I can run 500 Miles in one month! (Well...maybe...) (Read 2126 times)

At least, that's what I'm hoping I can say come February...

I'm trying to raise money for Camp Sunshine so I'm doing a 1 More Mile challenge...of course, I decided to choose to do it in January in Maine, which means I'll have tougher weather to contend with than I would in November (the traditional 1MM month) plus January is 1 day longer...oh well, at least I don't have to worry about avoiding hunters. 

The general gist of the challenge is that I run at least 1 mile on the first, 2 miles on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd all the way to the end of the month when I run 31 miles on the 31st. (Hence,  Just 1 More Mile.)

Full details about my fund raising event including my daily updates of my progress, tips I pick up along the way, and various contests where I'll hopefully be giving away a lot of schwag can be seen at:  1 More Mile for Sunshine.com

Speaking of giving things away...I'm still waiting to hear back from a few companies with products related to recovery and endurance running, so this week I'm giving away one of my coaching CDs (plus 5 mp3s of the coaching session) on how to raise money for non-profits with your running.

No charge to enter.

And in the meantime...wish me luck! 

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Sounds like a great cause.  Good luck with the running.  The last week is going to be brutal.  If I every do this I would choose feb
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Sounds like a great cause.  Good luck with the running.  The last week is going to be brutal.  If I every do this I would choose feb

If I'd known that the actual Just 1 More Mile Challenge wasn't going to happen in January like it was supposed to, then I probably would have

I'd already committed to January though.

Run to Win

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Happy to help!  Wow...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I was thinking we could contribute to the challenge by pledging say 10 Cents for every mile over 300 miles, 20 for every mile over 400 or whatever, to give some extra motivation.  Maybe a PM to R2W if you want to remain anonymous and Blaine could just update the total pledged somewhere here.

I was thinking we could contribute to the challenge by pledging say 10 Cents for every mile over 300 miles, 20 for every mile over 400 or whatever, to give some extra motivation.  Maybe a PM to R2W if you want to remain anonymous and Blaine could just update the total pledged somewhere here.

That's Mike's biggest secret from his interview that I'm giving away, actually...

The first time he ran Sri Chinmoy, he did the 6 day version, and every time he finished a lap he would say "cha-ching" until the volunteers asked what he was doing.  Most of his donations were by the mile so every mile was money in the bank.  He did the same thing at the 10 day version, although he fell a wee bit short of his 500 miles in 10 days goal, unfortunately. 

Given that he couldn't really stand or walk an entire lap without leaning on a lightpost halfway through for half an hour, and when that began happening he still had about 80 miles to go, I'm just impressed he made it so close...within 10 miles or so I think if I remember correctly.

I'm not at a point where I can take 10 days off though so hopefully I can spread my 500 out over 31 days. Big grin

Run to Win

Mariposai

Good luck and please don't injure yourself in the process.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good luck and please don't injure yourself in the process.

That's the end goal...not to injure myself.  No idea what I'll do with this base afterwards, though, other than sleep for a few days straight.

I'm now 13 days down and 8 miles into day 14...but only 107 miles into the 500+ scheduled.  Definitely starting to notice it getting tougher to get out the door, although I'm still having a good time once I have.

I've got another contest going this week for anybody that wants free swag...this time sponsored by IceSpike:

http://www.1moremileforsunshine.com/201/how-to-run-in-slippery-conditions-plus-this-weeks-contest

Run to Win

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm curious to read about how it's going by the time it gets to..... um, about today, or this weekend, I think Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just so that you realize. 1 + 2 + ... + 31 = 31*32/2 = 496. So, you will have to throw in 4 more miles.

Just so that you realize. 1 + 2 + ... + 31 = 31*32/2 = 496. So, you will have to throw in 4 more miles.

Actually, they add up to 490 miles.

And I expect to make it the extra 10 miles just from the extra 5 miles on day 1 and the extra 1/3 or 1/2 mile that creeps in every day will add up to the rest or more.  In fact, I'm already 8.7 miles ahead of the schedule. But yeah, I know I need a few extra miles to get the 500.

Run to Win

Good luck, hoping you stay injury free and the weather stays above 25.

Prince of Fatness

That daily run graph is starting to look pretty cool.  Can't wait to see it at the end of the month.

Keep it going.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey.  R2W.  Happy Birthday!!!

Now go out and run some more.

Actually, they add up to 490 miles.

And I expect to make it the extra 10 miles just from the extra 5 miles on day 1 and the extra 1/3 or 1/2 mile that creeps in every day will add up to the rest or more.  In fact, I'm already 8.7 miles ahead of the schedule. But yeah, I know I need a few extra miles to get the 500.

I am a mathematician, but we do make mistakes. However, let me prove it to you. First write out the addition forward and then below that write it out backwards like so

1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 31

31 + 30 + 29 + ... + 1

Then add those two together term by term resulting in the following summation

1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 31

+(31 + 30 + 29 + ... + 1)

-------------------------------

32 + 32 + 32 + ... + 32

Now, that is 31 32's so this sums up to 31*32. However, this is twice as much as the original sum so I have to divide by two. This give me 31*32/2 = 496. Anyway, I just wanted you to be aware so that you didn't get near the end and finally realize.