Server space and GPS (Read 527 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Eric, It seems to me that the integration of GPS, with all the associated data, will take up a lot of space on your servers. Here's my question: If I'm lazy and just download every routine workout complete with GPS map, heart rate data, and all that, will that cost you a lot of server space? It seems like a waste of storage to have dozens of copies of my daily run, which are all the same after all. Or would it be better to just enter distance and time manually for those routine runs and only store all the GPS stuff for "special" runs? I don't want to waste your money!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

wyerock

Donate to eric and then you won't be wasting his money. Smile Which just reminded me I need to donate myself. If eric is compressing the data though, the raw tcx files get really small. I would imagine bandwidth is probably a bigger cost than storage space at this point.

Imminent Catastrophe

Donate to eric and then you won't be wasting his money. Smile Which just reminded me I need to donate myself.
        Have done. Will do again. Still, I just wonder if there's any reason to keep all those routine workouts.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

eric :)

Hi Russ, Thank you for your thoughtful post! Remember I switched to a new server 9 months ago because the old one couldn't handle the load anymore? The current server is quite beefy and can store hundreds of millions of GPS imported files (I did the math). If the server runs out of space (which would be a fantastic problem to have), I can always get more disk space. The server was paid for with everyone's donations so in a way, it's your money Smile I will run into bandwidth problems long before the server runs out of room so keep on uploading! eric :-)