pace, and I am really running with a sore leg right now all the time but the key is its not quite injured and I think It feels like I am managing to now run a bit whilst the leg is healing slowly, sure its healing slower than if I left it alone for 3 weeks but my fitness is building up more now than if I did that and probably in around 3-4 weeks it will be less tight again. Every one is different, and I would probably be capable of 15 minute 5k easily after 18 months of running if I hadn't had to have blemoycin and radiotherapy to my chest but it seems my co2 diffusion is only down 25% at most from the average and the other variables in my lungs are above average, and that's without very much mileage. I have managed to avoid running sprints now but I could still do more steady running though I have managed to at least keep any bursts of pace/feeling stronger, I get in my legs on the treadmill or tarmac down to at most a hard run at a pace I can maintain for 30 secs to 40secs before slowing it back to a steady easy or slow run. Funnily enough I don't have such antagonism from the runners world community.
            TheMysteryOne

Just to add my two cents, think about sustainability. What can you consistently do for the next year? Sure, you can build up as you go, but it's gotta be day in day out. Numbers are just that, numbers. I assume you are doing all this activity for your health, and jumping around and pushing yourself in all sorts of directions to make yourself proud of your numbers has nothing to do with health. Relax and enjoy just being active.

Thanks for someone being friendly on here.

TheMysteryOne

Just finished 4 miles tempo run at 48.05 for the 4 miles, felt good so later on in gym did another 1m tempo at 9.47 for the mile.

TheMysteryOne

On thursday managed only 1.6 miles in 30 minutes as this time the left quad was injured but although bad on the day it felt like one that will heal quicker, on sunday managed to do a light jog out side up a 100ft or so hill course, took 41 minutes to do the 3.04 mile course, I was going at long run pace not easy run pace to protect my leg and leg feels quite good after this.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

What's up with your running, Mystery one? Not meant in a jack ass way at all. The key is consistency and Ive been checking your log to see how you're coming along. Keep getting out there and making it happen

tetesquid

ran 1 mile in 6 min flat!

kilkee

runktrun

Well it wont  as I said I can do pbs without even going tempo pace at the moment let alone race pace, flat out for 3 miles right now would be around 33 minutes or just under that figure  and I still have a few pounds to lose to get down to 60kg so gains will be expanential. In 14 months I will be closer to 18 minutes for 5k than 25... 

It took me over 3 years to break 18:00 for 5k.  And I was already running 20:00ish for 5k regularly.  Full disclosure: Female, 5'4", 115lbs, 50-80mpw.  Injured twice in last 5 years and only missed a total of 4 weeks of training.

Testing limits and blowing up every few weeks will get you nowhere.  You need to chill and try running 30minutes easy a few times a week to start.  Go outside.  Don't even track your mileage on the treadmill because you will "race" yourself and end up hurt.  Everyone is trying to give you good advice and guide you down a path of years of healthy running.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

TheMysteryOne

What's up with your running, Mystery one? Not meant in a jack ass way at all. The key is consistency and Ive been checking your log to see how you're coming along. Keep getting out there and making it happen

Got a bad injury swimming to fast which I was doing to "take it easy" as folk suggested as my legs weren't "right" for running didn't know you could aggravate quad strains and IT BAND/fascia pain (the one between the quad and IT BAND cant remember its name) through swimming to fast, so that is another thing I have learnt. Yes I know it takes time to build up now however with me the potential IS there  (my sprint speed seems to just get faster and faster but my endurance and ability to avoid injury is something I need to build up slowly) half the battle is now to follow a rehabilitation plan and adjust if too light or too severe for the state of my strains, takes a full 8 weeks to heal so I have had 4 but I will need to add in 2 weeks because of the race I ran today in EDINBURGH.

I managed to do the EDINBURGH 5k In a time of 39.27 which put me 1883 out of 2080 which is pretty shocking to be honest, however considering the lack of training I managed prior to this event it was a worry if my legs would hold out, in the end my legs and later on my lungs felt quite good but blasting past people at 13.4 mph on the downhill section soon caused my heart to cry no more giving me quite a fright the last 0.4 miles when it occurred was just jogging lightly (for me) passing people then having to stop cause of chest pain and a concerned martial who went round with me for the last 0.4 miles, kind of sucked as my legs and lungs had it in them to do 9mph for the flat 0.4.

The winner of the race did a 16.27 or something I believe, the reason it wasn't around the 15 minute mark for the winner was 2 fold, one its up a 500ft hill (150m so no exaggeration I looked it up, it seemed to go on forever), 2 the weather was freezing, hailstorms, side winds that where blowing much bigger and bulkier men over to the one side, at times the wind slowed a reasonable 5mph jog I was doing down to barely faster than a walk, a guy in front doing 7mph easy had the exact same thing so the wind was against you directly and it was absolutelty fierce, the hailstones where BRUTAL too.

I know I can do much better, pacing myself is my biggest problem (both going to hard or too conservatively it seems, I mean the fact when I go hard I ask my body to do it brutally for a long time at 190 bpm is a recipe for pain if you aren't used to it I guess) Its why I was locked in battle with a girl I was much quicker than in terms of jogging pace but just pushing a bit too hard meant I had to walk for a bit many times to get breath back then she would do similar but not quite as often and for a shorter distance thus it seemed to average out to constant passing and repassing. I did not know my heart would cry foul in such a spectacular way.

Its something I am going to have to get checked out, just in case,  as even here just now its a little tight although that's probably just the acid I am getting thankfully! I am not so fat at all lol 9st 9 my weight loss has levelled off since I stopped being able to train as hard still got 3-5lb to lose to get down to the weight I want, I am just going to cross train for the next 12-14 days inc rests of course and a lot of that cross training will be strength work specificially to build up the muscles in a manner that helps runners like calfs quads, real deltoids and trapeze muscle, specific ab exercises and some fun ab exercises that don't involve crunches cause of my lower back pain!

The worst I would have managed if my heart had keep going without discomfort would have been 38 minutes so about 1.30 quicker, and about the best I could have done would have been 36 minutes for 5k which would equal my previous pb of 35.55 for 3 miles on a treadmill indoors flat with no cold, side wind or head wind to slow you down or massive 500ft climb that saw even fast runners stopping to catch a breath many times. So I'd say if my heart hadn't said "NO", equalling your previous time on such a course really would have been like OBLITERATING it. I don't think many 5ks are as tough as this one, certainly not the next one I might do which is actually a 10k,  2 laps of Glasgow green, id expect at least one of the laps to be sub 30 minutes the other might be any where from 33-37 minutes.

At 2.7 miles I had took 33 minutes 30 and was averaging 0.1 miles in 50 seconds hence the guestimate of 36 minutes being about the best I could achieve and 38 minutes being the worst ( assuming average speed of only 6mph, boy did I have a second wind at this point in the race, every thing except my heart, I guess the descent, the cold and the very poor night sleep I had 2 days before the race though the night prior to the race was a good nights sleep, all took their tool as I felt like my stomach was totally sucked into myself as I descended in altitude and was pumping out as much as 13.4 mph and consistently around the 9-10mph mark for that short stretch and had more breath and life in my legs and was feeling strong then from no where it just came to me like a bolt, a sad bolt.

Another good sign I can go much quicker is that even when doing the last 0.4 at a really light pace and had to keep stopping due to chest tightness, not lack of puff, was that the pace I was trying to go light at, which felt natural to go slowly, was faster than the folk I was running with at the end where managing.

TheMysteryOne

It took me over 3 years to break 18:00 for 5k.  And I was already running 20:00ish for 5k regularly.  Full disclosure: Female, 5'4", 115lbs, 50-80mpw.  Injured twice in last 5 years and only missed a total of 4 weeks of training.

Testing limits and blowing up every few weeks will get you nowhere.  You need to chill and try running 30minutes easy a few times a week to start.  Go outside.  Don't even track your mileage on the treadmill because you will "race" yourself and end up hurt.  Everyone is trying to give you good advice and guide you down a path of years of healthy running.

Exactly. Which Is why I plan to only do 40% of my runs from now on at tempo pace or race pace or any "fast pace" in between "hell to the leather" and "tempo" and 60% at slow pace the problem is the running calculators just suggest a pace for slow pace that is far 2 slow for me to run at comfortably at slow pace, maybe I should just walk or just do what I think should be my slow pace until I am fit enough, good enough at running at one pace more or less, etc so that the times the running calcs say should be my slow pace should be about right and not WILDELY too fast or too slow respectively? Oh and in the mean time I plan to do 12-14 days of non running after my race today, then a light run in glasgow for a 2mi training run for great run local, target time 24-25 minutes (as that will be me taking it easy I figure) I have lost a bit of stamina it seems since the lack of training from injury during december but I seem faster over short distances than before, so a few weeks of elliptical and slow swimming should see me do all right.  My max heart rate is apparently 195 as registered today when I was belting down a hill BUT I actually think there is at least 1 or 2 more beats per minute in it,maybe. 220-26 predicts 194.  Apparently you need a max heart rate of 220 bpm to be a sub 15 minute 5k runner (assuming a flat not hilly course or a down hill course) I am 26 Male 5ft 3.33, 135lbs (so could lose 4-6lbs to be in ideal weight) 0 mpwk for last 4 weeks prior to that about 6 miles per week and had already got down to 35.55 as best for 3 miles on a treadmill, today I managed only 39.27 for 5k but it was freezing with massive side winds and head winds stopping much better runners than me down to a crawl at times through no lack of fitness on their part, it was -5 degrees, oh and it was up a 500ft hill that goes on for ever!

It is a bit harder for females to run 18 minute 5ks than men, sounds like you must have been close to your limits, I know I am still very far from mine so who knows how well I will respond to training, I am reading a book on x-training for runners, some male jerks much earlier on in thread says "which runner cross trains" said book details how to do it, when, how much, what exercises, things to balance, and general running tips, I am on chapter 2 at the moment, and said book names runners who won marathons set PBS via cross training guys who did better doing 40 miles a week plus a well structured cross training regime than when they where doing 50 miles a week running, because their joints where fresher for races, they had worked more improving strength of their legs and the cross discipline training had increased their aerobic capacity in different ways that just running more could not hit, this book mentions athletes who where competing at world class level.

TheMysteryOne

ran 1 mile in 6 min flat!

who did? Not me lol Thats next years goal hopefully. I think that's my bike time you looked at lol, which is also slower than reality as the bike in this gym for some reason is limited to a certain speed no matter which resistance level you use, haven't seen that in any other gyms I have ever been in, I am meaning to ask the staff if theirs a way I can HACK the bike to let it let me go at my actual speed lol.

No more marathons

Would love to run a 5K in Edinbburgh.

Maybe i can get over there sometime and help you with pacing.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!