Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

cpresson

Starting work from home Monday. Even though I'm basically grounded until June 9 (the day I get to ditch crutches--lol), at least the work will keep me somewhat sane Smile I asked the doc yesterday if I could do the stationary bike with no resistance and he said no. I'm only allowed to do PT until my next appointment on June 15. I really don't like restrictions--haha.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm so glad I had a laid back doc. If he said no to the bike with no resistance, I would have been non compliant and done it anyway. I am a terrible patient. lol

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

cpresson

I've been a borderline to non-compliant patient in the past; maybe he's talked to the other doc that's done my knee & shoulder surgeries--lol. I think it's his standard protocol though. He explained that he used to only require 2-3 weeks on crutches for labral repairs but started seeing a higher incidence of stress fractures, so he went to a more conservative protocol. I want to do whatever it takes to be able to be active again so I'm going to try to follow the rules this time.

cpresson

Going into week 3 on crutches and I have to say I am so tired of them. Working this week is helpful for my sanity, since I can't go anywhere on my own.

I have noticed that if I am sitting for too long and lean left (surgery was on my right hip) too fast, I often have this burning pain really quick. It almost feels like really adhesive tape is being torn off my skin and the pain feels like it is right under (between outer thigh and gluteus) where the portal sites are. Anyone ever experience this? It doesn't last but it's just weird...

Hip Redux

I had all sorts of whacky pains and aches in the first month.   Not that specifically, but the portals definitely felt weird at times.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Agreed, all kinds of weird pains the first month. Try not to worry too much!

Dmlc

Yep I get weird pinching and aching from time to time. I was trying to walk without my crutch but It wasn't working out so I'm back to using it most of the time unfortunately...

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The doc is happy with my progress and told PT to help me return to sport. So PT has been working me toward running. I have high hopes that I will be doing a walk/run program next week. Fingers crossed. I'm trying to be patient but I haven't run since January and I might cut someone.

Hip Redux

Yay, that's exciting!

Dmlc

That is so great ! I'm so happy for you. I'm having a real good day today as far as pain and walking. Although last Tuesday I was miserable and couldn't get off the couch. The PT thinks I may have unfortunately developed some tendinitis. So I'm really being careful what I do and I'm back to icing and taking ibuprofen regularly. I'm just hoping its some muscle pain and not tendinitis. I apparently have a few different issues we have been working on with my pelvis being crooked (from compensating for so long) and a leg length discrepancy. So hopefully we are on the right track and I start having more good days than bad. Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend !

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I had a touch of tendonitis during recovery, Ice, rest, ibuprofen.

I did a run/walk of 1.5 miles tonight. Kind of bittersweet. Nice to run but reminded me of how far I have been knocked down.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Clearly I was not patient. I was feeling depressed tonight and needed to try it. I feel like it went well.

cpresson

Had my first therapy session on Thursday. Felt good to do even some basic stretches. My therapist, who is a runner herself, and was my therapist after my knee surgery in November asked me if I still hoped to get back to ice hockey and distance running. I said of course, with a smile. But she told me that with the labral repair and the state of my knee (which is no good--it's been taking a hit because of my hip), distance running might not be the best choice in the future Sad

I found it interesting that a couple of exercises made my "good" hip hurt worse than the fixed one. But I guess that's a good sign that the repair has been successful. Hopefully I won't have to get the left hip fixed anytime soon.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Try not to think of not being able to run. Focus on rehabbing the hip and go from there.

My worst nightmare is that my other hip will screw up. I don't want to do this again. lol

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

How is everyone doing?